• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Canucks Lose Seven Straight; Boudreau Watch?

Phil

So the thing is, the team is actually good enough to score and acquire those leads (their CF% is in the top half of the league). They just can't fucking defense or hold onto a lead if their lives depended on it. I don't think it's a skill/talent issue though and Demko is obviously no slouch. Once they figure it out, I think they've still got the pieces to put together a solid season. So I doubt Boudreau gets canned this season, unless this tailspin somehow continues for another month. 

To clarify, I don't think the team is actually going this slide for another month, that would frankly take a miracle to accomplish with all the talent they have. I suspect they're going to string out a few desperate wins here and get the spotlight off Boudreau. However, if the defensive lapses and inability to maintain leads continues on a consistent basis well into November, then unfortunately he's certainly going to be on the block, because at that stage the GM's only option is to get a fresh voice and system. 

On paper this team should be a lot better. And they've had a chance to win every game with the exception of the Buffalo game.

something's gotta give. they're 0-4-2 and could realistically be 5-1. Coach has to be taking the heat on this one though. Its beyond X's and O's. You gotta push your team to finish out their games.

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

On paper this team should be a lot better. And they've had a chance to win every game with the exception of the Buffalo game.

something's gotta give. they're 0-4-2 and could realistically be 5-1. Coach has to be taking the heat on this one though. Its beyond X's and O's. You gotta push your team to finish out their games.

No, this team shouldn't be better on paper. They're poorly constructed. Just look at that right side:

image.png

And having a mostly horrendous defense means you have to ride your studs super hard - which is exactly what Boudreau did with Quinn Hughes, playing him 27 minutes per night (a full 2 minutes more per night than last year). And, shocker, Hughes is hurt now. They're boned and there's no hope.

58 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

No, this team shouldn't be better on paper. They're poorly constructed. Just look at that right side:

image.png

And having a mostly horrendous defense means you have to ride your studs super hard - which is exactly what Boudreau did with Quinn Hughes, playing him 27 minutes per night (a full 2 minutes more per night than last year). And, shocker, Hughes is hurt now. They're boned and there's no hope.

I mean, they had a high end power play last year and their forward depth is good and Demko was VERY good last year. they had plenty of reasons to expect to be pushing for a playoff spot this year

54 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I mean, they had a high end power play last year and their forward depth is good and Demko was VERY good last year. they had plenty of reasons to expect to be pushing for a playoff spot this year

Demko will have to be very good again this year because, again, their defense roster construction is woeful at best. Now the Canucks are tweeting Hughes is week-to-week. So that should be that for this season.

Bedard grew up a Canucks fan, so that's appropriate! 

VAN drops another one after imploding in the 3rd period 😅 Watched the game and man this team has no defensive system. Blown coverages and missed assignments all over the place. Forwards doing fly-bys on their backchecks. No one knows where to be when the puck is in their zone. They should absolutely not be where they are in the stands with the roster they have on paper. There's teams with far less talent and far shittier goaltending that are doing much better. If this continues, I don't see Boudreau making it past Halloween. 

• Phil changed the title to Canucks Lose Seven Straight; Boudreau Watch?