• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Drury Not Happy With Panarin's Performance in Playoffs

Phil

15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Exactly, and that’s my point.

I think Panarin has pride. If Drury was vocal about his performance, Panarin doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy to curl in a ball and cry, he strikes me as the kind of guy who will come back and make sure he’s better.

What's not lost on me is that Staple basically made this story up for clicks, and now it's being picked up by legitimate outlets like THN. 

Drury was vocally upset about the playoffs, vocal for Drury means he actually spoke words out loud. What was the reaction from the bread man? Is that on record? How does anybody even know there's a rift? What if he didn't even know that anybody said anything about his playoff performance, and now he does?

It's complete speculation and garbage reporting. 

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

What's not lost on me is that Staple basically made this story up for clicks, and now it's being picked up by legitimate outlets like THN. 

Drury was vocally upset about the playoffs, vocal for Drury means he actually spoke words out loud. What was the reaction from the bread man? Is that on record? How does anybody even know there's a rift?

I agree. It’s a made up, click bait piece of shit. No one knows what happened in that room, no one knows exactly what was said, no one knows how Panarin feels.

I don’t think many are taking it that seriously.

2 hours ago, Capt said:

Ok fine.  The team improved though and that is not debatable.  You have finally brought up the cap in your discussion and that is a huge factor in all of this.  Panarin is a great talent and in a precap league the Rangers could afford to wait to see if the playoffs were a fluke.  But in a cap league the rangers wait and they lose other important roster pieces due to the cap.  They fill in their roster with league minimum hacks because of the cap.  They go bargain bin shopping for second line centers because of the cap.  Panarin makes up 15% of the cap.  He's the highest paid player in the league not named McDavid.  He signed his contract 3-4 years ago and no-one other than McDavid has signed one since at a higher AAV. Nobody should have too guess if he will be better or if he will show up in the playoffs.  At $11.5M that should be automatic.  

You're opinion is fair.  You're point about him not going anywhere is fair and I agree with you there.  The cap is the point here for me.  Vancouver is supposedly shopping Miller and Horvat.  The two of them make up $11.5M combined for this year.  It may take more than Panarin to get both, maybe Panarin and Lundqvist.  But with Strome off the books the Rangers are playing with $16M in cap to replace Strome and Panarin.  Horvat and Miller would replace them and save them cap. Miller at $8M and Horvat at most at $7M.  Saving $1m which could go to Motte.

Lineup:

Kredier Zib Blais

Miller Horvat Kravtsov

Laff Chytil Kakko

Motte Rooney Goodrow

To me that's a much better playoff team.  Otthmann and Cuyille could both push themselves into that lineup as well

You also fail to recognize that Vancouver is shopping Miller and Horvat because they need salary cap breathing room. They're not looking to simply swap the cap ledger room of two players for one. They're looking to free up that $11.5 million to reallocate those dollars to their own players.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Capt said:

Ok fine.  The team improved though and that is not debatable.  You have finally brought up the cap in your discussion and that is a huge factor in all of this.  Panarin is a great talent and in a precap league the Rangers could afford to wait to see if the playoffs were a fluke.  But in a cap league the rangers wait and they lose other important roster pieces due to the cap.  They fill in their roster with league minimum hacks because of the cap.  They go bargain bin shopping for second line centers because of the cap.  Panarin makes up 15% of the cap.  He's the highest paid player in the league not named McDavid.  He signed his contract 3-4 years ago and no-one other than McDavid has signed one since at a higher AAV. Nobody should have too guess if he will be better or if he will show up in the playoffs.  At $11.5M that should be automatic.  

You're opinion is fair.  You're point about him not going anywhere is fair and I agree with you there.  The cap is the point here for me.  Vancouver is supposedly shopping Miller and Horvat.  The two of them make up $11.5M combined for this year.  It may take more than Panarin to get both, maybe Panarin and Lundqvist.  But with Strome off the books the Rangers are playing with $16M in cap to replace Strome and Panarin.  Horvat and Miller would replace them and save them cap. Miller at $8M and Horvat at most at $7M.  Saving $1m which could go to Motte.

Lineup:

Kredier Zib Blais

Miller Horvat Kravtsov

Laff Chytil Kakko

Motte Rooney Goodrow

To me that's a much better playoff team.  Otthmann and Cuyille could both push themselves into that lineup as well

And you have that for 1 uear before you're back in cap trouble, so why bother?

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

And you have that for 1 uear before you're back in cap trouble, so why bother?

To be in, arguably, the exact same position. It's one year of cap relief with the likelihood of a near identical long-term value. Panarin (11.5) + Strome (5) is likely $16.5 million combined. Miller (9) + Horvat (7.5) is likely $16.5 million combined.

Oh, and before we do the silly "Miller isn't getting nine!" thing, yes he is. Whatever Forsberg signs for, which is rumored to be in exactly this range, is exactly what Miller will get, if not more.

• Bullseye 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

To be in, arguably, the exact same position. It's one year of cap relief with the likelihood of a near identical long-term value. Panarin (11.5) + Strome (5) is likely $16.5 million combined. Miller (9) + Horvat (7.5) is likely $16.5 million combined.

Oh, and before we do the silly "Miller isn't getting nine!" thing, yes he is. Whatever Forsberg signs for, which is rumored to be in exactly this range, is exactly what Miller will get, if not more.

Definitely. Miller’s floor on the open market is $8.5. That’s what Zib got 1 year before hitting open market. That was less than what most were assuming ($9-10). Miller’s production is in line with that. $8.5 if he takes a small discount to be somewhere he’d rather be. $9-10 per to take max offer.

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Definitely. Miller’s floor on the open market is $8.5. That’s what Zib got 1 year before hitting open market. That was less than what most were assuming ($9-10). Miller’s production is in line with that. $8.5 if he takes a small discount to be somewhere he’d rather be. $9-10 per to take max offer.

Yup. All depends on where he goes and whether it's seven or eight years. But agree completely with $8.5 million being the minimum he'll get.

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. All depends on where he goes and whether it's seven or eight years. But agree completely with $8.5 million being the minimum he'll get.

And Miller does what Zib does while dragging his team into the fight. I'm a huge Zib fan, and was a huge Miller fan, but for me—At the same price point I take Miller all day and I don't look back.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

And Miller does what Zib does while dragging his team into the fight. I'm a huge Zib fan, and was a huge Miller fan, but for me—At the same price point I take Miller all day and I don't look back.

I would have to break rank with you on that. I take Zib every day. His goal scoring ability sets him apart.

But they could have both long term if they really wanted to (without trading Panarin).

Edited by rmc51

27 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I would have to break rank with you on that. I take Zib every day. His goal scoring ability sets him apart.

But they could have both long term if they really wanted to (without trading Panarin).

I hear you on the goal scoring, I just take Miller's shooter mentality and physicality over that.

That said, there's a shelf life on that from a wear and tear perspective.

Miller's production is in line with Panarin's.  If Miller is worth $8.5M and can play both center and wing.  Kills penalties and power play, plays physical, drags his teammates into the fight, etc.  How is he worth $8.5M while Panarin is worth $11.5M?  

I'm not judging Panarin's commitment or drive.  I'm not questioning if he's a good player.  I'm questioning the logic of having so much money invested in single players.  Trouba is another one but he's not 31 and he didn't melt in the playoffs.  It's Panarin or Kreider that will have to give at some point.  Laff, Miller, and Chytil all need new contracts next year.  How is that getting done?

If Panarin was making $8.5M he'd be playing to his contract.  Making an extra $3M AAV is a big deal even if no one here wants top admit it.  It's a problem.  It' 

Edited by Capt

1 minute ago, Capt said:

Miller's production is in line with Panarin's.  If Miller is worth $8.5M and can play both center and wing.  Kills penalties and power play, plays physical, drags his teammates into the fight, etc.  How is he worth $8.5M while Panarin is worth $11.5M?  

I'm not judging Panarin's commitment or drive.  I'm not questioning if he's a good player.  I'm questioning the logic of having so much money invested in single players.  Trouba is another one but he's not 31 and he didn't melt in the playoffs.  It's Panarin or Kreider that will have to give at some point.  Laff, Miller, and Chytil all need new contracts next year.  How is that getting done?

If Panarin was making $8.5M he'd be playing to his contract.  Making an extra $3M AAV is a big deal even if no one here wants top admit it.  It's a problem.  It' 

Yeah let’s pump the brakes here. It’s one year from Miller, and still less points per game than Panarin’s lowest in 3 years here.

Miller:

’19-20: 1.04 points/game

‘20-21: .87

’21-22: 1.24

Panarin:

’19-20: 1.38

‘20-21: 1.38

’21-22: 1.28

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Drury was vocally upset about the playoffs, vocal for Drury means he actually spoke words out loud. What was the reaction from the bread man? Is that on record? How does anybody even know there's a rift? What if he didn't even know that anybody said anything about his playoff performance, and now he does?

Cancelled my The Athletic subscription after Staple took over, seems to me he's been kind of lazy on writing in depth articles since he took over for Carp.  I know a lot of people hated Carp, but at least he wrote more than 2-3 paragraphs.  

40 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Cancelled my The Athletic subscription after Staple took over, seems to me he's been kind of lazy on writing in depth articles since he took over for Carp.  I know a lot of people hated Carp, but at least he wrote more than 2-3 paragraphs.  

I've found the opposite. Carp did the bare minimum. Staple produces content more regularly and attempts to seek out others for information. Staple is incredibly bland, but I can't fault him on effort.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I've got no issues with Staple's coverage. He even hosts an informative podcast. Why would he do that if he didn't even want to be on the beat?

I stopped listening after a while because it's boring as hell, but he definitely knows his shit and is articulate enough in expressing himself. My biggest issue was that he'd do it by himself and then occasionally have his producer come on. I don't know if things have changed, but he should've had the producer on full time. He needs someone to play off of because he's so bland and unenthused. I'd still take listening to him over any of the shouting going on elsewhere, though.

11 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I've found the opposite. Carp did the bare minimum. Staple produces content more regularly and attempts to seek out others for information. Staple is incredibly bland, but I can't fault him on effort.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

I've got no issues with Staple's coverage. He even hosts an informative podcast. Why would he do that if he didn't even want to be on the beat?

I've got issues with his content not being rooted in reality. Strome taking $4.5? Rift between Panarin and Drury?

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I've got issues with his content not being rooted in reality. Strome taking $4.5? Rift between Panarin and Drury?

He never made up any such thing. He said:

Strome may be willing to take a bit less in salary and a bit more on term to stay, given he’s been a Ranger for four years and finally found his footing as an NHLer after his stays with the Islanders and Oilers. If Drury could get Strome for six years at an AAV beginning with a four (preferably at or below $4.5 million), that would be a better option for the Rangers going forward. 

Link: https://theathletic.com/3367091/2022/06/16/rangers-strome-copp-kakko-free-agency/

That's not "Strome is taking $4.5M."

He also never said there was a rift between Drury and Panarin. He said Drury was vocally dissatisfied with Panarin's performance. Is that really something out of this world for Drury to do given he has a history of addressing players publicly e.g. Kravtsov.  

Edit: I actually missed where he mused about the rift.

7 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He never made up any such thing. He said:

Link: https://theathletic.com/3367091/2022/06/16/rangers-strome-copp-kakko-free-agency/

That's not "Strome is taking $4.5M."

He also never said there was a rift between Drury and Panarin. He said Drury was vocally dissatisfied with Panarin's performance. Is that really something out of this world for Drury to do given he has a history of addressing players publicly e.g. Kravtsov.  

Edit: I actually missed where he mused about the rift.

Even suggesting that Strome could be had at 4.5 is far-fetched. 

My point is he says a lot of things just to get clicks that aren't based in reality.