• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

These Are the Good Old Days

Tomas Sandstrom

As a 49 year old, lifelong Rangers fan, I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I LOVE watching this team.

Thinking about Valentine's Day today, and realized my heart is truly with this team, right now.  These ARE the Good Old Days.  The time before we inevitably lose one of our young core to free agency or a trade (that's gonna be a very sad day for me).

I'm not sure in my lifetime, I've seen a Rangers team quite as talented overall from top to bottom.  Nothing can ever replace '94, that team forever holds a special place at the top, but this feels a bit different.

This build feels very home-grown, but with a NY flare to it (I.E. big free agent signing in Panarin...big trade for Tarasenko, and before that, Trouba).

When has a Rangers team ever had this much top young talent making such key contributions?  Chytil...Shesterkin...K'Andre...Laf....Kakko....Schneider...

Even guys like Zib and Fox, although not drafted by the Rangers, but acquired when they were still very young.  Being able to watch them grow into absolute superstars is special and should not be taken for granted.

So while there are certainly things to complain about, as Valentine's Day approaches, I urge you to take a minute to truly appreciate what we have here:  Nothing short of one of the best, most talented teams in the NHL.

Happy Valentine's Day, fellow NYR fans!

Edited by Tomas Sandstrom
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • JIMMY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

We've certainly been through quite a bit to get to this point.  There's no mistaking that Messier will probably go down as probably one of the best Captains, and leaders this game has ever seen.  That '93-'94 season was an absolute magical journey the whole way.

The roster was basically the "The Edmonton Ranger-Hawks", but either way, that team came together for a very special season.

This team seems very tight, and it is pretty much comprised of "homegrown" talent with a few exceptions in there.  I guess the way the game is now, that's going to be the case with a tight salary cap.

But yes, the window is now open for business, and I really feel very confident that Chris Drury has a great feel for what we're going to do, and how to get back to winning the Cup.  He's been really good in bringing in players that add to the mix, and how he's acquired some of these big time players by only spending very little on them is testament to why so many teams were interested in having him as their GM.

This has been the most fun team to watch that we've iced in a very long time....I haven't missed a single one all season!

• Applause 1
  • Believe 1

I think from when the letter was sent out to now, they've done a really good job. Far from perfect of course, but still good. Considering it only took three years or so of no playoffs, the turnaround is not terrible and they're set up nicely going forward. I think Gorton/JD should be commended on it, and Drury, still a bit green as a GM, is getting there and has had pulled off some excellent moves these last couple of seasons.

I felt things turn around in 19-20 but unfortunately COVID happened and the league shut down, which messed up the Rangers' season. They were playing some of the best hockey in the league at that point. They still got in as that qualifier, but their momentum was kind of shot and it just wasn't the same. Including that, and since, it's been a solid job putting a contender together. I just hope they can afford mostly everybody. lol

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think from when the letter was sent out to now, they've done a really good job. Far from perfect of course, but still good. Considering it only took three years or so of no playoffs, the turnaround is not terrible and they're set up nicely going forward. I think Gorton/JD should be commended on it, and Drury, still a bit green as a GM, is getting there and has had pulled off some excellent moves these last couple of seasons.

I felt things turn around in 19-20 but unfortunately COVID happened and the league shut down, which messed up the Rangers' season. They were playing some of the best hockey in the league at that point. They still got in as that qualifier, but their momentum was kind of shot and it just wasn't the same. Including that, and since, it's been a solid job putting a contender together. I just hope they can afford mostly everybody. lol

Well put.

I also fear that these young guys are going to be "too good" to be able to keep them all together, given the reality of the cap.  Although, it might be possible if Drury can get creative, and maybe a little luck comes our way (in the form of a player or 2 excepting slightly less than they otherwise could make in order to help keep the team together). 

Most likely, within 2 years, at least one of of our young core guys are gone.   

I am enjoying every moment of this team while I can 🙂

Watching the run last year was special.  That took me all the way back to the '79 run to the finals.

This team has more talent than the '79 team or last year's team.  You can make a pretty good argument that we have 3 defenders at least that would be in the top pair on most franchises and we have 3 scoring lines and of course Shesterkin who is the best goalie in the NHL for my money.  The backup is not to shabby either.

• Believe 1

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Watching the run last year was special.  That took me all the way back to the '79 run to the finals.

This team has more talent than the '79 team or last year's team.  You can make a pretty good argument that we have 3 defenders at least that would be in the top pair on most franchises and we have 3 scoring lines and of course Shesterkin who is the best goalie in the NHL for my money.  The backup is not to shabby either.

BINGO....that's what I'm talking about.  

Top to bottom, everywhere you look on this roster, it ooozes talent...

I mean, you can make an argument that this team right now has:

- Best Goaltending pair in Rangers history (although Richter and Vanbiesbrouck may have something to say about that)

- Best Defensive unit, 1-6

- Best scoring punch across the entire lineup

Time will tell, but I'm telling you, we are watching something rare and special here.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:31 AM, Tomas Sandstrom said:

As a 49 year old, lifelong Rangers fan, I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I LOVE watching this team.

Thinking about Valentine's Day today, and realized my heart is truly with this team, right now.  These ARE the Good Old Days.  The time before we inevitably lose one of our young core to free agency or a trade (that's gonna be a very sad day for me).

I'm not sure in my lifetime, I've seen a Rangers team quite as talented overall from top to bottom.  Nothing can ever replace '94, that team forever holds a special place at the top, but this feels a bit different.

This build feels very home-grown, but with a NY flare to it (I.E. big free agent signing in Panarin...big trade for Tarasenko, and before that, Trouba).

When has a Rangers team ever had this much top young talent making such key contributions?  Chytil...Shesterkin...K'Andre...Laf....Kakko....Schneider...

Even guys like Zib and Fox, although not drafted by the Rangers, but acquired when they were still very young.  Being able to watch them grow into absolute superstars is special and should not be taken for granted.

So while there are certainly things to complain about, as Valentine's Day approaches, I urge you to take a minute to truly appreciate what we have here:  Nothing short of one of the best, most talented teams in the NHL.

Happy Valentine's Day, fellow NYR fans!

Well, there were the 92/93 Rangers... Had some young talent: Zubov, Leetch, Turcotte, Amonte, to name a few and no playoffs that season, let alone a Stanley Cup. 

I for one am convinced of nothing, and have come to the realization 93/94 is the one and only SC ill see in this life time 😕

2 minutes ago, goondman said:

Well, there were the 92/93 Rangers... Had some young talent: Zubov, Leetch, Turcotte, Amonte, to name a few and no playoffs that season, let alone a Stanley Cup. 

I for one am convinced of nothing, and have come to the realization 93/94 is the one and only SC ill see in this life time 😕

go away gtfo GIF

• Bullseye 2

40 minutes ago, goondman said:

92-93 went down the shitter when Leetch broke his ankle.  91-92 was another year they were loaded and couldn't get it done.