• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Only Thing Anyone Should Really Be Upset With in This Series Is Brendan Smith

Valriera

Title, but this ultimately is just a showcase for how absolutely terrible that decision was, and it was at the time it was made too. This is not the mcdonagh trade, or the buchnevich trade, or the deangelo situation. We literally waived Brendan smith to pay nemeth four times as much to not dress for games. Worst management decision in a very very long time 

Not saying they are related in that way.  More so that GMs don't have a crystal ball and role players have ebbs and flows in performance. 

Smith only dressed in 45 regular seasons games.  He's playing like 12 minutes a night in the playoffs.  I don't think swapping Nemeth for Smith makes a difference for the Rangers here.

If smith played the way he did the other night, on a consistent basis as a ranger - he would still be a ranger. But he didn’t. He’s been scratched a chunk of this season for Carolina too if I remember correctly it’s not like he went on to have a fabulous career. We have to stop doing this anytime a former ranger has success. 

the rangers replacing him with hot garbage is a separate issue. 

Smith should NOT be in NY. That talk is silly. 

Nemeth is completely separate and has nothing to do with smith.

smith still sucks. The problem being this team is full of pussies, he knows it. 

You don’t deserve to win if Brendan Smith is the X factor. That simple. 

It's infuriating that he should be getting regular minutes for a first place team, let alone causing problems for us in the playoffs.  This is a guy who was sent to the minors and only kept around because his contract was not moveable.  For a long period thereafter, he was deemed unsuitable as a 3rd unit defenseman and was inserted on a bad 4th line as a forward.  Finally, he got spot duty as a D man until his contract was mercifully over.  And now we have to deal with him playing pretty well against us in the playoffs.  As if he has any right to an axe to grind with us!

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Smith and Fast, when you saw what Carolina gave them, mind boggling why they were allowed to walk.

This. It should bother us that Smith and Fast combined make $300K more than Nemeth and we somehow conned ourselves out of that level of cap efficiency

• Keeps it 100 2

20 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  Wasn't too long ago everyone hated the Smith signing and he was in Hartford because he was garbage.

Sure but he grew into a trusted seventh defenseman and was the guy to fight Wilson after Panarin. If they were moving on, fine, but they did so to sign Nemeth. There's no squaring that.

Decide Jamie Dornan GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

The Smith in NY story is a funny one.

"two 2nds is an overpayment for him"
"Wow he had a really good playoffs, we should sign him"
"Wow, that was an overpayment"
"Holy shit, what's up with this fat bastard??"
"Well, he's not as useless as he used to be"
"Nice, he fought Wilson."
"He's a meeh player, don't really care if he's here or not next season"
"WE MISS SMIIITH😭"

Serviceable player that stands up for his teammates. Not a good hockey player by any means and we have enough "hard to play against, but also hard to watch" players. Couldn't care less about Smith. Fast stings a little bit, but that's years ago now and he's a bottom 6'er.

Fuck Smith and fuck Carolina.

• Bullseye 2
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Applause 1

I know he had a shorty the other night that basically won the game for Carolina, and him vs Nemeth, I’d take Smith. But, he plays 12 minutes a night. 

It’s only really a loss in the context of Nemeth. Otherwise no one would really care. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Sure but he grew into a trusted seventh defenseman and was the guy to fight Wilson after Panarin. If they were moving on, fine, but they did so to sign Nemeth. There's no squaring that.

Decide Jamie Dornan GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Okay, but no one expected Nemeth to have this rough of a year.  With COVID and the complicated pregnancy I can cut Nemeth slack.  For all we know Nemeth will rebound next year just like Smith did.

13 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Okay, but no one expected Nemeth to have this rough of a year.  With COVID and the complicated pregnancy I can cut Nemeth slack.  For all we know Nemeth will rebound next year just like Smith did.

For Arizona, maybe.

• VINNY! 1

I think there's too much roster "traffic" on defense for Nemeth to stick around after this season.  We have guys coming up, and I don't think he's a solution to anything going forward.  I was wrong about Nemeth.  I thought he would be a stable compliment to Schneider.  ...Turns out he's been more of a detriment, unfortunately.

I'm glad his situation has improved and he's back to normal, somewhat....but yeah, I think he's going to be dealt for some cap relief.

17 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I don't understand how they could not sign Fast at 1.5 per for three years.  It looked ridiculous then and still does now.

Panarin had his best season with him on the wing

played great D, dug pucks and some scoring prowess

8 hours ago, Long live the King said:

While this is true, Nemeth was never worth that contract or trade protection. 

• Keeps it 100 1