• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Opening Night Line-Up

MuddyInTheMiddle

I know that we are exactly one preseason game into this and haven't even seen half of the team play, but I am going to go out on a limb here in search of rep points.

Pick your opening night line-up. Don't have to get the lines/pairs correct, but the 19 starters.

My call:

Kreider-Zib-Laf

Panarin-Trochek- Kaako

Blais-Chytil-Kravtsov

Vesey-Goodrow-Reaves

Carpenter

Lingdren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Hajek

Shesterkin

Halak

• Like 1

Kreider-Zibanejad-Blais
Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov
Lafrenière-Chytil-Kakko

Goodrow-Carpenter-Reaves

Vesey

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Hajek

Shesterkin

Halak

I just switched out Carpy for Vesey for the opener....other than that I this you got this one pegged, Phil.

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko

Lafrenière-Chytil-Blais

Othmann-Goodrow-Vesey

Carpenter/Reaves

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Hajek

I didn't wanna jinx it, but I'm hoping Othmann makes it, Pete!  I don't know what it is, but he has a certain feel to him like he's going to be a special player on this team!

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I didn't wanna jinx it, but I'm hoping Othmann makes it, Pete!  I don't know what it is, but he has a certain feel to him like he's going to be a special player on this team!

I’m starting to think he’ll start with the team for the 9 games or whatever it is before they’d have to send him back to the OHL, but I really hope the Rangers throw away contract status if he’s making an impact even in a bottom 6 role. He’s not going to learn shit in the OHL unless he switches positions.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko

Lafrenière-Chytil-Blais

Othmann-Goodrow-Vesey

Carpenter/Reaves

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Hajek

Would be dope, but no way they carry 14F. Carpenter is cannon fodder in this scenario.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Would be dope, but no way they carry 14F. Carpenter is cannon fodder in this scenario.

With Kravtsov and Othmann, I’d anticipate them with the 2 extra forwards, barring cap issues. Those 2 won’t play every game. And then Blais will be hurt by game 3. Not worth risking losing a player on waivers. 

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Pete was almost right...

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko

Lafrenière-Chytil-Othmann

Vesey-Goodrow-Blais

Carpenter/Reaves

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Hajek

This but probably Reaves starting over Vesey in game 1. 

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Pete was almost right...

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko

Lafrenière-Chytil-Othmann

Vesey-Goodrow-Blais

Carpenter/Reaves

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Hajek

They're not putting Othmann on RW, IMO.

Othmann's going to be frustrating for us. He's going to earn a spot, and probably won't get it for any number of reasons - that his game doesn't fit the line he'd play on, that he can't play RW (reportedly), that his ELC can slide to next season where we'll almost assuredly need him in a proper role, that his performance bonuses could fuck the cap for next year...

I'm just accepting this, and if I'm wrong, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Othmann's going to be frustrating for us. He's going to earn a spot, and probably won't get it for any number of reasons - that his game doesn't fit the line he'd play on, that he can't play RW (reportedly), that his ELC can slide to next season where we'll almost assuredly need him in a proper role, that his performance bonuses could fuck the cap for next year...

I'm just accepting this, and if I'm wrong, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

Where did this “can’t play RW” come from? He’s a shooter, loves his one-timer. He should be able to play the right side easier than a set up guy like Lafreniere 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Where did this “can’t play RW” come from? He’s a shooter, loves his one-timer. He should be able to play the right side easier than a set up guy like Lafreniere 

Can't is strong, but I'd guess that if he were in the mix for a role, we'd see him on the right given the weakness of our RW group. Regardless, inexperience or lack of coach confidence in him playing RW will come up at some point.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

If you are moving Othmann to the RW, no way he doesn't get a look with Panarin. Bread could set him up all year long for snipes. Id like to see it maybe just for a single game.

I agree, had dreams last night of Breadman pulling up in the o-zone and threading a cross-ice pass to the charging Othmann for a one-timer.

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm thinking if the Rangers saw him at RW, he'd have played there last season. It's not like they didn't know they were light on the right.

He was still developing going into that season. He really exceeded expectations with his output last season. I doubt there was a thought of him moving over, or potentially make the team this season. Unlike Panarin and Lafreniere where they rely on their special moves on the boards, he should be able to shift over and still be effective. The skills he brings could really fit well with some of those LWs, and he could slowly transition by playing a simple game. Skate, shoot and get to the net. Other than that, get ready to shoot. 

if he goes back to junior, he should certainly try the off wing and some C. He has the versatility like a Miller, and that would be a huge benefit for the team in the future, and gets him more ice time with the Rangers, sooner.