• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Reset: the 2022-23 Edition

The Dude

40 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m still confused how this guy was considered a 1OA pretty universally. He’s just not good at anything in particular. 

Exactly. When I talked to my guy, he thought he got the better player @ pick 13. That may end up not being true, but I think when you talk to the bird dogs, there are way differing opinions.

I usually do 3rd party evaluations for some rep teams every year. When we compare notes we're all over the map. I have to think it's similar at the scouting level. 

I think the issue is in the top of the FO's. They're not gonna take a risk, particularly when the alternative also has red flags and could be a marginal improvement.

In the case of Lafreniere I just see a guy that had the body of a 20 year old at age 15. Plenty of major junior 20 year olds put up massive numbers and never get past the SPHL.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

@Dunny called this and we talked about it... He called Laffy Owen Nolan and I said "if you're right, that would be disappointing."

I'm dumbing this down of course, but Owen Nolan was like a 60 point player when his contemporaries, meaning high draft picks in the years surrounding his draft, were scoring up to 100. He had some hot years, and some cold ones. 

That's pretty much what we're looking at here. 

I almost think that's optimistic, at this point.

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Mea culpa: I've watched about 4 periods of Ranger hockey this year. 

He looks the same as last year, with no puck luck (aka the gifted ENGs he was getting last year).

Edited by Pete

25 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Exactly. When I talked to my guy, he thought he got the better player @ pick 13. That may end up not being true, but I think when you talk to the bird dogs, there are way differing opinions.

I usually do 3rd party evaluations for some rep teams every year. When we compare notes we're all over the map. I have to think it's similar at the scouting level. 

I think the issue is in the top of the FO's. They're not gonna take a risk, particularly when the alternative also has red flags and could be a marginal improvement.

In the case of Lafreniere I just see a guy that had the body of a 20 year old at age 15. Plenty of major junior 20 year olds put up massive numbers and never get past the SPHL.

I was thinking he was just stronger and more able bodied at a younger age. It has to be that. 

fuck even kakko has good possession skills. I can’t think of one thing about Laf that stands out as even above average for an nhl’r. 

16 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's year 3 of a 1st overall pick. He's supposed to be close if not equal to the top players on the team. He's not even the best player on the 3rd line. This isn't a 25th pick in a draft. This guy was supposed to be close to a generational talent. He's a big disappointment .

If he dominated on his own, maybe he'd get more PP time. Again,  he's getting favorable match ups. He's playing against 3rd and 4th liners. He's playing in spots where teams top D men and forwards are being worn down by the PP1 that is out there for 2 minutes.  There's no excuse for his lack of exceptional play. He's not next level.  He's ordinary.

Right now he's pretty expendable depending on the return (He's not alone, but this is a thread dedicated to HIS ordinary play).  I think he still has value. I even think he might turn it around.  Just not here in this situation.  So, IMO they need to trade him before they diminish his value more, or he decides that he wants out of this situation that isn't suited for him at this moment. 

Explain the bold? Are you referring to him getting 20 seconds of PP time against tired dmen and forwards or just in general ?

Both him and Kakko have Been handled pretty shitty imo, they never seemed to be a priority cause we were always so concerned about winning right now, Gallant has  groomed them to be third liners and now they are an on top they are afraid to make a mistake which makes sense cause they’ll be the ones disciplined. 

You might be right,with Gallant he may bit turn it around here . I would bet the house he’d flourish elsewhere 

12 hours ago, -ERIK- said:

Explain the bold? Are you referring to him getting 20 seconds of PP time against tired dmen and forwards or just in general ?

Both really. Play doesn't stop when a PP is over. So , no matter what,  he's typically out there while the oppositions better defenders are resting  or are worn out. I was talking more about at even strength,  but now that you mention it the final :30 seconds and sgter he's put in a situation where he is at an advantage for someone that is supposed to be this amazing talent.

How both Kakko and Lafrenière got to where they are now, is a separate discussion. The next step for the franchise is what I'm trying to push. His future, whether it's good or bad,  isn't going to be decided here. Right now, his future here looks bleak. 

On 12/3/2022 at 8:59 AM, siddious said:

I’m still confused how this guy was considered a 1OA pretty universally. He’s just not good at anything in particular. 

I guess the covid year screwed more things up than we processed.  He had a lot of hype right off the bat from what I remember. Right after or even during the Hughes/Kakko draft,  there was talk about this guy being the big get. Then covid happened and I'm assuming scouting fell to the way side. Has to be that. I've been underwhelmed since day one. Zero flash, grit, gamebreaking ability to show (consistently) in 3 years. 2 coaches. Same results. Sell.

Sale 50 Off GIF by dholley

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, Pete said:

@Dunny called this and we talked about it... He called Laffy Owen Nolan and I said "if you're right, that would be disappointing."

I'm dumbing this down of course, but Owen Nolan was like a 60 point player when his contemporaries, meaning high draft picks in the years surrounding his draft, were scoring up to 100. He had some hot years, and some cold ones. 

That's pretty much what we're looking at here. 

Meh. Nolan atleast played a power forward style of game and repeatedly put up 30- 40 goal seasons on some bad teams. 5 time allstar. 

Are you thinking Falloon?

• 1 month later...