• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Full 2022-23 Season Scheduled Released

Phil

I don't know why people blame the NHL for this. They are working around arena availability and CBA rules around travel and proximity of games, etc. I mean they are doing the best they can, it's not all on them all the time.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know why people blame the NHL for this. They are working around arena availability and CBA rules around travel and proximity of games, etc. I mean they are doing the best they can, it's not all on them all the time.

You don't mean that.

This is a billion dollar industry, not youth little league baseball.

1 minute ago, josh said:

You don't mean that.

This is a billion dollar industry, not youth little league baseball.

It's a billion dollar industry that in most cities falls way behind the NBA and other arena events. And again, the CBA dictates days off, travel windows, when games can/can't be played, etc. My point is, let's not act like they intentionally make decisions that don't make sense. This isn't DoPS.

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

More along the lines of this being our annual reminder that the NHL has some really dumb scheduling quirks that lead to situations like the Rangers facing the Islanders, Senators, and Panthers the same number of times regardless of division or value to the NHL.

We can accept that there are rules and that some of those rules exist for good reason while also criticizing some rules that just don't seem to make any sense from a business or competition perspective.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Rangers/Islanders, from January through April the NHL couldnt figure out a day to have these 2 teams meet, and maybe take out the November game?  The 2 teams play 20 miles apart, i'm sure its not that much of an inconvenience for the NHL scheduling algorithm to get 2 teams a snot rocket away from each other maybe towards the end of the season instead of mid-season.   

The NHL has to at some point change the schedule where divisional games are more heavily scheduled, as Rhom/Lind pointed out, the Rangers play the Senators the same amount of times as the Islanders 

44 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

More along the lines of this being our annual reminder that the NHL has some really dumb scheduling quirks that lead to situations like the Rangers facing the Islanders, Senators, and Panthers the same number of times regardless of division or value to the NHL.

We can accept that there are rules and that some of those rules exist for good reason while also criticizing some rules that just don't seem to make any sense from a business or competition perspective.

Well they added Vegas and Seattle and didn't increase the # of games played and every team still has to play each team at home and away so those games have to be stolen from somewhere.

26 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Rangers/Islanders, from January through April the NHL couldnt figure out a day to have these 2 teams meet, and maybe take out the November game?  The 2 teams play 20 miles apart, i'm sure its not that much of an inconvenience for the NHL scheduling algorithm to get 2 teams a snot rocket away from each other maybe towards the end of the season instead of mid-season.   

The NHL has to at some point change the schedule where divisional games are more heavily scheduled, as Rhom/Lind pointed out, the Rangers play the Senators the same amount of times as the Islanders 

I'm sure they could if they weren't figuring out how each team also plays 30 other teams in a way that makes sense for arena avails and travel.

It's like people complain about it every year, like if the NHL could do it differently, they wouldn't...

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I'm sure they could if they weren't figuring out how each team also plays 30 other teams in a way that makes sense for arena avails and travel.

It's like people complain about it every year, like if the NHL could do it differently, they wouldn't...

My gripe is that they imbalance the schedule in the name of parity - it's "our turn" to host some Atlantic teams twice and vice versa, or "our turn" to only face the Islanders three times, for example. I don't think they've figured out the whole 32 teams, 82 games situation yet, and they'd do well to call some matchups sacred in the name of competition or profit.

I'm personally a bit sore at the one game in Tampa, but you can't tell me that Tampa doesn't fucking love hosting the Rangers twice for profit reasons. Do that, because MSG doesn't really care if you put the goddamn Solar Bears on the ice against the Rangers. We really should never have the Islanders or Devils reduced to 3x a season matchup frequencies. Montreal should always have two home and two away against Toronto and Boston. Calgary and Edmonton should get that same guardianship, and so on.

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

My gripe is that they imbalance the schedule in the name of parity - it's "our turn" to host some Atlantic teams twice and vice versa, or "our turn" to only face the Islanders three times, for example. I don't think they've figured out the whole 32 teams, 82 games situation yet, and they'd do well to call some matchups sacred in the name of competition or profit.

I'm personally a bit sore at the one game in Tampa, but you can't tell me that Tampa doesn't fucking love hosting the Rangers twice for profit reasons. Do that, because MSG doesn't really care if you put the goddamn Solar Bears on the ice against the Rangers. We really should never have the Islanders or Devils reduced to 3x a season matchup frequencies. Montreal should always have two home and two away against Toronto and Boston. Calgary and Edmonton should get that same guardianship, and so on.

Keep in mind that the teams and their arenas have a role in this, as to arena dates being available. MSG works around the Knicks, the dog show and the Big East tournament and concerts and events that get scheduled well in advance. Easy to blame the NHL, but they aren't acting in a vacuum.  

26 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Keep in mind that the teams and their arenas have a role in this, as to arena dates being available. MSG works around the Knicks, the dog show and the Big East tournament and concerts and events that get scheduled well in advance. Easy to blame the NHL, but they aren't acting in a vacuum.  

I don't know what that has to do with anything. It's pre-determined who you face, where, and how many times. The only thing the schedule determines is when - and my point is that they may as well fix up the pre-determined parts to maximize revenue.

• Like 1