• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BSBH Best Undrafted Free Agent Signings Power Rankings

Phil

Welcome to the inaugural BSBH Best Undrafted Free Agent Signings Power Rankings!

If you are not familiar with power rankings, it is a rating system that analyzes the results of sports competitions to provide objective ratings for each player. Use your own objectives to make your changes to the rankings. That can include contract value, performance as a Ranger, or whatever else you think matters.

How It Works:

• I will provide the initial ranking based on my big beautiful brain.
  • Each member can add 2 (TWO) players to the list. These additions must be added at the bottom of the most recent version of the list. Additions are not required to participate.
  • Each member can also make 2 (TWO) moves, up or down, in which you can move a single player up or down as many as 2 (TWO) slots, or move 2 players 1 slot each once a day.
  • For this rankings list, adding a player does not count as a move.
  • These undrafted free agents must have been signed by the Rangers, so players like Martin St. Louis don't count. This is the best Undrafted Free Agent Signings thread, not acquisitions.

As with all interactive threads here, this isn't a serious thread, but it is fun, so please take it somewhat seriously and don't intentionally sabotage the game for the rest of the community.

Comments regarding your moves are encouraged. Extended discussions about another user are prohibited. If you feel that strongly about any given player, open a new thread on them and let the community discuss it like any other topic.

Two candidates I'm adding to the list to kick us off:

Dan Girardi — 230 points in 788 games as a defenseman. Sixth all-time in games played as a defenseman for the Rangers. 33 points in 122 playoff games. One-time All-Star. Shockingly never won the Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award. Pretty damned good for an undrafted free agent signing who began his Rangers' career at 22.

Mark Pavelich — 318 points (133 goals) in 341 games with seven goals and 24 points in 23 playoff games over just a five-year Rangers' career. Pretty impressive all things considered.

BSBH Best Undrafted Free Agent Signings Power Rankings:

1. Dan Girardi
  2. Mark Pavelich
  • Like 1

1) Mats Zuccarello 

2) Walt Tkaczuk +2

3) Dan Girardi

4) Mark Pavelich

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Zucc is a fantastic add. Personally, it's he or Girardi at the top. I waver.

Also, just FYI, this is undrafted free agents, period, not just college. Wanted to make that clear.

Tkaczuk is 5th in games played and 6 in points in franchise history.

1) Mats Zuccarello 

2) Walt Tkaczuk +2

3) Dan Girardi

4) Mark Pavelich

5) Nick Fotiu

6) Cam Talbot

-- 

Fotiu - First of all, Staten Islander ✊. Second, he was the first player from NYC to play for the Rangers. He was a huge fan favorite, and still is, for fans of a certain age.

Talbot - Once Hank started to show some chinks in the armor, Talbot was there. He started a crucial stretch when Hank was hurt and really proved himself as a goaltender.

Tkaczuk does not count.  He was pre Universal Draft (1969).  He was bound to the Rangers as a member of a Rangers sponsored junior team (just as, say, Bobby Orr was part of a Bruins sponsored team).  Walt was no more of an undrafted signing than was Bobby Orr.

I’d probably have to say Girardi.

Zucc is up there, but even though he went undrafted, he had success in Norway, first as a Junior, then in the men’s league, and as an International. It’s just it’s Norway.

Its not huge in Norway.

Girardi was played 5 seasons in the OHL and was in the ECHL briefly. That’s usually a death sentence for an NHL career. 

Two guys we picked up undrafted that probably make the list but won’t lead the rankings are

Neal Pionk

303 NHL games 19 goals 132 assists 151 points over 5 NHL years. Also part of a trade that landed us Trouba

Alexander Georgiev

129 NHL games, 58 wins, 2.94 GAA .908 save % 

also landed us 3 later draft picks when traded and ga e us a fighters chance at times 🙂

• Like 1

1. Mats Zuccarello 

2. Walt Tkaczuk

3. Dan Girardi

4. Nick Fotiu +1

5. Mark Pavelich

6. Cam Talbot

7. Neal Pionk

8. Alexander Georgiev

Formally adding @Keirik's suggestions to the list. Pionk belongs, I agree, but mostly because of the trade. He's played 303 games but just 101 for the Rangers.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’d probably have to say Girardi.

Zucc is up there, but even though he went undrafted, he had success in Norway, first as a Junior, then in the men’s league, and as an International. It’s just it’s Norway.

Its not huge in Norway.

Girardi was played 5 seasons in the OHL and was in the ECHL briefly. That’s usually a death sentence for an NHL career. 

I wouldn't be upset if Girardi was moved back to the top. It's close. I gave the edge to Zuccarello only because I think at his peak here he was a better and more productive player than Girardi