• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Four Teams That Need to Start Finding Answers Now

Cash or Czech

https://theathletic.com/3971984/2022/12/05/nhl-canucks-rangers-capitals-senators/?source=emp_shared_article

I would imagine the Blueshirts’ inconsistent ways are beginning to test the patience of general manager Chris Drury — and in more ways than one.

The Rangers have to do their part if Kane is going to head to New York, and that’s to resemble the Stanley Cup contender they were projected to be before the season. Drury cleared up some cap space in the Ryan Reaves trade already. So the Rangers are well-positioned to pounce ahead of March 3. But they have to start winning games more consistently. I can’t imagine Kane waving his no-move clause to join a bubble team.

I could be wrong, but I see the course correction coming organically here. I don’t think Drury has to do anything drastic at this time. This team will turn around. I know that’s a boring take, but this is an example of a team where patience will ultimately be the best course of action. Of course, I could be wrong. But there are times when GMs feel the pressure to do something drastic and end up doing something they absolutely regret.

I think it's an interesting take, and I was doing some digging a few days ago before I erased my post and decided not to click send.

Here's where we're struggling statistics-wise:

• We're 17th in converting High Danger Scoring Chances at 10%
  • We're 26th in shooting % at 7.0%.
  • We're 23rd in PDO at 99.2

The positives:

• We're 4th in total scoring chances for % at 54.4%
  • We're 7th in High Danger Scoring Chance Differential, at 54.8%
  • We've given up the 5th fewest High Danger Scoring Chances against
  • Opponents have the 4th lowest HDSC conversion percentage against us at 7.3%

Statistically, it seems that we're well below the offensive production expected of us. The eye test says our defense stinks. The stats say our offense isn't finishing all of the chances they're creating. At some point, the flood gates are going to open and the statistics will even out. Or we'll just have a snake-bitten season and flush it down the drain.

• Phil changed the title to Four Teams That Need to Start Finding Answers Now
15 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I think it's an interesting take, and I was doing some digging a few days ago before I erased my post and decided not to click send.

Here's where we're struggling statistics-wise:

• We're 17th in converting High Danger Scoring Chances at 10%
  • We're 26th in shooting % at 7.0%.
  • We're 23rd in PDO at 99.2

The positives:

• We're 4th in total scoring chances for % at 54.4%
  • We're 7th in High Danger Scoring Chance Differential, at 54.8%
  • We've given up the 5th fewest High Danger Scoring Chances against
  • Opponents have the 4th lowest HDSC conversion percentage against us at 7.3%

Statistically, it seems that we're well below the offensive production expected of us. The eye test says our defense stinks. The stats say our offense isn't finishing all of the chances they're creating. At some point, the flood gates are going to open and the statistics will even out. Or we'll just have a snake-bitten season and flush it down the drain.

I think the statistics you mention match the eye test of what I'm seeing.  And I don't think the Rangers should make any drastic moves, since the team was in the ECF last year.

Lundqvist only won one Vezina.  Lundqvist also put in 10 straight years that put him in the top 6 for Vezina voting.  IMO, Shesterkin won't be a one-hit wonder, but isn't a lock to put in 10 straight years as one of the best goalies in the NHL.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-vezina-trophy-winners-complete-list/c-287773436

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Shesterkin was much better last year than this year so far.  Kreider probably had a career outlier year last year.

https://www.nhl.com/player/igor-shesterkin-8478048

https://www.nhl.com/player/chris-kreider-8475184

It looks like Kreider is on track for a typical Kreider year, and I'd expect (or hope!) that Shesterkin starts playing better soon.

The easiest change, if you think there is a need for a different system, culture, or just shake things up, is to fire Gallant. Given what I'm seeing, I'm speculating that changing the coach would give at least a 5-10 games where the Rangers were playing harder for a new coach.  But after that, the Rangers would be relying on a new system and culture.  I hate firing coaches but when teams are underperforming, that's the simplest answer.  If a team has terrible roster construction, and poor results for a series of years, the simplest answer is to fire the GM.  The other option is trades (not involving core players).  Reeves was already sent to Wild.  If you don't like the on-ice results, tweak the roster.  But I'm not ready to trade Panarin or make desperate moves. 

GG gets fired when the Caps overtake the Rangers and they're 6+ points out of a playoff spot.  Could be in a couple of weeks or could be never.

If the Rangers stay right on the bubble all season and miss out I think GG gets another year.  I think the Rangers will make fairly big changes in that off-season.

Just took a look at the Metro division. Last 10 games for all teams.....only 2 out of 8 teams have won more than 5 games (Rangers 4-4-2) in that stretch. Rangers have issues for sure, but so many teams seem to be struggling in terms of consistency. Hopefully the Rangers can get it together soon because they still have time to right the ship.

3 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Just took a look at the Metro division. Last 10 games for all teams.....only 2 out of 8 teams have won more than 5 games (Rangers 4-4-2) in that stretch. Rangers have issues for sure, but so many teams seem to be struggling in terms of consistency. Hopefully the Rangers can get it together soon because they still have time to right the ship.

They haven’t been good. But yes. There is ample time to right the ship. I think they have a run in them too.

But they can’t keep losing games and points vs teams they should beat. 

• Applause 1