• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Tarasenko (50%), Mikkola From Blues for Blais, Hunter Skinner, Conditional 1st & 4th

Cash or Czech

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

We're due for a new highlight reel clip this year, Zuuuc man!!!  😉

Ya know Oz .....I feel like the reel may be a bit longer this post season.....too many playoff performers on this roster to not expect the same!!!

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Ya know Oz .....I feel like the reel may be a bit longer this post season.....too many playoff performers on this roster to not expect the same!!!

This time it's for real, JSM!!!  We hardened our skin last season a bit, and this year it's "Take it to the tape"!!! 

We have all the horses to do this, so let's make it so!!!! 

9 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Tarasenko now up to 4 goals, 4 assists in 11 games played. Seems to be getting comfy, using his shot, going to the net. I honestly wish we could somehow keep him beyond this year. Something different and not a perimeter player for sure.

That's why I liked Vatrano last year and Tarasenko is a much better version.

11 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Tarasenko now up to 4 goals, 4 assists in 11 games played. Seems to be getting comfy, using his shot, going to the net. I honestly wish we could somehow keep him beyond this year. Something different and not a perimeter player for sure.

They'll likely choose between he and Kane as to who sticks around beyond this year. But that's entirely dependent on playoff performance, IMO.

Even though we lost that game last night, how sick was it to watch these guys all play together?

Once this team gels, I think it's going to be an onslaught.  I can't even get on the defense.  They've been playing over 20 minutes apiece, and those 3rd pairing guys aren't here for that.  Once the "Ultimate warrior" and "Gaylord Perry" get back, we're gonna be outstanding.

These last 20 games are going to be Must see TV!

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Even though we lost that game last night, how sick was it to watch these guys all play together?

Once this team gels, I think it's going to be an onslaught.  I can't even get on the defense.  They've been playing over 20 minutes apiece, and those 3rd pairing guys aren't here for that.  Once the "Ultimate warrior" and "Gaylord Perry" get back, we're gonna be outstanding.

These last 20 games are going to be Must see TV!

I agree to a point, Oz. I think Mikkola and Harpur are making mistakes because they're playing more minutes that a) they're used to and b) they should. But I don't think having Miller and Lindgren back fixes D zone coverage. A lot of our goals against last night and throughout the season are the forwards looking to break out with the D man making the play instead of covering the open guy in front. And I don't know if they fix that without coaching. Unfortunately, I don't think Gallant knows how to use a VCR, DVD player, or mp4. 

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Bullseye 1

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I agree to a point, Oz. I think Mikkola and Harpur are making mistakes because they're playing more minutes that a) they're used to and b) they should. But I don't think having Miller and Lindgren back fixes D zone coverage. A lot of our goals against last night and throughout the season are the forwards looking to break out with the D man making the play instead of covering the open guy in front. And I don't know if they fix that without coaching. Unfortunately, I don't think Gallant knows how to use a VCR, DVD player, or mp4. 

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The defensive zone coverage has been pretty bad all year, with or without them in the lineup. That is the huge concern going into this playoff run.

Oh definitely, we've sucked badly in our own zone.  I always make fun of us not being able to clear the zone.  I'm just looking at the talent level on this team, and in my memory I can't remember any team, including that '94 team that had this many superstars.

I don't fault the players 100% for our defensive woes, although they've had their struggles with dumb shit too.  This team goes as Igor goes for the last 2 seasons under Gallant.

We'll be better with Lindy and K', but it's not going to solve anything structure-wise, I agree.  If only we had my guy Quenneville!  LOL

1 hour ago, Phil said:

They'll likely choose between he and Kane as to who sticks around beyond this year. But that's entirely dependent on playoff performance, IMO.

It'll be about who's willing to take less, irrespective of playoffs.

27 minutes ago, Phil said:

Probably, yeah. I feel like Kane will take less to stay.

I think Kane is here to stay.

He scratched and clawed to get here, as we were his only preferred destination. And it was hard enough to leave Chicago. I don’t see him moving and leaving again.

People brought up a return to Chicago. But the guy wants to win. By the time they’re going to be ready to win, Kane will be ready to retire.

I guess now that Buffalo is good, that is always a potential landing spot too, as it is where he grew up. But I’ve always found that to be a bit overblown. I could be wrong.

I don’t know. Like I said, he did a lot to get here. I don’t think the plan was for it to be for 20 games, playoffs and then leave. I think he’ll be more likely to take a discount at this stage of his career to stay in a big market with a chance to win than Vladdy, who is younger and hasn’t made as much $$ across his career as Kane has.

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think Kane is here to stay.

He scratched and clawed to get here, as we were his only preferred destination. And it was hard enough to leave Chicago. I don’t see him moving and leaving again.

People brought up a return to Chicago. But the guy wants to win. By the time they’re going to be ready to win, Kane will be ready to retire.

I guess now that Buffalo is good, that is always a potential landing spot too, as it is where he grew up. But I’ve always found that to be a bit overblown. I could be wrong.

I don’t know. Like I said, he did a lot to get here. I don’t think the plan was for it to be for 20 games, playoffs and then leave. I think he’ll be more likely to take a discount at this stage of his career to stay in a big market with a chance to win than Vladdy, who is younger and hasn’t made as much $$ across his career as Kane has.

I'm leaning towards this as well and kind of see it as a Martin St. Louis situation except I think Kane is better and could even be here longer than another year depending.

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm leaning towards this as well and kind of see it as a Martin St. Louis situation except I think Kane is better and could even be here longer than another year depending.

Yep. Similar to MSL or even Shanahan.

Kane doesn’t seem like he likes change that much. We were where he wanted to end up, and even still you can tell leaving Chicago was a tough decision. He was never turning the Rangers down, but I think it was hard to cut the cord.

He’s made a ton of money in his career. Not saying he’ll stay here and play for nothing. But I think there could be a discount somewhere in there. Playing close to his parents (closer than Chicago), big market, good team. I think he’ll be here beyond this run.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep. Similar to MSL or even Shanahan.

Kane doesn’t seem like he likes change that much. We were where he wanted to end up, and even still you can tell leaving Chicago was a tough decision. He was never turning the Rangers down, but I think it was hard to cut the cord.

He’s made a ton of money in his career. Not saying he’ll stay here and play for nothing. But I think there could be a discount somewhere in there. Playing close to his parents (closer than Chicago), big market, good team. I think he’ll be here beyond this run.

What is his value? How do they afford it?

This could turn into an albatross very quickly if they aren't careful.

9 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Kane?

I think he would sign a sweetheart deal to stay. I think coming in he knew everything there was to know about the Rangers. I really do. I think he had his eye on us for awhile, and knows the cap crunch, the players, etc. 

I don’t think he’s going to be looking to move too much.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Kane?

I think he would sign a sweetheart deal to stay. I think coming in he knew everything there was to know about the Rangers. I really do. I think he had his eye on us for awhile, and knows the cap crunch, the players, etc. 

I don’t think he’s going to be looking to move too much.

I agree with the sentiment but knowing our cap situation, it is going to be tough to get him, Miller and Chytil under contract. (Laf is an afterthought because he won't command near as much).

17 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Probably like two years, $3M per.

I feel like they can effectively just give him Goodrow's money.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly. We got Goodrow for his experience. And I like Goodrow. But Kane has experience too. If I can deal him and turn around and give Kane that same deal, I’m doing it and replacing Goodrow with Cuylle next season.

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

I feel like at this point we can safely get Miller and Laf earmarked for less than anticipated. Chytil's cooled off a little and that helps, so it's possible Kane fits even without getting rid of Goodrow.