• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller's #30 Next Year

Pete

• Phil changed the title to Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller's #30 Next Year

I blame those dreadful last few seasons he spent there, but I had no idea he had blown by Hasek in starts and wins to be the franchise leader in both. Well-deserved (even though I still hate jersey retirements).

Used to be every kid got a trophy, now, every kid gets his jersey retired.

With the significance of getting your jersey retired being devalued, teams are having to create a new level of honor above jersey retirement, the statute, like the one the Mets did for Tom Seaver.

25 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

With the significance of getting your jersey retired being devalued, teams are having to create a new level of honor above jersey retirement, the statute, like the one the Mets did for Tom Seaver.

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

11 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I thought the same until I realized he leads the franchise in like every goalie stat by a mile. Jersey retirement is a stupid concept, but this is justified.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I thought the same until I realized he leads the franchise in like every goalie stat by a mile. Jersey retirement is a stupid concept, but this is justified.

How about this as a general benchmark for jersey retirements: HOF player who played the majority of his career for your team.  You might make a special exception for a Messier, who was central to breaking the cup hex and was the teams only Hart winner in over 60 years.  Graves, Richter and Hadfield?  I love you all, but sorry.

I doubt Miller is HOF bound.

4 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

How about this as a general benchmark for jersey retirements: HOF player who played the majority of his career for your team.  You might make a special exception for a Messier, who was central to breaking the cup hex and was the teams only Hart winner in over 60 years.  Graves, Richter and Hadfield?  I love you all, but sorry.

I doubt Miller is HOF bound.

Jersey retirements are for teams. Not the league. If they feel the player meant that much to them, why shouldn't they honor them however they see fit?

58 minutes ago, Phil said:

Jersey retirements are for teams. Not the league. If they feel the player meant that much to them, why shouldn't they honor them however they see fit?

Who cares what other teams do? I'm sure outsiders laugh at some of the ones we have hanging.  There will never be a standard accepted by all teams. Some teams do it way more than others.

What's more questionable to me is the Sabres taking injured and I believe essentially retired Ben Bishop off the Stars hands yesterday with a cap ~5M for the upcoming season. That desperate to hit the floor? 

On 6/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, jsrangers said:

Who cares what other teams do? I'm sure outsiders laugh at some of the ones we have hanging.  There will never be a standard accepted by all teams. Some teams do it way more than others.

What's more questionable to me is the Sabres taking injured and I believe essentially retired Ben Bishop off the Stars hands yesterday with a cap ~5M for the upcoming season. That desperate to hit the floor? 

They were 20 mil under the floor

On 6/10/2022 at 8:53 PM, Sod16 said:

Players that mean a lot to an organization and to their fans deserve the right to be honored. Who gives a fuck. Sabres fans are gonna be thrilled to go to that game. He was a very good goalie for them and he deserves to go down in Sabres-lore. 

i dont get why people have a problem with jersey retirements.