• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvist Won't Report to Camp; Traded to DAL for 2023 1st and 4th

RichieNextel305

https://nypost.com/2022/09/01/rangers-trying-to-trade-frustrated-nils-lundkvist/amp/

The Rangers are engaged in an accelerated effort to trade Nils Lundkvist after being notified that the 22-year-old Swedish defenseman is unlikely to report to camp in the absence of a deal, The Post has been told by multiple sources. 

Lundkvist, the club’s third, first-round selection in the 2018 draft at 28th overall, turned in a lukewarm performance for the Blueshirts in his first North American season before being sent to the AHL Wolf Pack in mid-January after being leapfrogged by 20-year-old Braden Schneider on the right defense depth chart.

The Post has learned that general manager Chris Drury has been working with Lundkvist’s agent, Claude Lemieux, in order to effect a trade to an organization in which the Swede would have a better opportunity to challenge for a top-four spot and role as a power-play quarterback.

At the same time, though, the Blueshirts are seeking a semblance of equal value in return for Lundkvist, the slick, puck-moving, offense-oriented defenseman who is generously listed at 5-10, 187 pounds.

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Nils Lundkvist Won't Report to Camp; Rangers Seeking Trade Partner
5 minutes ago, Pete said:

What's "equal value" for an unproven, undersized, one way defenseman?

Dunno, but Brooks says they probably want a "top-nine center."

The Blueshirts, though, could certainly use a young, top-nine-type center who might grow with the organization. That is believed to be Drury’s target as they deal with this latest situation involving a young European unhappy with his plight.

So, basically, someone like Shane Bowers, but hopefully not Shane Bowers.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

This might work. Sandin-Schneider third pairing is a helluva lot better looking than any other combo we've talked about.

I’d rather wait on Robertson or plug in Jones. Sandin hasn’t been impressive and it’s weird listing his offensive abilities when Lundkvist is better. Plus, he’s unsigned for a reason - money 

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Dunno, but Brooks says they probably want a "top-nine center."

So, basically, someone like Shane Bowers, but hopefully not Shane Bowers.

Brooks is an idiot. What's a "top 9 center" on a team with Zib, Trochek, and Carpenter? A third line center LOL.

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Brooks is an idiot. What's a "top 9 center" on a team with Zib, Trochek, and Carpenter? A third line center LOL.

I mean, he did say that can grow, so they're basically just looking for some kind of long-term center prospect who can maybe make the team in like 3 years? That's what I meant about Shane Bowers, but not Shane Bowers.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I mean, he did say that can grow, so they're basically just looking for some kind of long-term center prospect who can maybe make the team in like 3 years? That's what I meant about Shane Bowers, but not Shane Bowers.

What's wrong with Shane Bowers?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh sure, let’s “develop” a prospect.

how about a foreign one, too. 

Even better, they’ll trade for a LW. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

What's wrong with Shane Bowers?

I guess not much, but he's kind of aged out. 23 and he's been trying to crack the NHL for the last three years. Lundkvist has at least some pro experience to lean on, but he's only a year younger. For some reason I thought Bowers was 25, not 23.

4 minutes ago, josh said:

Oh sure, let’s “develop” a prospect.

how about a foreign one, too. 

Even better, they’ll trade for a LW. 

This is a prospect thinking he's too developed and wanting an assured roster spot elsewhere. Why? Because another Rangers prospect out developed him. But yeah "wah wah we're chasing all of the Euros away."

3 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This is a prospect thinking he's too developed and wanting an assured roster spot elsewhere.

There are other things that could also be true. If you looked at the depth chart and saw 10 year deal, 4 years left and awarded the C, and a mean gritty rookie more suited for the third pair anyway...Would you want to stay?

I just don't know that I'd jump directly to the entitlement issue just yet.

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This is a prospect thinking he's too developed and wanting an assured roster spot elsewhere. Why? Because another Rangers prospect out developed him. But yeah "wah wah we're chasing all of the Euros away."

I don't think it's this at all. I think he literally sees the writing on the wall and recognizes he's completely blocked out of a meaningful role here. He wants to go somewhere he has a better shot at making it.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't think it's this at all. I think he literally sees the writing on the wall and recognizes he's completely blocked out of a meaningful role here. He wants to go somewhere he has a better shot at making it.

Essentially the same situation, no?

Andersson had Zibanejad, Strome brought in, Chytil leapfrogged, Howden played over him

Kravtsov saw Kreider extended, Panarin on a long term deal, Kakko and Lafreniere drafted, Buch was still there and so we’re guys like Fast.