• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Motte 'Extremely Pleased' With Exit Interview; Hopeful for Rangers Return

Phil

The UFA who is most likely to return is forward Tyler Motte, who sounded extremely pleased with how his exit interview went with Drury on Wednesday.

After failing to come to an agreement at the end of last season, Motte signed with Ottawa only for Drury to reacquire the feisty fourth-liner before this year’s trade deadline once again.

He was able to stay healthy for the most part this time around and ended up chipping in five goals and five assists in 24 games for the Rangers.

“Absolutely [I want to be back here],” he said. “Comfortable second time around here, for sure. Love this city, love this group.”

https://nypost.com/2023/05/03/rangers-kandre-miller-alexis-lafreniere-contracts-on-to-do-list/

--

On the latest episode of his podcast, Vince Mercogliano echoed a similar sentiment about Motte's potential/likelihood to return and talked about how he thinks if Motte is willing to accept an AAV south of the $1.35 million he signed in Ottawa for, this might be a Vesey-like situation where they give him an extra year or two to get everything settled quickly.

• Applause 1

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

https://nypost.com/2023/05/03/rangers-kandre-miller-alexis-lafreniere-contracts-on-to-do-list/

--

On the latest episode of his podcast, Vince Mercogliano echoed a similar sentiment about Motte's potential/likelihood to return and talked about how he thinks if Motte is willing to accept an AAV south of the $1.35 million he signed in Ottawa for, this might be a Vesey-like situation where they give him an extra year or two to get everything settled quickly.

I certainly would welcome Motte to stay for a couple more shots at it!  I like his style and he's a 100% gamer.  On a team friendly deal, he's a positive in my eyes.

• Keeps it 100 1

Those guys may need some seasoning in the AHL first, no?  2 years of Motte could give the Culleye's and Othmanns some time to get their shit together in the A, and then come up the "right way".

I dunno, seems to be the best way to bring up a rookie.  The jump to the NHL hasn't been too smooth for our other window lickers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

23 minutes ago, CCCP said:

screw Brodzinski but Cuylle has to make the club next season.  Signing Motte would probably block Cuylle and im not ok with that

Put Motte on the right side? I'm good with Cuylle-Goodrow-Motte opening night.

Edited by BrooksBurner

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Those guys may need some seasoning in the AHL first, no?  2 years of Motte could give the Culleye's and Othmanns some time to get their shit together in the A, and then come up the "right way".

I dunno, seems to be the best way to bring up a rookie.  The jump to the NHL hasn't been too smooth for our other window lickers.

Cuylle was an all-star in the A.  Why not give him a shot? 

They are going to need to save money anywhere they can. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Cuylle was an all-star in the A.  Why not give him a shot? 

They are going to need to save money anywhere they can. 

...thought he was in junior...my bad, RJ!   We sure could use some good players on the "cheap", that's for sure!

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I like Motte, but I think he's being replaced by someone getting right around the league minimum like Cuylle or Brodzinski.

Cuylle could still make the team. He's a left-wing. Motte mostly plays right-wing. They need a fourth-line center if they trade Goodrow. Maybe that's Brodzinski, or some other signing like Kampf, but I don't think these guys are in direct competition.

Othmann probably should play the year in the A anyway, so a fourth line of Cuylle-X-Motte should be on the table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Cuylle could still make the team. He's a left-wing. Motte mostly plays right-wing. They need a fourth-line center if they trade Goodrow. Maybe that's Brodzinski, or some other signing like Kampf, but I don't think these guys are in direct competition.

Othmann probably should play the year in the A anyway, so a fourth line of Cuylle-X-Motte should be on the table.

Cuylle and Brodzinski have been linemates throughout this season with the Wolf Pack. They’ve had some success together so it wouldn’t hurt to keep the pair. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Cuylle and Brodzinski have been linemates throughout this season with the Wolf Pack. They’ve had some success together so it wouldn’t hurt to keep the pair. 

Brodzinski doesn't really move the needle for me, but honestly, I'm not sure any fourth-line player does, or should. Cuylle-Brodzinski-Motte should be a fine fourth-line.

• VINNY! 1