• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bills' Damar Hamlin Suffers Cardiac Arrest on Field; Hospitalized in Critical Condition

BrooksBurner

6 minutes ago, josh said:

The way he dropped, I’m shaken. 

I hope he pulls through.

one did say they were administering oxygen when he left the field - if true, that’s a good sign, at this point 

I have never seen anything like it.

My cousin in the medical field said his doctor friends were saying it looked like commotio cordis.

Edited by rmc51

I wouldn't necessarily call that an innocuous or mild hit. I mean yeah that kinda impact happens all the time in the game, but it was still a solid blunt impact straight to the chest which can cause cardiac arrest (or even death in certain conditions), especially if he had some undetected underlying condition. 

Edited by Karan

Just now, Karan said:

I wouldn't necessarily call that an innocuous or mild hit. I mean yeah that kinda impact happens all the time in the game, but it was still a solid blunt impact straight to the chest which can cause cardiac arrest (or even death in certain conditions), especially if he had some undetected underlying condition. 

As in it wasn’t a gruesome hit.

2 minutes ago, josh said:

As in it wasn’t a gruesome hit.

Yeah for sure, regulation tackle and all but watching that replay back in slow motion, you can see his body crumple around the other player as he takes the full force of the impact right in the chest cavity. Depending on the force of the impact (and this was pretty solid), can definitely send even a healthy young athlete into instant cardiac arrest, which is what appears happened here with EMS having to administer CPR and use the AED. Either way, hope he makes it okay through this. Always feel terrible for the parents in this occasion watching the broadcast and completely helpless. 

Just now, Karan said:

Yeah for sure, regulation tackle and all but watching that replay back in slow motion, you can see his body crumple around the other player as he takes the full force of the impact right in the chest cavity. Depending on the force of the impact (and this was pretty solid), can definitely send even a healthy young athlete into instant cardiac arrest, which is what appears happened here with EMS having to administer CPR and use the AED. Either way, hope he makes it okay through this. Always feel terrible for the parents in this occasion watching the broadcast and completely helpless. 

His mother was in the stands and was brought down to be in the ambulance with him. 

man oh man, I hope he's is ok he was on the field pre-game with his Mom taking selfies according to a video I just saw on twitter. They were giving him CPR for 9 mins according to one of the audio feeds that were picked up from the field. That's a long long time for the brain to possibly go without 02. Hate, hate seeing stuff like this.

Edited by jsrangers

14 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I have never seen anything like it.

My cousin in the medical field said his doctor friends were saying it looked like commotio cordis.

Feels like such a freak injury, like it literally could happen to anyone if it's wrong place at the wrong time kind of an impact.

Edited by Karan

• Phil changed the title to Bills' Damar Hamlin Suffers Cardiac Arrest on Field; Hospitalized in Critical Condition

The Daryl Stingley hit was pretty bad.  I still remember that one....I didn't get a chance to see this one live, but I watched the replays.

The hit itself didn't look that bad, but I suppose the impact was greater than what it looked like.