• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Anton Forsberg Out Indefinitely After Tearing MCL in Both Knees

jsm7302

• Phil changed the title to Anton Forsberg Out Indefinitely After Tearing MCL in Both Knees
19 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Forsberg should sue Hamonic. What a total idiot.

I am genuinely curious why NHL defenders do this. Is it to avoid the risk of slewfooting? Because to me, the logical method of clearing your crease isn't to push anyone in, but to pull them away.

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

I am genuinely curious why NHL defenders do this. Is it to avoid the risk of slewfooting? Because to me, the logical method of clearing your crease isn't to push anyone in, but to pull them away.

It's pretty hard to pull someone, especially on skates. Much easier to push them.

It's an instinct - a stupid one, but an instinct nonetheless - to push the guy if you got beat. All they know is the guy beat them, there's a scoring threat, and they gotta hope the guy falling on your goalie causes some sort of goalie interference. There's zero regard for the goalie in that position though. 

Just now, Morphinity 2.0 said:

It's pretty hard to pull someone, especially on skates. Much easier to push them.

It's an instinct - a stupid one, but an instinct nonetheless - to push the guy if you got beat. All they know is the guy beat them, there's a scoring threat, and they gotta hope the guy falling on your goalie causes some sort of goalie interference. There's zero regard for the goalie in that position though. 

I should rephrase. I don't mean to literally pull. Physiologically it makes little sense to try. Most of the players weight is likely leaning forward on their stick, and you're at a complete angle disadvantage. What I mean is that we often see defenders angle in and try to leverage in on the hips with an opponent. The technique is used most often to lift a stick straight up off the ice, so in a situation like this, why not instinctively do the same and then use that motion to push them backwards?

It just feels like in almost every possible scenario, pushing the guy forward into your own goalie is just a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I should rephrase. I don't mean to literally pull. Physiologically it makes little sense to try. Most of the players weight is likely leaning forward on their stick, and you're at a complete angle disadvantage. What I mean is that we often see defenders angle in and try to leverage in on the hips with an opponent. The technique is used most often to lift a stick straight up off the ice, so in a situation like this, why not instinctively do the same and then use that motion to push them backwards?

It just feels like in almost every possible scenario, pushing the guy forward into your own goalie is just a bad idea.

It's hard for me to get into Hamonic's 10 IQ brain, but I'll try...

I think he was taking the path of least resistance, just knocking the guy over, and hoping to draw a goaltender interference call.

In this particular circumstance, I think it would have been hard to get in a position to do what you're describing. He'd have to basically get behind his goaltender who's trying to play his position and then leverage Hyman off.

6 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

It's hard for me to get into Hamonic's 10 IQ brain, but I'll try...

I think he was taking the path of least resistance, just knocking the guy over, and hoping to draw a goaltender interference call.

In this particular circumstance, I think it would have been hard to get in a position to do what you're describing. He'd have to basically get behind his goaltender who's trying to play his position and then leverage Hyman off.

Yeah, true. It's such an unwinnable position to be in, though, as a defender. You can't leave a guy there and not do something, but the path of least resistence is always incredibly dangerous.