• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vitali Kravtsov Day-to-Day; Won't Make Trip to Minnesota + Winnipeg

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Vitali Kravtsov Day-to-Day; Won't Make Trip to Minnesota + Winnipeg

This kid is really having a tough go of it.  A lot of it was self-inflicted with his bullshit from last season.  But this isn't helping either the Rangers or him.  We need him back in the lineup so he can either belong, or build value for a deal.

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

In combination with Blais back, big ouch for Kravtsov. One small injury for mankind, one giant blockade for his lineup chances when he’s healthy again.

Given what Kravtsov came back from last season, I don't think he's going to be too worried by someone who used to be a fourth line weak offensive player prior to joining the Rangers lol 

Edited by Karan

8 minutes ago, Karan said:

Given what Kravtsov came back from last season, I don't think he's going to be too worried by someone who used to be a fourth line weak offensive player prior to joining the Rangers lol 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t think the Rangers view Blais as a 4th line player. It only takes a couple of games to make a good impression and buy a few more games. So missing 2 games at this stage could turn into losing your spot for 4-5 games, or more, in a hurry.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t think the Rangers view Blais as a 4th line player. It only takes a couple of games to make a good impression and buy a few more games. So missing 2 games at this stage could turn into losing your spot for 4-5 games, or more, in a hurry.

I don't think this is the case here. Blais is extremely offensively limited and arguably the most fragile player on the roster. He hasn't played a full NHL season in ... ever, so there's no guarantee he stays healthy (for long).

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

In combination with Blais back, big ouch for Kravtsov. One small injury for mankind, one giant blockade for his lineup chances when he’s healthy again.

The way Blais plays the game, there will always be an opportunity for Kravtsov to come back.  If Blais plays 50 games in any given season, I'll be surprised.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't think this is the case here. Blais is extremely offensively limited and arguably the most fragile player on the roster. He hasn't played a full NHL season in ... ever, so there's no guarantee he stays healthy (for long).

I should've read ahead.  I have the same feeling about Blais.  He runs around like a heat-seeking missal.  Not only does that lead to injuries in and of itself but it also paints a big target for in-game retaliations.  

Just now, Kevin said:

I should've read ahead.  I have the same feeling about Blais.  He runs around like a heat-seeking missal.  Not only does that lead to injuries in and of itself but it also paints a big target for in-game retaliations.  

Yup. He plays like Callahan used to, but with none of the goal-scoring/production. Callahan officially retired at like 35, but his career ended years before that. He spent like an entire year on IR with the Sens and he really struggled to stay healthy the last number of seasons he was active.

God, Kravtsov is so timid and weak.  All I could think of last night watching the game was it's time to bring Brennan Othmann up to the NHL.   Othmann showed he had balls in the preseason and he would bring youthful exuberance to the lineup and wouldn't be afraid to get dirty.   He looks more NHL ready than Kravtsov does and another year in the OHL does him no good at this point. 

4 hours ago, Karan said:

As if the #2 RW situation wasn't bad enough, fuck. Although my expectations of him were low anyway, hopefully this will be a blessing in disguise and someone else will be able to step up. 

I know that Lafreniere prefers LW, but this provides him an opening for him on RW instead of being on the third line.  

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

I know he played very little before getting hurt.   But he looked pretty fucking good. 

@deejaid

Not sure how you can call the kid weak. One of the biggest players in the game pushing down on your head and neck with all his weight will hurt most anyone. Pretty cheap play actually.  

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

The way Blais plays the game, there will always be an opportunity for Kravtsov to come back.  If Blais plays 50 games in any given season, I'll be surprised.

Pretty sure his career season high is 8 games

48 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I know he played very little before getting hurt.   But he looked pretty fucking good. 

@deejaid

Not sure how you can call the kid weak. One of the biggest players in the game pushing down on your head and neck with all his weight will hurt most anyone. Pretty cheap play actually.  

I'm not calling him weak because of that play he was injured on, but just his play in general.  He doesn't look strong on his skates.   Brad Marchand is 5'9" and strong on the puck, so was Theo Fleury who was even smaller.   Kravtsov is 6'3" but doesn't play like it.    An 82 game NHL season is a grind and I applaud Kravtsov for coming over in July to start training but he was injured after just three shifts on opening night.  And that play looks like a hockey play to me, don't see what is so dirty about it.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I’m not worried we have big dick Vesey 

but no seriously I’m just starting to feel bad for Kravtsov at this point.. guy got hurt last season too 

don’t make me find my rant of Hedman cucking Vesey, the rangers blowing a lead, went on a losing streak and out of the playoff picture

2 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I'm not calling him weak because of that play he was injured on, but just his play in general.  He doesn't look strong on his skates.   Brad Marchand is 5'9" and strong on the puck, so was Theo Fleury who was even smaller.   Kravtsov is 6'3" but doesn't play like it.    An 82 game NHL season is a grind and I applaud Kravtsov for coming over in July to start training but he was injured after just three shifts on opening night.  And that play looks like a hockey play to me, don't see what is so dirty about it.

That’s like saying you want Panarin to play like Trouba.

absolutely not.

everyone should want Kravtsov to play like Kravtsov- adjusted for the nhl game.  He uses his size (length), his stick length, size in wall battles - but he needs to adjust his game for the NHL to prove what he did in the khl helps the rangers. And it most certainly can more than him trying to play like Ryan Hollweg. 

3 minutes ago, josh said:

That’s like saying you want Panarin to play like Trouba.

absolutely not.

everyone should want Kravtsov to play like Kravtsov- adjusted for the nhl game.  He uses his size (length), his stick length, size in wall battles - but he needs to adjust his game for the NHL to prove what he did in the khl helps the rangers. And it most certainly can more than him trying to play like Ryan Hollweg. 

I'm not saying he should play like Trouba at all, but like you said, he needs to adjust his game to play in the NHL.

You just said it yourself, he needs to use his size in wall battles.  That sure is hell wasn't a battle along the walls as he got folded up by Hedman.

I made reference to Othmann in an earlier post because Othmann, though very young, looks like he understands the NHL, what kind of effort it will take to be successful.  I'm rooting for Kravtsov to succeed, I just don't know if he realizes what it is going to take to be successful in the NHL.   I'd bet Drury was thinking (and perhaps said) the same thing during last years drama that led to Kravtsov's return to Russia.