• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafreniere - Position in '22-'23

Anyhow...I dont understand why you wouldnt try to to utilize 3 scoring lines.

Say the kid line picks up where it left off... Keep Mika and Kreids together...find a good enough fit for panarin to go along with that big kick in the ass from Drury...and then role out three lines that can score - spreading out the time evenly. You can even plug in guys like blais on those top 2 lines if you need some grit.

• VINNY! 1

4 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

Panarin moves around pretty seamlessly on the pp. And hes basically a kind of hockey savant. Hed have the most success at rw

He's a Rooskie and half of his passes are backhand anyway.

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Kakko's problem isn't with linemates. He had last season almost entirely with the top 2 lines and he still didn't produce.

He didn't play with Zib. He's not a fit with Panarin. 

Kreider-Zib-Kakko? 

Panarin-JT Miller or PLD- Laf

Goodrow-Chytil-Krav

?-?-Reaves

Laf moving to RW really changes the dynamic of the team.

I suggested moving K'Andre for JT Miller in a one for one trade. We have Lundkvist, Jones, etc to move into a role on this team. We gotta really think of a true hockey trade to upgrade from a position of strength.

32 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Kreider-Zib-Kakko? 

Panarin-JT Miller or PLD- Laf

Goodrow-Chytil-Krav

?-?-Reaves

Laf moving to RW really changes the dynamic of the team.

I suggested moving K'Andre for JT Miller in a one for one trade. We have Lundkvist, Jones, etc to move into a role on this team. We gotta really think of a true hockey trade to upgrade from a position of strength.

I have to admit, it makes some sense, but I just can't get my hands around moving K'Andre (and having it go down as a historical blunder).  With one year left on his contract, J.T. should be springable for less.  Sooner or later, I suppose we have to come to grips with a painful trade of one of our strengths on defense to address weaknesses elsewhere.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Sod16 said:

I have to admit, it makes some sense, but I just can't get my hands around moving K'Andre (and having it go down as a historical blunder).  With one year left on his contract, J.T. should be springable for less.  Sooner or later, I suppose we have to come to grips with a painful trade of one of our strengths on defense to address weaknesses elsewhere.

What do you think it would take? Because it's going to start with Miller or a Miller-like object (young, cost controlled via RFA, ready to step in and contribute)... You're not getting him for a non-roster player i.e. Nils only, IMO. 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

In the regular season he played on the Zib line the most of any line last year.

Totally blanked on him ever being there but you're talking 1% difference. So 20 games with Zib and 20 split between Chytil and Strome. 

Not enough sample size there. 

Looks like relatively same production whether with Zib or Chytil. 

https://leftwinglock.com/line-production/index.php?type=1

(Search Kakko ⬆️)

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Pending 30 y.o. UFAs coming off a career year (by far), don’t typically cost 23 y.o. cost controlled stud defensemen who have shown it at the NHL level. That would be a monumental fuck up by Drury.

Career year sure, but over P/G over last 3 seasons. It's not Kadri.

13 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Kakko's problem isn't with linemates. He had last season almost entirely with the top 2 lines and he still didn't produce.

He had 14 points in his last 27 games before getting hurt after going scoreless in the first 10 games.  I'm not mad at a .52 ppg pace.  That's a decent jump for a 20 year old from the .35 of his first 100 games.  Sucks he got hurt, but he was getting comfortable in the top 6 before the injury.  There's no reason for Kakko to not go back to Zib's RW with Vatrano out of the way.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Totally blanked on him ever being there but you're talking 1% difference. So 20 games with Zib and 20 split between Chytil and Strome. 

Not enough sample size there. 

Looks like relatively same production whether with Zib or Chytil. 

https://leftwinglock.com/line-production/index.php?type=1

(Search Kakko ⬆️)

That must include the playoffs?

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?select=F&forward=NYR%3A5023%3AKAAPO%3AKAKKO&games=2021-2022%3AR%3A99&period=ALL&situation=EV

11 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

Anyhow...I dont understand why you wouldnt try to to utilize 3 scoring lines.

Say the kid line picks up where it left off... Keep Mika and Kreids together...find a good enough fit for panarin to go along with that big kick in the ass from Drury...and then role out three lines that can score - spreading out the time evenly. You can even plug in guys like blais on those top 2 lines if you need some grit.

You don't need 3 scoring lines.  The top 2 lines will score plenty.  They need a line that can play smothering defense.  That's what was missing in the playoffs.  We couldn't stop Kuch-Stamkos-Palat, and the Cirelli line gave our offense issues.

35 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

If Vancouver is to maximize what they get for Miller, they will trade him to someone who has had permission to talk to him and has a long term extension lined up.  That won't be us.

Not sure that’s true. If Drury shedded Kakko (~$2.3), Chytil ($2.3), and Nemeth (2.5), that’s the bulk of Miller’s extended salary (assuming $8.5M extended). That doesn’t take into account a raise for Chytil next summer either, which I would assume he’s in the $3s or $4s based on production. So…it can work if Drury wants it to, but should he want to do that for a 30 year old center?

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Not sure that’s true. If Drury shedded Kakko (~$2.3), Chytil ($2.3), and Nemeth (2.5), that’s the bulk of Miller’s extended salary (assuming $8.5M extended). That doesn’t take into account a raise for Chytil next summer either, which I would assume he’s in the $3s or $4s based on production. So…it can work if Drury wants it to, but should he want to do that for a 30 year old center?

For a 30 year old no, but PLD is only 24...  I'd give PLD $55 mil over 8 years.  ($6.875 cap hit)

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

For a 30 year old no, but PLD is only 24...  I'd give PLD $55 mil over 8 years.  ($6.875 cap hit)

Doesn’t make enough sense to me to pay the trade cost for a JT Miller rather than just wait one year to get him in UFA…or even just 6 months and get him as a trade deadline target if the team is a contender.

PLD, on the other hand, is worth the sacrifice because he is young and only attainable via trade for the next 2 years.

Even Scheifelle with 2 years left makes more sense than Miller, but still not nearly as much sense as PLD.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Doesn’t make enough sense to me to pay the trade cost for a JT Miller rather than just wait one year to get him in UFA…or even just 6 months and get him as a trade deadline target if the team is a contender.

PLD, on the other hand, is worth the sacrifice because he is young and only attainable via trade for the next 2 years.

Even Scheifelle with 2 years left makes more sense than Miller, but still not nearly as much sense as PLD.

Doesn't seem like PLD is available right now, contrary to reports.

56 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Seems like Drury is checking in on a lot of different center options and then seeing what makes the most sense to actually pull the trigger on.

Rangersland is going to flip their shit when, after all the smoke, Strome re-signs for 5.5M x 6 years