• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Looking Ahead

Just took a look at the schedule...

10 of last 14 are at MSG. 

4 road games:  @Islanders, @Devils, @Flyers, and @Boston - So really not much travel left

Currently: 3 Points ahead of Pittsburgh, 3 points behind Carolina

Can't overlook anyone or assume anything, but the way this team is playing right now, seems like a real opportunity here to finish strong.  At the same time, should be a good opportunity for some home cooking, get some rest and prepare for the playoffs.

So, some questions I'm considering:

Where do we see this team finishing in the standings?

Any playoff matchup more preferable than any other?  

How important is home ice in the playoffs?

This is suddenly turning into a pretty special season, great opportunity these next few months...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

Just took a look at the schedule...

10 of last 14 are at MSG. 

4 road games:  @Islanders, @Devils, @Flyers, and @Boston - So really not much travel left

Currently: 3 Points ahead of Pittsburgh, 3 points behind Carolina

Can't overlook anyone or assume anything, but the way this team is playing right now, seems like a real opportunity here to finish strong.  At the same time, should be a good opportunity for some home cooking, get some rest and prepare for the playoffs.

So, some questions I'm considering:

This is suddenly turning into a pretty special season, great opportunity these next few months...

How many Kreider home jerseys will be worn at Home Game 1 in the playoffs?  and what percentage of Kreider jerseys will be male vs. female?  

2nd - 115 points

No, I think they can beat any team in the division.

I think it's pretty important. They play really well at home, so I'd prefer to have that extra game at home. I know people say it only matters in a Game 7, but a) no, there are other reasons you'd want home ice b) I don't see this team winning any series in less than 6, so having that game 7 at home would be nice. 

• Keeps it 100 1

The first series is against Pittsburgh. I usually don’t care about home ice advantage, but I think you want it for this series. It could be the last Hoorah for the Pens core, and we don’t need to be playing against the refs/league. 

I don’t think they catch Carolina.

I think they finish second and play Pittsburgh.

Only Carolina really scares me. They’ve looked awful against them this year. But it’ll be interesting to see how much difference the new additions they’ve  made actually make.

Theyve had good results this year vs Florida, Toronto, Tampa, and Pittsburgh. 

Home Ice can’t hurt. But it’s not an absolute imperative . 

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t think they catch Carolina.

I think they finish second and play Pittsburgh.

Only Carolina really scares me. They’ve looked awful against them this year. But it’ll be interesting to see how much difference the new additions they’ve  made actually make.

Theyve had good results this year vs Florida, Toronto, Tampa, and Pittsburgh. 

Home Ice can’t hurt. But it’s not an absolute imperative . 

Luck of the draw more than anything. Rangers played poorly the first game, no doubt, but it’s one game. The second game they were completely gassed from the Tampa game the night before. Both were also in Carolina. It’s not a trend yet.

I think the games at the Garden with Igor in net will be very different looking, especially if the first seed is up for grabs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Luck of the draw more than anything. Rangers played poorly the first game, no doubt, but it’s one game. The second game they were completely gassed from the Tampa game the night before. Both were also in Carolina. It’s not a trend yet.

I think the games at the Garden with Igor in net will be very different looking, especially if the first seed is up for grabs.

Putting it into context, yes, I agree. 
And look, the lack of depth that they put out there in those games is a huge factor too. But still, they got throttled in both games, other reasons aside. 

But to your point, yes, these last 2 vs Carolina I think give a better indication.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

No, maybe not, but small sample size withstanding, what we've seen hasn't been encouraging. I'd much rather play the Penguins, who they've actually dominated for large stretches during the regular season. Let someone else deal with Carolina and hope for a first-round upset.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, maybe not, but small sample size withstanding, what we've seen hasn't been encouraging. I'd much rather play the Penguins, who they've actually dominated for large stretches during the regular season. Let someone else deal with Carolina and hope for a first-round upset.

For sure, I definitely wouldn’t want to play Carolina first round. I was just saying I think we can beat them at the Garden and challenge for the 1 seed in the Metro.

I guess that would probably line us up against one of Tampa/Toronto/Boston. Tampa would be a worse matchup than Pittsburgh. Closer with the other two, maybe worse lol. East is loaded sigh. But we’d be guaranteed home ice for the first two rounds and the ECF against anyone but Florida.

Edited by rmc51

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

For sure, I definitely wouldn’t want to play Carolina first round. I was just saying I think we can beat them at the Garden and challenge for the 1 seed in the Metro.

I guess that would probably line us up against one of Tampa/Toronto/Boston. Tampa would be a worse matchup than Pittsburgh. Closer with the other two, maybe worse lol. East is loaded sigh. But we’d be guaranteed home ice for the first two rounds and the ECF against anyone but Florida.

Right. I think they can beat Carolina, too. I think they will beat Pittsburgh, so I want to play Pittsburgh.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Assuming the team that plays well shows up, and shows up consistently, with the added depth I think they can take anyone including Tampa and Colorado.

Pittsburgh I think is beatable. Carolina scares me I think they might actually be the best team in the league. 

I hope they have home ice vs the pens. I think that's the best chance they have at moving on to the second round. Personally, I don't really want to play Boston or Washington, so if they can maintain where they're at for the next few weeks, I'll be thrilled. 

Hopefully they don't have to cross paths with the Canes at any point. Or if they do, at least give the Canes a chance to get beat up by someone first.

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right. I think they can beat Carolina, too. I think they will beat Pittsburgh, so I want to play Pittsburgh.

Yeah def, but I don’t see a realistic scenario where the Canes play us in round 1. I don’t see Pitts catching Carolina to force a round 1 Canes vs Rangers matchup.

If there's one thing I've learned with watching this sport for however long, it's that the regular season doesn't mean shit in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh and Carolina are playoff tested and in Pittsburgh's case really battle hardened. Even with Florida not having as much experience, they were there last year. There are very few players on this team with that kind of experience. They will all be tough outs for us, each for a different reason.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

I really don't care who we play.  I'm just so happy they had the season that they're having.  This year has been such a great ride, and I'm sure you guys have waited to see progress like this for quite a while.

I think we can beat just about any team that comes our way. 

We have the X Factor: Igor!  We will go as far as he can take us!

The team still has 14 more games to gel with the players we recently brought in, and I have very high hopes we can make some noise this season.  As much as I would LOVE to win the Stanley Cup, I really would be fairly satisfied to win at least 1 round of the playoffs.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

If there's one thing I've learned with watching this sport for however long, it's that the regular season doesn't mean shit in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh and Carolina are playoff tested and in Pittsburgh's case really battle hardened. Even with Florida not having as much experience, they were there last year. There are very few players on this team with that kind of experience. They will all be tough outs for us, each for a different reason.

This is also true. Going into the "bubble playoffs," all we were talking about is how the Rangers "owned" the Canes in the regular season that year. They got snuffed out.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is also true. Going into the "bubble playoffs," all we were talking about is how the Rangers "owned" the Canes in the regular season that year. They got snuffed out.

The bubble playoffs were such an anomaly though. Obviously what you're saying is true, but I can't point to that and glean anything from it. 

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m actually nervous about the Pens. We are fooling ourselves if we think Crosby/Malkin/refs don’t have another gear that will absolutely show up in a playoff series.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

With 10 home games, we actually have a decent chance of catching Carolina, which would alter the playoff outlook considerably.

Eh, its possible but not likely.  Canes have a game in hand.  Plus besides playing the Rangers 2x, Col, Minnesota, every game they have is vs. teams below .500