• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesty Tiring?

Sod16

He played 14 more games in the regular season than his previous tops.  I'd say in the last quarter of the year he was more just excellent compared to superhuman.  Don't want to nit pick, but we're still not seeing vintage Sheshty in this series.  I think vintage Sheshty holds that puck on the first goal tonight and comes up with a big stop on the breakaway.  

Nothing to do about it at the moment, but I think it underscores the need for a second 25-30 start goalie of Raanta/Talbot quality, which won't come at 1 mil per, as opposed to the cap friendly pylons that Tampa is able to employ behind workhorse Vas.

Ok, maybe we can do something about it.  How about Keith Richards style blood packing tomorrow with Hank as the donor?

I think a lot of people are not giving enough credit to the fact that Malkin was on the breakaway and picked his spot to shoot at after seeing what Shesterkin left open.  It wasn't Gauthier on the breakaway.   Malkin probably scores on almost any goalie in that situation.  Blame Trouba for a piss poor decision, not Shesterkin who carried this team more than half the season.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

He's definitely laboring and fighting almost every shot. I'd say he's not used to the workload of a long season, but it's not like Gallant over worked him. Then again he didn't play a whole season last year or year prior. Maybe it is the workload. 

With practically every series going to 7 fames, it would have been nice to get this series over with and gotten everyone time to rest and heal. Copp isn't 100%  Lindgren is Lindgren. Panarin got hurt prior to playoffs like Copp. Now we have Shestyorkin battling fatigue and a confidence problem.  

• Like 1

The biggest thing is that hes not making that save when the rangers absolutely need it. Too many times have the rangers gone up and let the pens come back into the game. Im not BLAMING him because its not his fault, its the teams..  but during the season he was making those saves (hence the vezina). In the playoffs hes not.

Im not overly worried about him touhg

• Like 1

• Phil changed the title to Shesty Tiring?
8 minutes ago, siddious said:

The biggest thing is that hes not making that save when the rangers absolutely need it. Too many times have the rangers gone up and let the pens come back into the game. Im not BLAMING him because its not his fault, its the teams..  but during the season he was making those saves (hence the vezina). In the playoffs hes not.

Im not overly worried about him touhg

Let's not forget Richter had some tough times in the playoffs early in his career.  Lundkvist was good for some soft ones. I'm hoping Shestyorkin is going through HIS rough patch and puts it together. It's odd for a Rangers team to not be dependent on great goaltending.  The kid is really good. He'll snap out of it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't think he's tired as much as he's just getting exposed by swiss cheese defense that doesn't limit chances at all.

I half agree. Yes they are hanging him out to dry. Pens are getting a lot of uncontested shots as if it were practice.

The bad part is, uncontested shots and wide open shots from where a bunch have gone in should still be stopped. Some. Not all. He's just getting beat on some shots he shouldn't be. 

Defensively the Rangers have been awful. The whole team isn't keeping their legs moving. Gliding, being flat footed, and not interested in having anyone clear/ cover a man infront of the crease. Lots of weak, long distance, stick checking. It's not working and to do that in the playoffs is embarrassing. 

With that said. Shestyorkin has to be better than he has been. If they get out of this series alive,  I think he gets back to being the elite goalie he is, and starts stealing games.  He's gonna have to. The Rangers won't live long with the way they are playing and the competition is only going to be bigger and tougher. 

Edited by The Dude

In a vacuum, yea it's Malkin and it's a breakaway.

In context at that point of the game you need a big stop from your Vezina / Hart nominee, and frankly you expect it.

Shesty has been hung out to dry all year long and performed. This isn't new. His play is not up to par.

He has more to give and I think he will. I predict a G7 win and a more confident Shesty in R2. 

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

5 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm not sure what goal is on Shesterkin last night?

The 4th rebound shot?

One Timer on a cross ice pass?

Clear cut breakaway from a sure fire hall of famer?

He's not tired as much as the Rangers defense is playing poorly.

All stopable. 4 rebounds.  Well 4 rebounds?

Cross ice was labeled/ predictable and from pretty far out. Not like it was on his doorstep. That thing was seriously CROSS ICE. 

Breakaway is tough. Needed something to shit the door and put a stop on the crouds jeers.

He's been pretty vad all series though. Let's not forget the other 5 games. Not up to his own standards. 

Can’t say I agree.  I don’t think Shesterkin has been bad this series.  He hasn’t been other worldly, but he hasn’t been bad.  The Rangers play in front of him has been bad.  Shesterkin doesn’t worry me at all. The play of Panarin I think is way more of a concern.