• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gerard Gallant, Sigh

goondman

I could see Q getting another chance, I just don't think it will be here. The Rangers are the kind of organization that shies away from that kind of attention he will get if he does get hired. The media will be nuts. He's a fantastic coach, no doubt, but I don't think they want that baggage. I would love to be wrong, because he's the only guy I'd want not named Peter Laviolette.

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, Sod16 said:

I  don't want to poo-poo an accomplishment.  I just don't want to exagerate it, as they do on the NHL Network by constantly ballyhooing "records" that are not records at all.  The Bruins are having the best regular season over the past 10 years.  That's a nice accomplishment, but not a "record" in any real sense.

Just going to respond with record-setting season.

Think about it.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I hear ya, Goondman....I still prefer Queneville though.  Despite all the bullshit, he's going to get another chance again, and I want it to be with us.

Agreed! Hopefully we don't miss the boat. Should that boat be available anyway

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

GG strategy for dealing with the Devils speed: start juggling lines when we are down 3-0 at the seven minute mark of the second period.

And benching Kakko for a Dryden Hunt equivalent like Leschyshyn

On 4/17/2023 at 11:05 PM, siddious said:

This threads gonna be great to read through in a few weeks after the rangers win the cup. 

He deserves credit for that game 1. The game plan was perfect and he had the boys ready from puck drop.

He has some flaws, but man has this been exaggerated. He just took this team from no playoffs to back-to-back 100p seasons and a ECF in his first season. Not really sure what people were expecting.

It's been funny reading this thread and then go on a Devils board and read how much they envy us for Gallant. They've come around on Ruff, but almost everyone would still take Gallant over him.

Me thinks Gallant is the perfect coach for the roster we have. I think a coach who lives and dies by his "system" wouldn't work well with most of the players we have. Especially the top talent, they need to be free to do their own thing.

I'd love to see the Devils with GG at the helm and their goaltending. Have at it. Should be good for about 4 against per game. 

There's no top talent that's "free to do their own thing" in the defensive zone on well coached teams. And that's where the problem lies with this team. They have no clue how to defend in their own zone, or where to go when they don't have the puck.

One win doesn't change that. 

Edited by Pete

33 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

What about 99 wins over the last two regular seasons?

They were 4th in GAA with Igor having a bad season. This «they have no idea how to defend» narrative is way overblown.

For most of the season they were top 3 in HDCA.

They were also horrible defensively last season and it was well documented.

So no it isn't overblown. 

And Igor didn't have a bad season. He just didn't replicate last season. T2 in wins, 6th in GAA, 8th in SP% (All stats among goes with 40 starts)

Edited by Pete

51 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

What about 99 wins over the last two regular seasons?

They were 4th in GAA with Igor having a bad season. This «they have no idea how to defend» narrative is way overblown.

Except Igor didn't have a bad season.  Had had some bad stretches, during which they were a .500 team.  Halak lost his first 7 or eight straight games.  When the goalies are on they win.  When the goalies are off they lose.  

• Bullseye 1

If the Rangers lose the series I think he's better than 50/50 to get the heave-ho.

If you're going to rely on your players to set the tone you need a superstar or two to help with that and that's something the Rangers do not have handy at the moment.

Vesey played under 8 minutes and Panarin over 20, but sure, playing the 4th line too much was the problem here.

We scored two goals in two home games against a rookie goalie and we're back to blaming the coach. Can't blame him for "no defensive structure" anymore because that's been really good, so now we're blaming him for Mika and Panarin not being able to score a single freaking goal. Amazing lol.

Still not heard from anyone what you think Gallant should've done here. The first two games were perfect, so obviously we don't change anything from that. Game 3 was also good, just couldn't finish and didn't get any bounces. So, what was he supposed to do here? Open up and play to Devils' strenghts? Changing lines again?

Devils have scored 3 EV goals in 4 games. Two bad goals by Igor (OT in game 3, GWG in game 4) and a breakaway where Fox misplayed the breakout (1st goal game 4).

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Kept rolling out the 4th line with less than 10 to go in the game. Just brutal decision making. 

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Horrible. And I’m a Gallant fan.

I get your top guys were crap. But ride those horses. You’re down a goal in a crucial playoff game. You ride those bastards.

Instead, he goes soft and puts out 3/4 liners. Just a joke.

If Gallant keeps running his top two lines in the final 10 minutes of a game four (game 3 as well), he risks running them into the ground. Pretty sure he's is looking ahead. If this goes 7, he needs them to be as fresh as possible.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:52 AM, Long live the King said:

Except Igor didn't have a bad season.  Had had some bad stretches, during which they were a .500 team.  Halak lost his first 7 or eight straight games.  When the goalies are on they win.  When the goalies are off they lose.  

Sounds like every other team in the NHL.

• Bullseye 1

38 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

If Gallant keeps running his top two lines in the final 10 minutes of a game four (game 3 as well), he risks running them into the ground. Pretty sure he's is looking ahead. If this goes 7, he needs them to be as fresh as possible.

It’s the playoffs. No one is saying to leave them on the ice for 19 minutes in a row. But if you’re down a goal with 2 minutes to go and you can’t play your horses because of the issue of fatigue (plus throw in that we did use a TO), then what the hell are we paying them for?

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1