• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Locked in 3rd in Metro

Keirik

34 minutes ago, Flynn said:

The past 4 seasons the record has been 14-12 vs Carolina. Not exactly what I’d call ownership. 

My mistake, for some reason I thought the Rangers beat the Canes pretty much 3 out of 4 games going back the last 5-6 years.....Could have sworn that MSG always posts a ridiculous stat like the Rangers are 14-1-1 against the Canes the last 3 seasons or something like that.  Funny math?!?!

I’d prefer the Devils. I think this team is itching for the playoffs, and I think the rivalry plus the playoffs will light a giant fire under their ass. I expect them to show up big time. I think that moment may be a bit too much for the Devils, but it won’t be for the Rangers. And that Devils team has not faced much adversity this season. If we walk in there and beat them Game 1, suddenly there is a ton of pressure there on them. If it is them, I’m treating Game 1 like a Game 7. Let’s let some doubt creep into that locker room.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

My mistake, for some reason I thought the Rangers beat the Canes pretty much 3 out of 4 games going back the last 5-6 years.....Could have sworn that MSG always posts a ridiculous stat like the Rangers are 14-1-1 against the Canes the last 3 seasons or something like that.  Funny math?!?!

We had owned Carolina for a really long time. Especially in MSG. I think that honoring of the 1994 team back in 2019 was the Canes first win in the Garden in years.

We played them well during the season that we shut down. Didn’t they get mad about having to play us in the bubble? Then they smacked us around. And last year in the regular season, they kicked our fucking ass every time we played them. Our one win was in a game we had like 20 shots and they had close to 50 and Georgiev stood on his head for a shutout.

• Like 1

Also, another thing to keep in mind: Lindy Ruff has a history of being, at times in the playoffs, a temperamental baby who throws tantrums if he doesn’t get his way. If that happens and happens to rub off on his young players, the Rangers could see some PP’s based off that alone in a potential Devils series. Another fact I like.

• Applause 1

I'll be honest. We should beat any team we have to face with our roster. However, I'd still prefer the Canes just for the sheer fact that we beat them already and are even better this year than last. They know this too. My worry with the Devils is how they've played us plus being too niave to know a playoff pressure. Regular season aside, they can waltz into the playoffs with the "why not us" attitude rather than the oressure filled "it should be us." 

Plus they have one of the most impactful players in Hughes just begging for this stage to announce his full blown arrival to the hockey world 

• VINNY! 1

Game 7 definitely has home ice advantage and scoreboard pressure from the team that scores first (historically), so best for Rangers to win their first round series earlier. Ending a series in 5 or 6 games definitely helps save the legs and allows a break before the next series.

Prepared road teams have an edge by winning one or two of the first games on the road, and it gets a lot tougher if you lose the first 2 road games and have to win 4 out of 5.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/playoff-history.cgi

We made it hard on ourselves last year by easing into the Penguin series and needing 7 games for both the Penguins and Hurricanes.

From what we've seen this year, I'm confident the Rangers can beat any team in a 7 game series.  The Devils and the Canes are also good enough to bounce us out in the first round.  I'm choosing to be positive and hoping for a deep run when looking at the roster, Shesterkin's improved play, and our recent record.

The Canes are going to be tough every game and make you compete every shift.  The Devils have had an impressive year.  There aren't many holes on either roster.  In order to get out of the Metro, I think we're going to have to beat both - but I think facing the Canes first would be to our advantage because if the Rangers try to coast and make cute passes the Canes will just run roughshod for a period or two, and it will help the Rangers up their game to playoff expectations.

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not necessarily. The Devils would still need a W (or OTL I believe) tonight to actually pass them.

Well, the Devils play the Caps and the Panthers the Hurricanes. Florida has all of the incentives to beat Carolina at home; like not playing Boston in the first round, instead, playing the Devils, If the Devils win that is...