• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Moving Forward With 2024 World Cup

Sod16

I'm really not crazy about this.  17 day break in February would again push the playoffs too far into the summer just when we are getting back to a normal schedule.  It's like adding two more rounds of playoffs to players who are already playing a ridiculous amount of games.  Previous "World Cups" have frankly been sort of a flop.  I couldn't give away tickets to the 2004 games in St. Paul.  Quick, who won the 2016 "World Cup"?  How much do you really remember?

https://www.nhl.com/news/world-cup-of-hockey-return-status/c-335370560

Edited by Sod16

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I've never understood the hate towards these tournaments really. I think it's awesome. You get to watch the best players in the world on stacked teams go against each other. I couldn't care less about the workload and lack of rest for athletes making millions of dollar, I want as much entertainment as possible.

Kind of agree, just not mid season. Too much risk of injury. 

Also, just who won the 2013 Stanley Cup? Guaranteed unless your team won, you wouldn't know who won in any specific year without looking. That has literally zero to do with whether or not this is a good idea. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

25 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I've never understood the hate towards these tournaments really. I think it's awesome. You get to watch the best players in the world on stacked teams go against each other. I couldn't care less about the workload and lack of rest for athletes making millions of dollar, I want as much entertainment as possible.

i don’t HATE the idea of the tournament.. if I don’t have anything better going on and it’s on tv I’ll certainly watch but…

1) mid season is annoying. Teams get into flows that are disrupted. Guys get hurt. Etc etc. leave the season alone. Have it in late august/early september. Guys will be game ready for the nhl and it won’t disrupt the season as much. 

2) it’s hard to care when basically it’s a 5 team tournament every time. Japan vs. Poland is a nail biter for like 6000 ppl I’m sure but generally USA Canada Czech Finland or Sweden are top dog depending on who plays for them. Not much can be done about that but never the less it makes it a whole lot less interesting to me. we know the dream team will beat Croatia. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, siddious said:

2) it’s hard to care when basically it’s a 5 team tournament every time. Japan vs. Poland is a nail biter for like 6000 ppl I’m sure but generally USA Canada Czech Finland or Sweden are top dog depending on who plays for them. Not much can be done about that but never the less it makes it a whole lot less interesting to me. we know the dream team will beat Croatia. 

But that's how it is with most high level tournaments, no? There's always a huge gap between best and worst. It's the same in the football World Cup.

You have a few teams that can win the tournament - USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia. You have a bunch of teams that on a good day could beat any team, like - Czechia, Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia, Denmark. And then you have some fillers that's there for the experience.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

But that's how it is with most high level tournaments, no? There's always a huge gap between best and worst. It's the same in the football World Cup.

You have a few teams that can win the tournament - USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia. You have a bunch of teams that on a good day could beat any team, like - Czechia, Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia, Denmark. And then you have some fillers that's there for the experience.

I was debating posting that point for exactly that reason but I feel like In soccer it’s a little more balanced? I’m by no means a soccer expert but it feels that way to me. 

you may be right but my point still stands- last season in the nhl I could have seen 6-7 different teams win the cup at the start of the playoffs. Made watching it that much more interesting. 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Also, just who won the 2013 Stanley Cup? Guaranteed unless your team won, you wouldn't know who won in any specific year without looking. That has literally zero to do with whether or not this is a good idea. 

You'd remember who won the Stanley Cup if it was played once every four (or eight) years.

The back and forth in this thread is pretty funny. 🤪 I can barely remember what I had for breakfast. I know the Devils won a few cups in the 90's, we won in 94, Ray Bourque got a cup with the Avalanche, Tampa won a couple in a row recently and Pat Maroon is a Stanley Cup ring monster. 

But as for this World Cup? Move it to September and rearrange the pre season schedule. Touching regular season or playoffs is silly. NHL is the best league in the world; work around it.

• VINNY! 1

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes, so they should do away with the Olympics by that logic. 

Who won the gold in the men's 100 m freestyle in 1980? Don't remember? Let's just trash it all.

Isn’t that the year we boycotted the Olympics? That’s cherry picking! 

2 issues; 1. What do you do with Russia, and 2. is the NHL(who will run this)  again going to to that silly "Young Guns"  or "Euro leftovers" crap teams.

Think if the war is over, Russia has to be in.

And either a player is good enough to make his national team or he is not. And putting a mess of Euro guys from small countries together makes no sense. More fun if Norway or Lithuania gives the big boys a scare.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:41 PM, Bugg said:

2 issues; 1. What do you do with Russia, and 2. is the NHL(who will run this)  again going to to that silly "Young Guns"  or "Euro leftovers" crap teams.

Think if the war is over, Russia has to be in.

And either a player is good enough to make his national team or he is not. And putting a mess of Euro guys from small countries together makes no sense. More fun if Norway or Lithuania gives the big boys a scare.

Its not mentioned in the article linked in the OP but I do remember seeing something that said they were not going to be using the all star squads this time.  Just singular countries.