• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Night Agent

Phil

Same. I'm ripping through it, too. Had some time to kill this morning before work so I watched another episode. I'm seven deep now in, I think, a 10 episode first season. I can really see the big picture forming, but I know there's gonna be some massive swerve at the end, just like 24.

I mean, that's a stretch, I think. But it might be accurate to Netflix, specifically. Reacher, for example, is probably a much better series, but is on Prime.

I really enjoyed this, though, and want more. It had some real issues with pace and acting/casting (the Asian woman was the worst actress I've ever seen), but it has all the markings of an evergreen series for as long as they think they can create.

It could be their version of Homeland, honestly.

8 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, that's a stretch, I think. But it might be accurate to Netflix, specifically. Reacher, for example, is probably a much better series, but is on Prime.

I really enjoyed this, though, and want more. It had some real issues with pace and acting/casting (the Asian woman was the worst actress I've ever seen), but it has all the markings of an evergreen series for as long as they think they can create.

It could be their version of Homeland, honestly.

I enjoyed it, but yea could have been an episode or two shorter and there was definitely no award winning performances.  

They probably could have gone to eight and still wrapped it up nicely, but I was fine with ten. Some of the acting was really fucking bad, though, lol. Like, again, the Asian woman who played the Chief of Staff is probably the worst actor I've ever seen. Incapable of emoting. Leads were good. Especially the woman who played Rose.

We'll have to wait to hear about what the ratings are like for it, but it pretty quickly became the number one show on Netflix, and the way they ended it left it completely open to a new season. I feel like they can definitely get at least one more season out of it.

It reminds me some of Designated Survivor, which went for three seasons.

17 hours ago, Phil said:

They probably could have gone to eight and still wrapped it up nicely, but I was fine with ten. Some of the acting was really fucking bad, though, lol. Like, again, the Asian woman who played the Chief of Staff is probably the worst actor I've ever seen. Incapable of emoting. Leads were good. Especially the woman who played Rose.

I thought some of the dialogue, especially between Rose and Peter, was great. It felt really natural and there was some chemistry there. Some of the other dialogue - like between Monks and Arrington and especially the Chief of Staff - was super wooden like it was straight out of a video game. They can work out the kinks for sure in Season 2 assuming they recognize some of the issues with Season 1.

16 hours ago, Phil said:

We'll have to wait to hear about what the ratings are like for it, but it pretty quickly became the number one show on Netflix, and the way they ended it left it completely open to a new season. I feel like they can definitely get at least one more season out of it.

It reminds me some of Designated Survivor, which went for three seasons.

It was already renewed for Season 2:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/night-agent-renewed-season-2-netflix-1235568118/

The Night Agent” has earned a speedy Season 2 renewal at Netflix, Variety has learned.

The action thriller series debuted on the streaming service less than a week ago, on March 23. It proved to be popular immediately, rocketing up to the top of Netflix’s weekly Top 10 chart with 168.71 million hours viewed. The second season will consist of 10 episodes.

And the ratings for the show are insane:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/the-night-agent-netflix-most-popular-tv-series-love-is-blind-ratings-1235317901/

In its second week on the service, the action thriller amassed another 216.4 million hours viewed from March 27-April 2, easily reigning over the Top 10 for the week. Not only did it increase viewership significantly in its second week, it also has positioned itself to likely be crowned one of Netflix’s all-time most-watched TV series.

Since its release, The Night Agent has tallied 385M viewing hours, making it about 120M away from hitting the all-time Top 10 TV list. Currently the 10th spot is taken by Ginny & Georgia Season 2 with just over half a billion viewing hours.

Ratings like that make you really wonder if Fox will ever revive 24 for another run. There's clearly a goldmine here. 

• Applause 1

This is great news. I really see this going the same route as Designated Survivor did. It's basically a TV version of the any of the Splinter Cell/Hawx/Ghost Recon series that David Michaels wrote. You can do a new "story" in each season but largely based on the same recurring characters who will act/interact in various years.