• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Yakov Trenin

BrooksBurner

Keirik
This post was recognized by Keirik!

BrooksBurner was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

I'm operating under the assumption that Nashville doesn't have the horses this year and that he either might be available or Nashville can be convinced to make him available. I'm also operating under the assumption that the Rangers are settled down and in solid playoff standing.

Cap Hit: $1.7M

Contract: Through '23-'24

Background

The Good

Big, strong player. Throws his body around a lot. Gets in front of the net. Well above average shot for a bottom 6 / 4th line player. He's not known as a fighter, but he also doesn't back down when the situation presents itself.

The Maybe Not So Good

He's on the slower side. Not Reaves slow, but speed is not his game.

Some Video

Top 10 goals last season, exhibiting both a good shot and a knack to be around the net:

https://www.nhl.com/predators/video/trenin-top-10-goals-of-2021-22/t-277443722/c-12662527

He's dropped the gloves not once, but twice, with Zdeno Chara. He even got a nice right hand in during the first fight. Who cares if he got his ass obliterated in the second one? It's the willingness to stick up for yourself no matter what.

First fight: 

Second fight: 

Here he is against someone more similar in stature (Durzi, and I think Trenin kicked his ass):

I don't care that much about fighting just to fight, but I appreciate guys who will do it when needed rather than being pushovers.

Why

Secondary Help

The Rangers will need more secondary help. Reaves was great for the team morale when he was here, and allowed the Rangers to not be complete pushovers, but he was useless at hockey. Blais may or may not get there as he tries to get back into things after the bad knee injury last season. We're rotating 4Cs. The point being that we need some stability AND quality on the 4th line, and we need a higher chance of production from that line. It can make all the difference between winning and losing when the going gets tough.

The Next Goodrow?

I made a comment earlier that the Rangers need to find "the next Goodrow before that player turns into a Goodrow", either to potentially replace Goodrow after this season if the Rangers need to alleviate some cap, or to add to Goodrow in the bottom 6 to be a deeper squad. So that got me thinking about who offers a similar package to Goodrow at a good price point. Yakov isn't likely to line up at center, but he gives you a lot of other things that Goodrow does and he has a way better shot. When Tampa acquired Goodrow from San Jose, he was 26 years old and about a 7-10 goal / 20-25 point player with a $925k cap hit through the following season. Trenin is a little bit more difficult to gauge general production as he doesn't have as much time under his belt. Last year he had 17 goals and 24 points in 80 games. The year before he played 45 games and had 5 goals and 11 points (9 goal, 20 point pace). Let's call it somewhere in between those two totals - around a 10-12 goal 20-25 point guy with the potential to elevate play through the rest of his 20s much like Goodrow has.

Playoff Elevation?

He has show signs that indicate he elevates his game in the playoffs. He has played 10 playoff games for Nashville over the last two years and has contributed 5 goals. The Rangers would kill for a 4th line player to be able to pop in a few goals during a playoff run.

Fit

I believe he had some experience at center prior to the NHL, but he has been primarily a LW with the Preds. Generally bottom 6 players can flip wings, so I'd like to think he would be fine on the right side if required. He has played 3LW and 4LW for Nashville this season. I think he'd be 4LW for the Rangers for the rest of this season. He is also a contributor on the PK and can be a contributor here too.

Potential Cost

NYR or DAL 1st, Trivigno (or similar) for Trenin and a 3rd (Nashville has 2). Goodrow and a 3rd was acquired by Tampa for a 1st and a no name prospect (Anthony Greco, who ironically played his only NHL game last year with the Rangers). I would expect a similar package to get Trenin.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1
  • The Chyt! 3
  • Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 7

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

I'm operating under the assumption that Nashville doesn't have the horses this year and that he either might be available or Nashville can be convinced to make him available. I'm also operating under the assumption that the Rangers are settled down and in solid playoff standing.

Background

The Good

Big, strong player. Throws his body around a lot. Gets in front of the net. Well above average shot for a bottom 6 / 4th line player. He's not known as a fighter, but he also doesn't back down when the situation presents itself.

The Maybe Not So Good

Some Video

Top 10 goals last season, exhibiting both a good shot and a knack to be around the net:

https://www.nhl.com/predators/video/trenin-top-10-goals-of-2021-22/t-277443722/c-12662527

He's dropped the gloves not once, but twice, with Zdeno Chara. He even got a nice right hand in during the first fight. Who cares if he got his ass obliterated in the second one? It's the willingness to stick up for yourself no matter what.

First fight: 

Second fight: 

Here he is against someone more similar in stature (Durzi, and I think Trenin kicked his ass):

I don't care that much about fighting just to fight, but I appreciate guys who will do it when needed rather than being pushovers.

Why

Secondary Help

The Rangers will need more secondary help. Reaves was great for the team morale when he was here, and allowed the Rangers to not be complete pushovers, but he was useless at hockey. Blais may or may not get there as he tries to get back into things after the bad knee injury last season. We're rotating 4Cs. The point being that we need some stability AND quality on the 4th line, and we need a higher chance of production from that line. It can make all the difference between winning and losing when the going gets tough.

The Next Goodrow?

I made a comment earlier that the Rangers need to find "the next Goodrow before that player turns into a Goodrow", either to potentially replace Goodrow after this season if the Rangers need to alleviate some cap, or to add to Goodrow in the bottom 6 to be a deeper squad. So that got me thinking about who offers a similar package to Goodrow at a good price point. Yakov isn't likely to line up at center, but he gives you a lot of other things that Goodrow does and he has a way better shot. When Tampa acquired Goodrow from San Jose, he was 26 years old and about a 7-10 goal / 20-25 point player with a $925k cap hit through the following season. Trenin is a little bit more difficult to gauge general production as he doesn't have as much time under his belt. Last year he had 17 goals and 24 points in 80 games. The year before he played 45 games and had 5 goals and 11 points (9 goal, 20 point pace). Let's call it somewhere in between those two totals - around a 10-12 goal 20-25 point guy with the potential to elevate play through the rest of his 20s much like Goodrow has.

Playoff Elevation?

He has show signs that indicate he elevates his game in the playoffs. He has played 10 playoff games for Nashville over the last two years and has contributed 5 goals. The Rangers would kill for a 4th line player to be able to pop in a few goals during a playoff run.

Fit

I believe he had some experience at center prior to the NHL, but he has been primarily a LW with the Preds. Generally bottom 6 players can flip wings, so I'd like to think he would be fine on the right side if required. He has played 3LW and 4LW for Nashville this season. I think he'd be 4LW for the Rangers for the rest of this season. He is also a contributor on the PK and can be a contributor here too.

Potential Cost

NYR or DAL 1st, Trivigno (or similar) for Trenin and a 3rd (Nashville has 2). Goodrow and a 3rd was acquired by Tampa for a 1st and a no name prospect (Anthony Greco, who ironically played his only NHL game last year with the Rangers). I would expect a similar package to get Trenin.

This is an awesome post. I don't know much about the guy personally but just the work alone is worth recognition. Awesome stuff. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Background

The Good

The Maybe Not So Good

Some Video

First fight: 

Second fight: 

Why

Secondary Help

The Next Goodrow?

Playoff Elevation?

Fit

Potential Cost

Nice post.

Important to note that he's currently playing on Nashville's second line, not that he should be a second liner anywhere, but that's what's up now. 

He also put up those numbers getting close to 15 mins a night. He's not getting that on the 4th line here. I've never seen this guy play so I'm just going by numbers... His Corsi is a joke, but his ixGF is in line with Nashville's top 6... That kind of tells me he would not be super productive playing on our fourth line. 

That said, I do like the idea of the next Goody.

9 hours ago, Tonybologna said:

I'm sold, but not on giving up a 1st.

28 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Great post 

But I don't want to give first rounder for a fourth line player 

I understand the hesitation. I remember the reaction to Tampa giving up a 1st for Goodrow. It was "Really? A 1st for Goodrow? LOL", until it wasn't. This is about contract control for a cap restricted team, as it was for Goodrow.

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Nice post.

Important to note that he's currently playing on Nashville's second line, not that he should be a second liner anywhere, but that's what's up now. 

He also put up those numbers getting close to 15 mins a night. He's not getting that on the 4th line here. I've never seen this guy play so I'm just going by numbers... His Corsi is a joke, but his ixGF is in line with Nashville's top 6... That kind of tells me he would not be super productive playing on our fourth line. 

That said, I do like the idea of the next Goody.

He's not 2nd line. He's actually part of Nashville's "identity" line paired with Tanner Jeannot and Colton Sissons, which generally gets deployed as a 3rd/4th line, but he and Jeannot both have the ability to flex up. Ability to play 4th line, short handed, and flex up = Goodrow.

Article about the '20-21 season: https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2021/5/11/22430837/renegade-ramblings-nashville-predators-fourth-line-identity-sissons-trenin-olivier-jeannot

The Fourth Line

We’ve all talked about “the fourth line” a lot this season. But it’s worth noting that the fourth line played first-line minutes at even strength on Saturday night. I know a lot of minutes went to other guys on the power play, but every period Saturday started with the Stampede line on the ice to come out and set the tone for period and the game.

I’ve said the game plan for this series is to wear the edges off of the Carolina Hurricanes, and there’s no one else that wears down the edges off of opposing teams like the guys on the fourth line. This Nashville Predators team has seen fourth-line players that come advertised with a “grit” label before, but why is this line seeing so much success where players like Cody McLeod have been relegated to making people smile in the locker room?

AD

It’s a simple answer: every guy that plays on the line is playing a role.

For example, in a Russian language interview with Yakov Trenin, Trenin discussed how he was playing the style of hockey the team wanted him to play in Nashville. Trenin is a skilled player, but he’s also large and tough as nails and he’s leaning into that aspect of his game.

And this from mid-last season: https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2021/11/03/nashville-predators-colton-sissons-yakov-trenin-tanner-jeannot-herd-line/6243228001/

Jeannot, Trenin and Olivier, an original member of the  "Herd" who has been on injured reserve all season, bring some muscle and edge that has lacked in Nashville in recent years. Sissons directs traffic.

Together they frustrate opponents with their relentless physical play and more-than-capable offensive abilities.
They also allow opponents very little margin for pushing their team around.

Exhibit A of that occurred in January 2020 against Boston, when Trenin buckled the knees of Zdeno Chara, a man 18 years his senior who is eight inches taller outweighs him by more than 50 pounds.

This year, the line has been less effective, but I think a good part of that is Nashville in general has taken a step backwards. They are experiencing lots of regression from the top on down, which might be why Trenin would even be attainable in a couple of months. He's gotten a slow start, pacing 7 goals / 22 points, but that is actually still in line with what "San Jose Goodrow" was doing pre-trade.

For minutes, he's averaging over 2 on the PK, but yeah even ~13 min a night at ES is higher than 4th liner usage. More like 3rd line. I don't see that as a bad thing if the Rangers acquired him, though it would place a little more importance on him switching to the right side next year due to the Rangers' obvious stockpile of top 9 LWs.

Re: Corsi, he's a career 48.6 CF% and the last two years he has been a 45% and 44% with two-thirds of his zone starts in the DZ. I don't find that too alarming, but yeah it could be a bit better. For reference, Goodrow is a career 44.8% and the last 2 years with the Rangers he has been 40% and 42% (also close to two-thirds DZ zone starts). You also have to remember these guys are usually being asked to match up against other teams' top 2 lines.

Edited by rmc51
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Maybe he can slot up in the lineup better than Goodrow can and not be an offensive black hole? Based on what Pete looked into, it's a definite possibility.

Fantastic post by the way, really in depth and well thought out.

Yeah he can flex up for sure. To be honest, I envision a Trenin - Goodrow - Gauthier 4th line down the stretch that can be used even more in tough games. You got size, strength, speed (Gauthier), shot (Trenin), balls (Goodrow), etc. Maybe even a makeshift Trenin - Trocheck - Goodrow combination in crunch time with a lead.

My current vision for forward lines post-deadline:

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko

Panarin - Chytil - Kane (trade)

Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey/Kravtsov

Trenin - Goodrow - Gauthier

Blais

I'm kind of assuming Kravtsov will be traded though. I don't know who this year's Vatrano will be, but if Drury could steal a guy like that for a 4th rounder again we can punt Vesey out too.

Edited by rmc51

This is a fantastic thread. Really well done @rmc51.

Love the idea, too. I brisked at the idea of a first, but it's funny — I also immediately went to the same place you did re: the original SJS-TBL Goodrow trade. I think I'd be much more inclined to give up the first if it were Tanner Jeannot, but I'm not completely out on the idea of Trenin.

I think the bigger question is, why is Nashville doing this?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is a fantastic thread. Really well done @rmc51.

Love the idea, too. I brisked at the idea of a first, but it's funny — I also immediately went to the same place you did re: the original SJS-TBL Goodrow trade. I think I'd be much more inclined to give up the first if it were Tanner Jeannot, but I'm not completely out on the idea of Trenin.

I think the bigger question is, why is Nashville doing this?

Jeannot is a good player and would like him too if not Trenin, but he is an RFA after this season. He was phenomenal last year, but has regressed quite a lot this year. I guess it depends on what his cap hit would be, but it's probably more than Trenin's. Trenin's cap hit is a known quantity.

I think the reason Nashville does it, is if they fall out of playoff contention and have the ability to pocket a 1st, then why not? Rather than making the pick, they could potentially turn around and use it to make a more significant change to the top end of their roster if they want to reload rather than start looking to rebuild. Or they could use it to trade up for a more impactful player closer to the top of the draft. They are at the point right now where that roster isn't going to get any better by remaining static. Too many top guys in their 30s, and frankly Duchene/Johansen just isn't good enough to be spending the kind of money they are spending on them. Duchene's year last year was an outlier. So if they don't make the playoffs, what's the angle for remaining the same?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Jeannot is a good player and would like him too if not Trenin, but he is an RFA after this season. He was phenomenal last year, but has regressed quite a lot this year. I guess it depends on what his cap hit would be, but it's probably more than Trenin's. Trenin's cap hit is a known quantity.

I think the reason Nashville does it, is if they fall out of playoff contention and have the ability to pocket a 1st, then why not? Rather than making the pick, they could potentially turn around and use it to make a more significant change to the top end of their roster if they want to reload rather than start looking to rebuild. Or they could use it to trade up for a more impactful player closer to the top of the draft. They are at the point right now where that roster isn't going to get any better by remaining static. Too many top guys in their 30s, and frankly Duchene/Johansen just isn't good enough to be spending the kind of money they are spending on them. Duchene's year last year was an outlier. So if they don't make the playoffs, what's the angle for remaining the same?

That's fair. And I agree on Jeannot. Just three goals and six points in 27 games this year. But I'd venture a guess that he's closer to this than he is that 24-goal scorer. I feel like that was an aberration. He's never really been a big scorer minus another aberration year in his final WHL year.

I think he's a player who, in the right circumstances, can get white hot, in which case, you ride it, but it's foolish to expect 20+ goals every year.

Given he plays both LW/RW, I see him as a really interesting option to slot up and down the lineup as needed. Similar to Goodrow, but with better scoring potential. Basically, what Blais was for the Blues in their Cup run, but better than Blais.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

That's fair. And I agree on Jeannot. Just three goals and six points in 27 games this year. But I'd venture a guess that he's closer to this than he is that 24-goal scorer. I feel like that was an aberration. He's never really been a big scorer minus another aberration year in his final WHL year.

I think he's a player who, in the right circumstances, can get white hot, in which case, you ride it, but it's foolish to expect 20+ goals every year.

Given he plays both LW/RW, I see him as a really interesting option to slot up and down the lineup as needed. Similar to Goodrow, but with better scoring potential. Basically, what Blais was for the Blues in their Cup run, but better than Blais.

Yup, he’s also definitely an option style-wise for what I think the Rangers need. What do you think an estimated contract looks for him?

32 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

So rangers trade the first to Nashville ,and Nashville turns and trades the pick for an upgrade up front end of their roster ,but isn't that what we need ,we not setting the NHL on fire in scoring

I know we need size ,but this guy is slow ,and the Devils are skating rings around our players 

This team will look even slower

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

He's not 2nd line. He's actually part of Nashville's "identity" line paired with Tanner Jeannot and Colton Sissons, which generally gets deployed as a 3rd/4th line, but he and Jeannot both have the ability to flex up. Ability to play 4th line, short handed, and flex up = Goodrow.

Article about the '20-21 season: https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2021/5/11/22430837/renegade-ramblings-nashville-predators-fourth-line-identity-sissons-trenin-olivier-jeannot

And this from mid-last season: https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2021/11/03/nashville-predators-colton-sissons-yakov-trenin-tanner-jeannot-herd-line/6243228001/

This year, the line has been less effective, but I think a good part of that is Nashville in general has taken a step backwards. They are experiencing lots of regression from the top on down, which might be why Trenin would even be attainable in a couple of months. He's gotten a slow start, pacing 7 goals / 22 points, but that is actually still in line with what "San Jose Goodrow" was doing pre-trade.

For minutes, he's averaging over 2 on the PK, but yeah even ~13 min a night at ES is higher than 4th liner usage. More like 3rd line. I don't see that as a bad thing if the Rangers acquired him, though it would place a little more importance on him switching to the right side next year due to the Rangers' obvious stockpile of top 9 LWs.

Re: Corsi, he's a career 48.6 CF% and the last two years he has been a 45% and 44% with two-thirds of his zone starts in the DZ. I don't find that too alarming, but yeah it could be a bit better. For reference, Goodrow is a career 44.8% and the last 2 years with the Rangers he has been 40% and 42% (also close to two-thirds DZ zone starts). You also have to remember these guys are usually being asked to match up against other teams' top 2 lines.

He's currently on their second line according to daily Face-Off which has real time updates.

I'm just not convinced he's an upgrade over Goody and if he's successful then he'll cost just as much. 

7 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

So rangers trade the first to Nashville ,and Nashville turns and trades the pick for an upgrade up front end of their roster ,but isn't that what we need ,we not setting the NHL on fire in scoring

I know we need size ,but this guy is slow ,and the Devils are skating rings around our players 

This team will look even slower

I don't think the front end of the roster is what the Rangers need per se. They've got 2 guys pacing 90+ points in Panarin and Zibanejad. They've got Kreider pacing nearly 40 goals, 65 points. Trocheck pacing nearly 30 goals, 55 points. Chytil pacing 20 goals and 50 points. This kind of production should be enough from a front end of the roster perspective. With that said, I do see them trading for a rental Kane anyway to bolster the top 6 further and fill that semi-void on the right side. I just think the Rangers main problem is a general lack of secondary help when the top guys are in a rut. Our 4th line in particular has been garbage for a long time.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's currently on their second line according to daily Face-Off which has real time updates.

I'm just not convinced he's an upgrade over Goody and if he's successful then he'll cost just as much. 

I'm not sure why daily faceoff is reporting that. Generally, it's fairly accurate. This was last night:

Maybe by the end of night, they had flipped Trenin and Sissons? 🤷‍♂️

If you look up Trenin's name in the teammate tool here, you'll see the TOI has been almost exclusively with Jeannot and Sissons: https://evolving-hockey.com/stats/combos/?_inputs_&std_tmt_adj="Score %26 Venue"&std_tmt_players="Yakov Trenin"&std_tmt_str="5v5"&std_tmt_select=["Position"%2C"TOI"%2C"Corsi"]&std_tmt_range="Seasons"&std_tmt_toi="10"&std_tmt_type="Rates"&dir_combo="Teammate Tool"&std_tmt_span="Regular"&std_tmt_pos_p="F"&std_tmt_pos_t="F"&std_tmt_season="20222023"&std_tmt_team="All"

Edited by rmc51

43 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I'm not sure why daily faceoff is reporting that. Generally, it's fairly accurate. This was last night:

Maybe by the end of night, they had flipped Trenin and Sissons? 🤷‍♂️

If you look up Trenin's name in the teammate tool here, you'll see the TOI has been almost exclusively with Jeannot and Sissons: https://evolving-hockey.com/stats/combos/?_inputs_&std_tmt_adj="Score %26 Venue"&std_tmt_players="Yakov Trenin"&std_tmt_str="5v5"&std_tmt_select=["Position"%2C"TOI"%2C"Corsi"]&std_tmt_range="Seasons"&std_tmt_toi="10"&std_tmt_type="Rates"&dir_combo="Teammate Tool"&std_tmt_span="Regular"&std_tmt_pos_p="F"&std_tmt_pos_t="F"&std_tmt_season="20222023"&std_tmt_team="All"

Oh, I believe you about where he's been playing in the past.

I'm just saying it's something to keep an eye on should a deal arise at the deadline. 

Also should keep an eye on his time on ice. Can't expect him to do what he did last year playing 15 minutes, on this team playing less than 10.