• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is it Too Soon to Suggest Moving Goodrow?

The Dude

The Rangers are in really bad cap health. Is he really a difference maker? He wasn't a big factor in the playoffs, like he was expected to be. He's not bringing energy or attitude. 

Admittedly I've never been sold on him. He's a nice 4th liner, but the price tag is well above what the team can afford right now or moving forward. He's really gotta step it up IMO. His spot on the team affects a lot as far as where to go with the bottom 6.

If this "blah" output and effectiveness continues, can the Rangers get anything of value for him? Or are we hanging our hat on how important his playoff experience is,  like how we did with Blais? 

Or is it just too early?

Yes.

he’s not here to be an every day player. He’s here to be ready for the big moments. And quite essential with an incredibly soft top 6 in the playoffs.

clown shoes is terrible Oman regular shift, but pulls out magic on the pk, during the last few minutes, and during the playoffs 

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, josh said:

Yes.

he’s not here to be an every day player. He’s here to be ready for the big moments. And quite essential with an incredibly soft top 6 in the playoffs.

clown shoes is terrible Oman regular shift, but pulls out magic on the pk, during the last few minutes, and during the playoffs 

But he doesn't play in the top 6 and when he does, he drags it down. 

Still not sold on him. Money wasted. Had they not signed him and Nemeth, they could have kept a more effective top 6 RW going into his prime. Would have solved a few problems including that soft top 6. 

2 hours ago, josh said:

He alone is not the issue Kreider, Zibanejad, FOX, Trouba, etc are overpaid 

Well, yeah, but atleast those guys are top players at their position. You pay those guys. Outbidding a few teams for the services of a cup teams 4th liner for ridiculous term isn't necessary. 

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Considering our bottom six is considerably better when he’s playing and we have no other legitimate option, yes. 

He's best as a 4th liner. He doesn't click with ANY offensive minded players. Chytil is the defacto 3C. They don't click. He doesn't click with Panarin, he doesn't click with Zibanejad and Kreider. 

Our bottom 6 is not very good WITH him either. He's at his best with like minded players. He's more feisty and generates chances if he's got another player out there with him doing similar things. When put in the top 6. Invisible. 

I don't like paying 4th liners 3.6 million. 

If I'm the Rangers, I weight the circumstances and think hard about if his minor contributions are worth fouling up their lack of options for the top 6 RW spots. It's not looking good for Kravtsov as an option. Blais doesn't seem like an option anymore. Lafrenière is out of position and the line hasn't produced much besides their first game together which was  how many games ago? Kakko... mehh. 

Gotta wonder if Chicago would take the contract in a Kane trade. Gives them a "leader" and opens up cap room for the Rangers.  

I mean don’t get me wrong I’m not against it but I view him as a bottom six insurance policy. He’s not lighting anything up but when he’s out there you know what you’ll get and it’s going to be fine. If we get some better players in the bottom six we don’t need that but the team is v too heavy idk how we don’t have it.

at this point the player I see out of the bottom six is carpenter and krav

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Considering he not only exceeded his highest point total but also basically doubled his highest goal total in his first year after signing the contract id say yes, it’s way too early.  

That's pretty much it. 3.6 X 6 for a 20 point player who never scored more than 8 goals (13 isn't double.. but I get ya..... we typically need to be exact with such comments). 

I don't feel like he impacts the roster the way @Philand some others do.  What he actually does isn't worth the effect his cap hit and roster presence has on the lineup/roster. Ultra glorified Motte. 

58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That's pretty much it. 3.6 X 6 for a 20 point player who never scored more than 8 goals (13 isn't double.. but I get ya..... we typically need to be exact with such comments). 

I don't feel like he impacts the roster the way @Philand some others do.  What he actually does isn't worth the effect his cap hit and roster presence has on the lineup/roster. Ultra glorified Motte. 

Well, hes not a 20 ppint player here. Hes a 33 point player. He also was 6th on the team last year for evrn strength goals. Thats nothing to scoff at. Cant take away what hes already accomplished in a Rangers sweater. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

17 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well, hes not a 20 ppint player here. Hes a 33 point player. He also was 6th on the team last year for evrn strength goals. Thats nothing to scoff at. Cant take away what hes already accomplished in a Rangers sweater. 🙂

6th on the team in even strength goals, on a team that doesn't score even strength goals is absolutely something to scoff at. It shows how bad they are at even strength and how little he actually scores.   

But yeah I guess 33 points while playing all over the lineup is good. 

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

6th on the team in even strength goals, on a team that doesn't score even strength goals is absolutely something to scoff at. It shows how bad they are at even strength and how little he actually scores.   

But yeah I guess 33 points while playing all over the lineup is good. 

I dont see how in the world it shows anything negative about HIM when he was never specifically brought in for goals, yet managed to make a decent impact in 5 v 5 situations. If anything, it shows exactly why he is valuable. If the top 6 does the majority of their damage on the PP, then other guys that contribute a decent amount in other situations whole also providing intanglbes.

If you dont like the guy thats one thing, but lets at least be a bit realistic here. He had a fine season last year. What exactly were you expecting more than leadership, 13 goals, 33 points, and can slide up and down?  Hes maybe 1m overpaid but thats the nature of a UFA signing. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

He probably isn't "worth" it. Not in a straight cost assessment. But you need to remember that a big reason they traded for his rights and signed him long-term is because he's a post-season warrior with two Cups. That's experience teams pay through the nose for every year (the whole "rings in the room" thing).

He's basically our Joel Ward. They're paying more than he's "worth" in the regular season because his game becomes integral in the post season.

43 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I dont see how in the world it shows anything negative about HIM when he was never specifically brought in for goals, yet managed to make a decent impact in 5 v 5 situations. If anything, it shows exactly why he is valuable. If the top 6 does the majority of their damage on the PP, then other guys that contribute a decent amount in other situations whole also providing intanglbes.

If you dont like the guy thats one thing, but lets at least be a bit realistic here. He had a fine season last year. What exactly were you expecting more than leadership, 13 goals, 33 points, and can slide up and down?  Hes maybe 1m overpaid but thats the nature of a UFA signing. 

I mean, I'd argue he's not even close to $1M over the mark if he's actually a 33-point player. I still think the $1M per ten points rule is a pretty good rule of thumb. In actuality, he's probably like $200–500K overpaid.

• Bullseye 2

We'll see how it looks at the end of the year.  If keeping Goodrow means not being able to keep LaF, Miller, Kakko, Lindgren or even Gauthier, there may have to be a salary dump.

The problem with trading him is that the kind team that has the cap space for a guy in his role at 3.6 per is probably: (a) a developing or rebuilding team that really isn't looking for finishing pieces of the puzzle like Goodrow; and (b) on his 15 team no trade list.

5 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

We'll see how it looks at the end of the year.  If keeping Goodrow means not being able to keep LaF, Miller, Kakko, Lindgren or even Gauthier, there may have to be a salary dump.

The problem with trading him is that the kind team that has the cap space for a guy in his role at 3.6 per is probably: (a) a developing or rebuilding team that really isn't looking for finishing pieces of the puzzle like Goodrow; and (b) on his 15 team no trade list.

Yeah, one of these things is not like the others.

• LOL 2