• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About Gerard Gallant

CK20

Gallant did a great job all year and they got farther into the playoffs then we expected, plus he is far better than AV or Quinn. Did he make mistakes sure all coaches do just like players do. 

It must tell us something if GG played a 60% healthy Strome over a 100% Kakko which I bet GG got sick and tired of Kakko not back checking, playing physical enough or aggressive. For me Kakko is another pussy and bust like Anderson and needs to be delt in the upcoming season. 

Panarin is the other issue and a playoff bust except it one great goal against the Pens. Extremely predictable with the puck as he always goes down the left side boards, primarily stays there and usually dishes the puck off. Find another 90 point season LW and trade Panarin for someone who wants to play.

Fox while great seemed like in another world in the Tampa series and did not have the fire. According to the post game with Mika/Krieder they said fatigue was not a factor

IMO where they pissed at GG in game 6 with the line changes or was Tampa (back to back cup winner) just a little better. On any giving day I would take Igor over Vasilesky as we exposed how bad he is blocker and glove side. Tampa defense makes him look good and we will see how the Avs destroy him as they wont keep the Avs playing just around the perimeter.

We need a better backup for Igor then Georgiev as look how the Av's got to playoffs without Kemper at times.

Off season who has to go Kakko, Strome, Rooney, Georgiev, Hunt, Braun and Nemeth. Blais coming back could fill in the 3rd or 4th line, with some stronger roster additions (depending on cap space) the team will look a little different at the beginning of the season and we will be back in the Eastern Conference final

Unrestricted free agents should sign Copp and Vatrano as I would like to see how well Copp does for a full season here. Copp may be to expensive to keep but make it work. Restricted free agents Keep Blais and Gauthier. 

Could the team afford Johnny Hockey , Dump Panaran or add Johnny and keep both?????????????? - Due you really keep Reaves as he did not add anything to this team?

Diamond in the rough maybe dump Georgiev for Blues Free agent Lindgren only 750,000

UPCOMING SEASON WILL BE EVEN BETTER !

Edited by Blueshirts1926
  • VINNY! 1

28 minutes ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

Gallant did a great job all year and they got farther into the playoffs then we expected, plus he is far better than AV or Quinn. Did he make mistakes sure all coaches do just like players do. 

It must tell us something if GG played a 60% healthy Strome over a 100% Kakko which I bet GG got sick and tired of Kakko not back checking, playing physical enough or aggressive. For me Kakko is another pussy and bust like Anderson and needs to be delt in the upcoming season. 

Panarin is the other issue and a playoff bust except it one great goal against the Pens. Extremely predictable with the puck as he always goes down the left side boards, primarily stays there and usually dishes the puck off. Find another 90 point season LW and trade Panarin for someone who wants to play.

Fox while great seemed like in another world in the Tampa series and did not have the fire. According to the post game with Mika/Krieder they said fatigue was not a factor

IMO where they pissed at GG in game 6 with the line changes or was Tampa (back to back cup winner) just a little better. On any giving day I would take Igor over Vasilesky as we exposed how bad he is blocker and glove side. Tampa defense makes him look good and we will see how the Avs destroy him as they wont keep the Avs playing just around the perimeter.

We need a better backup for Igor then Georgiev as look how the Av's got to playoffs without Kemper at times.

Off season who has to go Kakko, Strome, Rooney, Georgiev, Hunt, Braun and Nemeth. Blais coming back could fill in the 3rd or 4th line, with some stronger roster additions (depending on cap space) the team will look a little different at the beginning of the season and we will be back in the Eastern Conference final

Unrestricted free agents should sign Copp and Vatrano as I would like to see how well Copp does for a full season here. Copp may be to expensive to keep but make it work. Restricted free agents Keep Blais and Gauthier. 

Could the team afford Johnny Hockey , Dump Panaran or add Johnny and keep both?????????????? - Due you really keep Reaves as did he add anything to this team?

Diamond in the rough maybe dump Georgiev for Blues Free agent Lindgren only 750,000

I honestly think that Fox is still hurt from the injury that sidelined him around the all star break.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's having some kind of surgery in the next few days.

47 minutes ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

Could the team afford Johnny Hockey , Dump Panaran or add Johnny and keep both?????????????? - Due you really keep Reaves as he did not add anything to this team?

90 pt lw's don't grow on trees but yes Panarin had an underwhelming playoffs but we don't get there without him

Kakko is not a spoiled brat like Anderson and by all accounts is a hard working likable young player.Why dump him now?

1 hour ago, Dr. Jimmy said:

I honestly think that Fox is still hurt from the injury that sidelined him around the all star break.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he's having some kind of surgery in the next few days.

I think we are going to hear about a lot of guys that are hurt. I think Panarin is hurt, he wasn’t that strong player on the puck like we are used to seeing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

WTF???? This is why GG got outcoached. Strome gave you enough? Stamkos blew by him on the 1st goal. He didn’t hurt us? Look at the previous sentence. 

We know what he means. Dressing Strome isn't the reason they lost, plenty of other guys didn't show up. 

That said, it doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible decision and you can see by all of his non-answers when the media questions his decisions why he doesn't last anywhere. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, siddious said:

I think out-coached is being thrown around a bit too liberally here. 

strome is a superior player to Kakko at this stage and hurt or not you put your best top 6 team in for an elimination game. They clearly needed some fresh legs. He took a gamble and it didn’t really pay off. If he did nothing the argument would be that he didn’t adjust. 

In the end I think this team was just too tired to go into that extra gear. You can’t put that all on gallant. 

This.

They played two grueling 7 game series, with there backs to the wall before having to face the two time Stanley Cup Champion. They hit a wall, and it showed.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:59 PM, siddious said:

I think out-coached is being thrown around a bit too liberally here. 

I think so too. 

That's not to say Gallant didn't make bad decisions, or coached flawlessly in game, or was able to adapt in ways that made a discernible difference. 

But this isn't the NFL, and it's a fine line between being outcoached and the players being out executed. It should surprise no-one that a team full of grizzled veterans, where the core have all played under Cooper for years and won two cups together out executed the youngest team in the league under a coach in his first season. The Rangers one shot to beat the Lightning was relying on their speed and talent, and they just ran out of legs against a team that refuses to lose. 

Now Gallant will never be Trotz, and you could certainly argue that his "let the boys play" approach is setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment in the playoffs. But the guy has taken a Vegas team full of castoffs to the finals and now the youngest team in the league made the ECF's. Whatever you think of his coaching methods, he's got something going for him. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

7 hours ago, Pete said:

We know what he means. Dressing Strome isn't the reason they lost, plenty of other guys didn't show up. 

That said, it doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible decision and you can see by all of his non-answers when the media questions his decisions why he doesn't last anywhere. 

Yup. I'm not sure what else people are expecting from him. The man has been loyal to his players all season. He's not going to come out now and throw one of them under the bus.

Secondly, he's a hell of an instinctive coach. Maybe too instinctive. But isn't that what most people wanted after Quinn? Obviously such an approach has it's pros and cons. He's not going to get it right as often as some of the more well rounded coaches in the league, but for better or for worse the team in general seems to love him and will move mountains for him. So after everyone that was criticizing Quinn for his weaknesses, can't come in here and criticize Turk for the opposite traits. Can't have it all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karan said:

Yup. I'm not sure what else people are expecting from him. The man has been loyal to his players all season. He's not going to come out now and throw one of them under the bus.

Secondly, he's a hell of an instinctive coach. Maybe too instinctive. But isn't that what most people wanted after Quinn? Obviously such an approach has it's pros and cons. He's not going to get it right as often as some of the more well rounded coaches in the league, but for better or for worse the team in general seems to love him and will move mountains for him. So after everyone that was criticizing Quinn for his weaknesses, can't come in here and criticize Turk for the opposite traits. Can't have it all. 

I think where he falls flat for me is that he doesn't just admit that he made a mistake. I would much rather somebody own their decision and say "I went with my gut and made the best decision I could with the information I had, but if I had it to do over again I might do it differently."

He just insists that it was the right decision regardless of the outcome. 

• Like 2

I definitely do not agree with all his decisions, but big picture, if you had told me that his first season as coach, we'd be one of the last 3 remaining teams, I would have said he definitely did a great job.

Players like playing for him. I think in game, he sometimes gets out-maneuvered by opposing coaches (specifically thinking about Sullivan in Round 1, which, Sully is a great coach too, it happens) but maybe this group, or at least certain players, need less X's and O's and more motivation/freedom to make mistakes and not be killed for it.

No shot in hell Gallant is not our coach next season though. 

Love Gallant...I would've loved to play for a coach like him.  I think he's knows more X's and O's than a lot of folks think, but like @BlairBettsBlocksEverything BBB said, this team most likely responds better to less of that shit, and more to, "go out, work hard and play our game" type mentality.

The guy's a solid coach in my opinion....Best we've had since Keenan!

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I definitely do not agree with all his decisions, but big picture, if you had told me that his first season as coach, we'd be one of the last 3 remaining teams, I would have said he definitely did a great job.

Players like playing for him. I think in game, he sometimes gets out-maneuvered by opposing coaches (specifically thinking about Sullivan in Round 1, which, Sully is a great coach too, it happens) but maybe this group, or at least certain players, need less X's and O's and more motivation/freedom to make mistakes and not be killed for it.

No shot in hell Gallant is not our coach next season though. 

I mean that goes without saying, but I'm also no longer shocked that he's taken a cab home from a game after getting canned LOL.

• LOL 2
  • LMFAO 1

Gallant was let go from the Knights because the owner wanted DeBoer all along.  Only thing that stopped him at the start of the franchise was that DeBoer was under contract with San Jose, but as soon as he was let go there, the Knights swooped in to get their man.  The losing streak was a convenient excuse to can Gallant.  DeBoer came in and fucked up the roster so bad that the Knights had no choice to let him go.  Had they kept Fleury, they would have won a few more games and made the playoffs again.  But, they fucked that up all to hell.  Best thing about it, is I haven't heard squat form Knights fans since the season ended.

I would rather have Gallant any day of the week over DeBoer.

• Keeps it 100 1

27 minutes ago, VegasRanger said:

Gallant was let go from the Knights because the owner wanted DeBoer all along.  Only thing that stopped him at the start of the franchise was that DeBoer was under contract with San Jose, but as soon as he was let go there, the Knights swooped in to get their man.  The losing streak was a convenient excuse to can Gallant.  DeBoer came in and fucked up the roster so bad that the Knights had no choice to let him go.  Had they kept Fleury, they would have won a few more games and made the playoffs again.  But, they fucked that up all to hell.  Best thing about it, is I haven't heard squat form Knights fans since the season ended.

I would rather have Gallant any day of the week over DeBoer.

And yet that wasn't the only time he got fired after what most would consider successful tenures with his team. 

Edited by Pete

4 hours ago, VegasRanger said:

Every coach gets fired.  Not always on them.

And a lot of times it is. 

He's got a well-known reputation as a stubborn person who doesn't want to explain himself to anybody. In the world of sports, that gets old quick. 

The guy has never made it three full seasons behind the bench. Even Torts has had longer tenures almost everywhere he's been.

There's a reason for that. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, Blueshirts1926 said:

I agree with your overall sentiment about GG. but here's where I'm not with ya

kakko is not a pussy, he's working hard. Our perception of him is a product of his draft position. If he was taken 3-4 picks later and not sent right into the league, we would be encouraged with some steady growth. His potential/ceiling is WAY higher than Anderson's ever was. If Anderson got benched in that game, he would've thrown a public hissy fit. Kakko just accepted it and wants to come back better.

as for Bread, it's one underperming playoff showing, not a trend yet. When players of that caliber are dealt, you don't get equal production back. You at best get several parts that you have to Pray come close to equaling his production. Quantity does not equal quality. And teams aren't gonna do a 1 for 1 with another big time player

Fox, like the rest of the team, I think was just playing banged up/exhausted. If we don't get that would've been winning goal in game 1 against Pitt taken off for the bullshit Goalie Interference (a GREAT play by Kakko I'll add) and close that series out earlier, and players got even a little bit of a break, I think we would've looked a lot different.

If Braun comes back on a reasonably cheap deal I'd keep him. He was steady. We need a steady vet (was supposed to be Nemeth) back there as the 6th-7th guy

• Bullseye 1

I was listening to Friedman and Marek talking about how they were shocked that the Kakko decision seemed to wipe away all the goodwill Gallant had earned during the season. And I can see where they're coming from; the team has overachieved without question, and Gallant certainly gets a lot of credit for that. Even if a lot of the success was down to Igor and the PP. I think there's a world where you can say that, overall, he did a fine job this season and simultaneously pan him for that decision.

Because let's be clear; that was an absolute Patrik Nemeth of a decision.

Not sure the GG never admits to making mistakes is accurate. I believe during his last presser he did in fact say he made mistakes this year and could be better and it was a learning year for all. ( not his exact words, but definitely the point he was making I believe maybe to Molly?). He didn't obviously view the Kakko scratch/Strome deal as one of them. One coach walks away every year not being questioned much if at all. Ours got a team well beyond expectations even while making some mistakes along the way. 

I hope management and the coaching staff really takes a critical look at this team's performance this season and doesn't just pat themselves on the back for over-achieving. They got caved in pretty much every game of the regular season (sans the last ~15 games) and got caved even harder  in the playoffs. Their defensive performance against Pittsburgh was downright embarrassing. They got totally exposed and quite frankly got lucky Pittsburgh's best player, who was simply owning them every time he stepped on the ice, wasn't 100% healthy for the latter part of the series. They slightly improved as the playoffs went on, but at the cost of offensive production - and eventually that killed them.

I highly doubt the strategy for this team was, "Give up tons of grade A chances, and have Igor bail us out," but that's basically what it turned into on a nightly basis. So hopefully they're asking themselves, "Why did we have to lean so heavily on Igor?" 

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1