• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wild Re-Sign Marc-Andre Fleury to 2-Year/$7M Extension

Keirik

The Minnesota Wild have signed goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to a two-year, $7 million contract, the team announced Thursday. Fleury is now signed through the 2023-24 season.

Fleury was slated to become an unrestricted free agent when the NHLfree agency period opens on July 14.

An All-Star in 2020-21, Fleury was traded from the Chicago Blackhawks to the Wild in exchange for a 2022 second-round pick prior to the 2022 trade deadline. In the 2021-22 season, Fleury put together a 28-23-5 record to go along with a 2.90 goals-against-average and a .908 save percentage. It marked the 13th time that Fleury recorded at least 25 wins in a season. Only Martin Brodeur (15) and Patrick Roy (14) have recorded more 25-win seasons than Fleury.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/wild-sign-goaltender-marc-andre-fleury-to-two-year-7-million-contract/

• Phil changed the title to Wild Re-Sign Marc-Andre Fleury to 2-Year/$7M Extension
10 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Very strange.  They can pay for a goalie in decline who was passed over in the playoffs but keeping Fiala was out of the question.

Just keep in mind, they've got a metric ton of dead cap space because of the Parise and Suter buyouts.

2022-23: $12.7mil dead cap

2023-24: $14.7mil dead cap

2024-25: $14.7mil dead cap

2025-26: $1.66 dead cap

They need as many value contracts as possible for the next three seasons. $3.5mil is palatable. $7.875mil is not. They're spending less on goaltending than LA is on Fiala. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

A curious move.  He's going to be 38 early next season.  I sure wouldn't have re-signed Hank for two more years at that age.  

From Guerin's mouth-off, you sure wouldn't know that Talbot ended up outplaying MAF and getting most of the playoff starts.  Oh well, I guess I'd be ornery as well if I was living in the ultimate cap hell.

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

A curious move.  He's going to be 38 early next season.  I sure wouldn't have re-signed Hank for two more years at that age.  

From Guerin's mouth-off, you sure wouldn't know that Talbot ended up outplaying MAF and getting most of the playoff starts.  Oh well, I guess I'd be ornery as well if I was living in the ultimate cap hell.

Are Guerin and Fleury old buds from Bill's last years as a player in Pittsburgh?

It's an odd move to sign him and kind of a dick move tell your other goalie to STFU.

Maybe Guerin isnt cut out to be a GM when he talks like that and signs another goalie (whom he may potentially have a friendly relationship with off ice) when his star forward is stuck in Russia (work visa and potentially wanted by law for selling fake military IDs) and a few holes in his lineup. 3.5 X 2 when you already have a decent goalie?

I dunno. I just always thought Guerin was a cock and a meat head. 

Edited by The Dude