• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Coach G, What Is the Plan?

Valriera

Since Gallant knows everything, or at least wants to give off the vibe that he does, I'm going to pause all doubt and give him the benefit for now. I'm going to suspend disbelief at questionable staffing decisions, development decisions, everything.

I'm going to ask a simple question.

I challenge the most knowledgable hockey forum on Earth to honestly answer the question: What IS the Rangers' game plan? 

Every hockey team I've ever been on, including beer league teams, have some sort of plan in the D and O zones. What's the Rangers' plan? 

Counter punch and score on the rush 5v5. Failing that—and it will fail more often than not, because they're still a below average 5v5 team—ride a decent power play and the fact you have the best or one of the best goaltenders in the league.

That's the game plan. Same plan as last year. Only difference is the team's "2C" shoots a little more and is better on face-offs than last years'.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

It's probably easier to tell you what it ISN'T, Val!  LOL

• It's not a man to man
  • It's not a zone
  • it's not a left wing lock, although I've seen some semblance of it....probably by accident!  😉
  • It's definitely not a trap (NZ or other)

I've played and watched this game for over 50 years, and for the life of me, I have no fucking clue what they're doing out there!!! 

If I had to guess, here's what I would say:

In the D-Zone: It's some sort of modified "Man/Zone" where the F4 has to collapse to pick up any odd man or pinching defenseman from the point.

Off the rush: I see basically the defense try to push the rush to the perimeter, and the F3 picks up the lagging offensive player.

The main issue I see is that there's no real breakout or "clear the zone" plan.  It's either Fox/Miller skates it out, Ice it!  ....or bang it off the boards/glass!

this right there is where GG is losing me. Just listen to that 1 minute of time below. He flat out says he’s not going to play the kids over vets because he is trying to win the game. Well, if you are trying to WIN the game, you go with your BEST performing lines. He flat out abandoned the kid line late despite being the only line even doing anything. They played I believe 1 shift in the last 5 for about 15 seconds at the very end of the game. 
    If you want to win the game then put the best players out there that give you a chance at that win. That means a fresh kid line in OT or part of it with a D. That means getting pp2 out there for longer looks to put the game away first rather than the ol battleaxes that weren’t bringing much last night.  No one in their right mind watching last nights game thought any line but the kid line gave the Rangers the best chance last night. Such a shame because just a little trust las5 night really could have been the stepping stone the kid line could use to go to that next level. At some point you have to actually do some real coaching. Cant fake it forever. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Applause 1

@Valriera: Coach G, what's the plan?

GG, future Cash Cab contestant: In what zone?

V: Our zone?

GG: When we have the puck?

V: Yes

GG: Gotta get the puck out.

V: By what principles?

GG: Ask the players.

V: K...how about when we don't have the puck?

GG: Next question.

V: Ok how about in the O zone?

GG: Gotta get pucks towards the net.

V: And when we're doing that?

GG: If the players want goals, they'll try harder.

V: And when we don't have the puck?

GG: Get the puck back.

V: How? Hard forecheck? Staying in lanes?

GG: If the players want the puck back, they'll try harder.

V: OK, so neutral zone...

GG: I don't want to talk to the media about who can use what bathrooms...

-----

Sadly, I'm sure all but the last answer are 💯 reality.

• Like 2
  • LMFAO 2

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

this right there is where GG is losing me. Just listen to that 1 minute of time below. He flat out says he’s not going to play the kids over vets because he is trying to win the game. Well, if you are trying to WIN the game, you go with your BEST performing lines. He flat out abandoned the kid line late despite being the only line even doing anything. They played I believe 1 shift in the last 5 for about 15 seconds at the very end of the game. 
    If you want to win the game then put the best players out there that give you a chance at that win. That means a fresh kid line in OT or part of it with a D. That means getting pp2 out there for longer looks to put the game away first rather than the ol battleaxes that weren’t bringing much last night.  No one in their right mind watching last nights game thought any line but the kid line gave the Rangers the best chance last night. Such a shame because just a little trust las5 night really could have been the stepping stone the kid line could use to go to that next level. At some point you have to actually do some real coaching. Cant fake it forever. 

Yup, the top line averaged around ~18 mins of TOI last night whereas the kid line averaged ~15:30 (all situations).

Would it really have been that much of a stretch for Gallant to flip those and throw the kids on for a few more shifts over the top line, especially given that it was such a close game, and they clearly looked the only line capable of making a difference. Extremely stubborn and thick headed, ugh. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

@Valriera: Coach G, what's the plan?

GG, future Cash Cab contestant: In what zone?

V: Our zone?

GG: Gotta get the puck out.

V: By what principles?

GG: Ask the players.

V: K...how about when we don't have the puck?

GG: Next question.

V: Ok how about in the O zone?

GG: Gotta get pucks towards the net.

V: And when we're doing that?

GG: If the players want goals, they'll try harder.

V: And when we don't have the puck?

GG: Get the puck back.

V: How? Hard forecheck? Staying in lanes?

GG: If the players want the puck back, they'll try harder.

V: OK, so neutral zone...

GG: I don't want to talk to the media about who can use what bathrooms...

-----

Sadly, I'm sure all but the last answer are 💯 reality.

thats pretty fucking funny.  sad but true as well.  

go back to the tampa series last year.  we get up on them and cooper makes the adjustments needed to get them to win that series.  no counter punch out of GG.  to me thats the most disturbing.  

go back to the 90's dev/rangers games.  the line match ups and strategy were a thing of beauty.  i just dont see that out of this staff.

the kid line needs a wide berth.  if anything it will rest the vets down the stretch. play them often.  i just dont get it.  go back to the 03/04 torts cup win.  i've heard him say that they were so young as a team that they really didnt know the magnitude of what they accomplished.  let the kid line grow.  fun to watch for sure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdA9lQSG3drhPH6K3j0P2

The plan?

The plan is to win hockey games. These boys are hockey players, they'll know what to do. Because they're vets. And if they don't, I'll sit their ass for Jimmy Fucking Vesey. Not the vets, obviously, the fucking kids. Because a message needs to be sent. Sometimes you need to do that. Send messages. Whose meaning and intent is unclear. It's called coaching.

I don't know what you even mean by this "system" you speak of lol. We're a hockey team, not aerospace technicians. Let's not make it too complicated. See puck, get puck, score puck. That enough of a system for ya? These guys have played hockey all their lives, they'll figure it out. OK cya, I'm off for a beer I guess.

• LMFAO 2