• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are We Playing Hockey or Lacrosse?

NY Chief

Watching the Ducks game and they keep showing the Zegras goal where he goes around the net picks up the puck on his blade and throws it over the goalies shoulder, like a lacrosse move. Should the NHL outlaw that? Great skills but to me it’s showboating bullshit. I’ve played both sports but that carrying the puck thing is just wrong to me. Am I in the minority? Seems like X games shit. 

Edited by NY Chief

It's an insanely creative, skillful move. Not sure what kind of rule you could do that would outlaw it but either way, it doesn't make sense. The game evolves. Highly skilled players like Zegras are always going to try and find new creative ways to catch goalies/defenseman off guard and score. Don't punish players for being really good at hockey. Its on the defense to figure out how to stop it

Kind of the opposite since it's a defensive adaptation, but this is like baseball banning the shift. Fuck that, these are the elite of the elite. Do better and figure out how to make the play around it.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

10 minutes ago, NY Chief said:

Then why not allow kicking motion? Or tucking the puck under your armpit and carrying it in?

You're allowed to direct it with your foot you just can't actually kick it.  You wear razor blades on your feet when you play ice hockey.  Making kicking motions isn't exactly the safest of ideas.  The armpit comment is just stupid.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

19 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You're allowed to direct it with your foot you just can't actually kick it.  You wear razor blades on your feet when you play ice hockey.  Making kicking motions isn't exactly the safest of ideas.  The armpit comment is just stupid.

This, and a goal is scored using the stick to direct the puck into the net...Which is all Zegras is doing.

• Bullseye 2

3 minutes ago, siddious said:

I have no problem with it. It’s quite easily defendable and hard to do with in a game. I think it’s having its moment right now but defense across the league will adjust.

and when it does happen it’s fun to watch. 

Here's what will happen, some dummy will have their head down coming behind the net trying to lift the puck onto the stick, and a defenseman (probably Gudas) is going to absolutely take their head off...And no one will ever try it again.

• Bullseye 1

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Here's what will happen, some dummy will have their head down coming behind the net trying to lift the puck onto the stick, and a defenseman (probably Gudas) is going to absolutely take their head off...And no one will ever try it again.

Yepp exactly. 

42 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This isn't even new.  Its just made a resurgence lately.  This move has been around since the 90s, people just didn't do it.

Right. But to be fair, they're not standing still anymore haha. 

19 hours ago, NY Chief said:

Watching the Ducks game and they keep showing the Zegras goal where he goes around the net picks up the puck on his blade and throws it over the goalies shoulder, like a lacrosse move. Should the NHL outlaw that? Great skills but to me it’s showboating bullshit. I’ve played both sports but that carrying the puck thing is just wrong to me. Am I in the minority. Seems like X games shit. 

I get your point but I think the plain skill it takes to pull it off while keeping the stick below the shoulders is just insane. The creativity is exciting, as is waiting for the guy whose clock gets cleaned trying to do it. You wanna change a rule? Change the icing rule back to the foot race to the end boards. That was fun!!!!

The only legitimate danger I think 'the Michigan' poses is the potential to stick a goalie in the neck/face when the stick and puck come around to tuck into the corner. But the odds of that happening, and happening at high enough velocity to actually hurt someone, seem low.

Sure as shit can't say the same about skate blades, which is why kicking will never be allowed (and shouldn't).

Just now, Phil said:

The only legitimate danger I think 'the Michigan' poses is the potential to stick a goalie in the neck/face when the stick and puck come around to tuck into the corner. But the odds of that happening, and happening at high enough velocity to actually hurt someone, seem low.

Sure as shit can't say the same about skate blades, which is why kicking will never be allowed (and shouldn't).

Goalie spends half the game laying on the ice with sticks in his face, anyway. But hear you, the one coming around the net has much more risk than the standing still version because you're basically tucking the puck in the opposite side of where the goalie is looking.

21 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Agree that neither of those should be allowed.

What about hand passes though or pucks that go off your glove into the net? No inherent danger there.

49 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Agree that neither of those should be allowed.

What about hand passes though or pucks that go off your glove into the net? No inherent danger there.

You can't swat a puck in, because they don't want people swinging at each other, but it's legal if it goes off your hand.

• NY Chief changed the title to Are We Playing Hockey or Lacrosse?
4 minutes ago, NY Chief said:

Not too many purists or old timers here I see...

I am, Chief!!!  ..I go back to when a heel-curve was all the rage!    Hell, when I was a kid, the blue lines and Red Line were still in black and white!  LOL

To me it's really just something different, and you don't really see guys do it a heck of a lot.  I mean noways the NHL is so fast, that it's kinda of hard to get the space and time to execute it.

I don't really have an issue with it though. 

I don't see how it's any different than other evolutions of the game such as the slapshot, lifting the puck off the ice with a wrist shot, or butterfly-style goaltending. Nothing is breaking the current rules, it's not high sticking and not an limb, it's still using the stick. It's a one in a million thing anyway. It's been done once in the NHL. You can poke check the guy attempting it's stick, hit him, do anything else that you can normally do in play. There's zero issues here, IMO.

Edited by Cash or Czech

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I am, Chief!!!  ..I go back to when a heel-curve was all the rage!    Hell, when I was a kid, the blue lines and Red Line were still in black and white!  LOL

To me it's really just something different, and you don't really see guys do it a heck of a lot.  I mean noways the NHL is so fast, that it's kinda of hard to get the space and time to execute it.

I don't really have an issue with it though. 

No one is going the other way! 

Again, not for me. I Don't think it belongs in a game but I do agree with Pete, take the guys head off when he tries it. For an All Star skills exhibition?  ABSOUTLEY! Let's see what you got. Not in game. That's me.

Edited by NY Chief
  • Keeps it 100 1