• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Is the 'Major Change' to Toronto This Summer?

Phil

• Phil changed the title to What Is the 'Major Change' to Toronto This Summer?
7 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Maurice? With Trotz available? 

My bet: Dubas out. 

That roster + Trotz makes no sense whatsoever. They don't need any more help not being able to find late goals.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the GM or the coach. Both are quite good. I just don't know how you make a viable trade that doesn't make you objectively worse.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

That roster + Trotz makes no sense whatsoever. They don't need any more help not being able to find late goals.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the GM or the coach. Both are quite good. I just don't know how you make a viable trade that doesn't make you objectively worse.

Marner would fetch a ton. They have three $11M forwards. It hasn't worked...though to be fair, this is a really tough year in the East to overreact to a series loss. Drawing the back-to-back champs is rough.

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Marner would fetch a ton. They have three $11M forwards. It hasn't worked...though to be fair, this is a really tough year in the East to overreact to a series loss. Drawing the back-to-back champs is rough.

Marner had a series where he mostly stayed outside. Regular season production isn't to be discounted; he is talented. But at a loss who's paying big assets off this.

Trotz or Torts; need a jolt to change things.

19 hours ago, Phil said:

Dubas drafted Marner as his first task (gimme pick). It’s been mostly fluff since then, as made obvious every season. 

Toronto has had some bad first round losses, but it's hard to put this one up there with some of them. Tampa is a tough draw, two time defending champions and they just know how to win and close things out. Still a tough loss for the Maple Leafs, though, since they were up 3-2 and a had chance to close it out in overtime in game six.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is probably the iteration of the team that they should think about keeping together, however all the frustration of the first round exits is probably going to be taken out on this group. 

Agreed. Somehow, their cap situation isn't dire, either. Probably lose someone, but they could shuffle deck to keep Mikhayev.

Campbell may be tough to keep.

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Agreed. Somehow, their cap situation isn't dire, either. Probably lose someone, but they could shuffle deck to keep Mikhayev.

Campbell may be tough to keep.

Campbell is in the same position as Strome... They love playing for their team, this is the team that put them on the map, so if you want to stay here you are just going to have to take less. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This is probably the iteration of the team that they should think about keeping together, however all the frustration of the first round exits is probably going to be taken out on this group. 

I feel like the market demanded a greater sacrifice last year. Seeing the reactions of fans since this loss, there doesn't appear to be a huge desire to lob someone's head off like there was after the first-round loss a year ago. And for good reason: this team played hard. If you look back at the regular season + playoffs, it basically went Leafs-Lightning-Leafs-Lightning-Leafs-Lightning, tit-for-tat for like ten straigtht games. Leafs then lost an incredibly close game seven.

If it were me, personally, I wouldn't change anything. I'd invite Spezza to coach and let go of all the greybeards. Give Robertson all the leash he needs to be a regular, and run it back with a more youthful fourth line. Mikheyev likely leaves in free agency, they keep Campbell, and you just go again.

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, josh said:

They won’t touch Bertuzzi with the Covid stuff around.

The bigger issue with him isn't vaccination, it's whether or not he can cross the border to play games. When you play for Detroit, and there's nothing to play for, it doesn't matter. The Leafs can't afford to have him miss like 30+ games a year.

• Keeps it 100 1

I'm honestly out of touch with Canada's policies these days. Is vaccination status still a major factor in border crossing with the quarantine time required? If so, this is dead in the water until it isn't, but I think it's the right idea. Friedman said he thinks they need a "hockey asshole" in their top-six. Tom Wilson, basically, except not Wilson, because the Caps won't trade him.