• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kings to Acquire Vladislav Gavrikov and Joonas Korpisalo From Blue Jackets; Jonathan Quick Headed to Columbus

Were they that cap stressed that they had to do this?  This makes Eddie Giacomin's exit look as if it was by royal carriage.

You may need to get over the Quick hate.  He could be a very low budget #2 option next year if Halak is either done or we can't afford $1.5m.

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Quick fucking sucks, so I doubt anyone would want him. 

Same, but I get it -- he's had a legendary career for them. To get dumped in a deal like this to Columbus is a real dick punch.

• Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Same, but I get it -- he's had a legendary career for them. To get dumped in a deal like this to Columbus is a real dick punch.

Shouldn't have been completely unplayable then. He's got a .876 SV% and 3.50 GAA. That's not a swan song, that's a nosedive straight through the Earth's crust.

The only other option was to waive him, which they probably should have done, but no one in their right mind was going to claim him. Is that really that much better? 

See, we saw how this works first-hand with Lundqvist, who was equally terrible in his last year. We fucking bought him out. He signed for another team and never played another game due to a heart condition.  We bought him out so we can sign Georgiev, Brendan Lemiuex, and Tony D. Gorton did a lot of good and a lot of bad, but for me, that was inexcusable. Henrik Lundqvist should be allowed to go out in his terms. He's earned that by being the best goalie in the history of the franchise and one of the best goalies in the history of the game. 

There's absolutely no world where Gavrikov and Korpisalo win the Kings the cup this year or even make them remotely competitive moreso than they already are. So they ship off their franchise's best goaltender who was a massive reason why they won the cups they did, for absolutely no reason except someone was willing to eat his contract. Nobody on columbus was like, "yo, let's get J Quick and we'll be good". 

Hate to see it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valriera said:

See, we saw how this works first-hand with Lundqvist, who was equally terrible in his last year. We fucking bought him out. He signed for another team and never played another game due to a heart condition.  We bought him out so we can sign Georgiev, Brendan Lemiuex, and Tony D. Gorton did a lot of good and a lot of bad, but for me, that was inexcusable. Henrik Lundqvist should be allowed to go out in his terms. He's earned that by being the best goalie in the history of the franchise and one of the best goalies in the history of the game. 

There's absolutely no world where Gavrikov and Korpisalo win the Kings the cup this year or even make them remotely competitive moreso than they already are. So they ship off their franchise's best goaltender who was a massive reason why they won the cups they did, for absolutely no reason except someone was willing to eat his contract. Nobody on columbus was like, "yo, let's get J Quick and we'll be good". 

Hate to see it. 

Sorry, but the bolded just isn't true. A solid defenseman and Korpisalo, who has the better goaltending stats than any of Copley, Quick, and Petersson while playing for fucking Columbus? This certainly improves their odds.

I agree with you that it's completely shitty to bounce Quick, as it was to buy out Lundqvist.

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Hate to see it. 

Lundqvist absolutely wasn't this bad. 

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Shouldn't have been completely unplayable then. He's got a .876 SV% and 3.50 GAA. That's not a swan song, that's a nosedive straight through the Earth's crust.

The only other option was to waive him, which they probably should have done, but no one in their right mind was going to claim him. Is that really that much better? 

No, again, I get it. I'm with you. I'm trying to play Devil's Advocate and see it through Quick's perspective. Brodeur when through a similar issue with the Devils those last few years.

All I'm saying is I can understand why he'd be so upset, even though I agree that practically, this needed to happen.

18 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Lundqvist absolutely wasn't this bad. 

Yeah, not even close. The best comparison is Brodeur. He was back-to-back .901 with the Devils those last two years and was .899 with the Blues in seven games. That's not nearly as bad as Quick is right now, but for Brodeur, it was horrendous.

Damn, what a sad end to his career in LA. That man is a legend there, and to finish in Columbus is shitty. He'll just retire at the end of the season anyway, but not the way you wanted to see him end his career. Like that tweet says, hopefully they flip him to a contender.