• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Connor Brown

image.png

All you need to do is look at the game sheet on most nights to understand the value of Brown to the Senators lineup. Brown is averaging 20:20 of ice time per game this season, making him one of only 24 forwards in the entire NHL to average north of 20 minutes per night.

Brown is part of an even more exclusive club this season when you look at the list of forwards who are seeing at least two minutes per game on both special-teams units.

Goldman’s assessment of Brown’s game in her recent column was spot on:

The all-situation skater goes up against top competition in Ottawa and he does his best to disrupt opposing star players. Brown’s one of the best forecheckers on the Senators and stands out relative to the league at five-on-five with his disruptive play. Along with pressuring teams out of the defensive end, he brings the puck over the blue line and into the offensive zone at a high rate — and those entries often lead to scoring chances. He’s not the most frequent shooter, but a skilled passer who can set his teammates up with high-danger shot assists.

It’s uncanny how many times Brown makes the smart play with the puck. He’s a calming veteran presence on a roster that probably needs at least one more player of his stature in the top-nine. Watch any Senators game this season and you’ll quickly realize Brown’s importance to this squad.

The 28-year-old Brown is signed through next season with a very reasonable $3.6 million cap hit ($4 million in real dollars next season). And if the Senators wanted to pick up a small portion of that salary to make Brown even more palatable, they could probably increase the value on the trade return.

When New Jersey sent Coleman to Tampa Bay at the trade deadline in 2019, the forward still had another year left on his contract with a very reasonable $1.8 million cap hit. The Lightning were willing to give up a 2020 first-round pick and prospect Nolan Foote — himself a 2019 first-round draft pick. That’s two first-round assets New Jersey received for Coleman and paints a potential picture of what the Senators could receive if Brown was on the market.

So there is a clear argument to be made the Senators’ biggest area of weakness is at the right-wing position at this moment in time. Egor Sokolov is still probably a year away from being a full-time contributor at the NHL level. Tyler Boucher might be two years away in a best-case scenario. Help might be coming, but it’s a ways off. Austin Watson has cemented the role of fourth-line right winger, but doesn’t have the offensive touch to play a higher role.

If you trade Brown now — or before the start of next season — who is filling the spots of second- and third-line right wingers in Ottawa? If the Senators are sold on Colin White in one of those spots, they certainly haven’t tried using him there.

https://theathletic.com/3172060/2022/03/14/pierre-dorion-wants-his-phone-ringing-before-the-deadline-maybe-the-senators-should-dangle-connor-brown/?article_source=search&search_query=connor brown

The Senators Athletic beat writer released an articled yesterday pondering whether trading Connor Brown would be a sensible move for the Senators. I've been tossing around Brown's name for the last few weeks for reasons that I think the article articulates very well. 

I think Brown is someone that can either slot in on Panarin's line as a more talented "Jesper Fast-type" that they've been searching for. Alternatively, he could be played on the third line, along with Goodrow, in order to finally give the Rangers a third line that provides a consistent forecheck and two-way presence.

The cost of acquiring him won't be too cheap, but in my mind is worth it given what he could potentially provide especially as a two-year rental. Using the Coleman deal mentioned in the article as a model, we're probably looking at something like Kravtsov and a 1st or Kravtsov, Gauthier, 2nd. Ideally, you're getting Brown down to around a $2.5M and providing the Senators with some right wing options they could use. Kravtsov's value might totally be in the pits so maybe you have to tack on more (Robertson + 1st?) to Gauthier who's at least an NHLer...kind of. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

59 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Definitely worth getting, but not so sure the Senators will trade him.

There's some speculation that they'd be willing to move on. By the time they're ready, he'll be past his prime and they're never going to have him at higher value.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Sounds like exactly the player we need, but would need them to retain a lot.

If they can get him at 50% I think I would be fine with a 1st, Robertson, Gauthier.

Agreed. Gauthier being the throw-in here to give them a RW and pretend like him being Quebecois matters.

Panarin-Strome-Brown could be legit.

• Like 1

That line had been perfectly functional the last two years without a goal scorer on it. The downgrade from Fast to Blackwell to Hunt has limited its ability to perform. Brown is more talented than any of the aforementioned players while still providing the same type of game.

What goal scoring option is a more preferable target? Phil Kessel has 6 goals this season. That's 3 fewer than Brown's 9. Kessel also only has 3 more points in 15 more games. Rakell has 7 more goals than Brown but just 28 points on the season. Brown has outproduced him in both of the last two seasons. Those are the options being tossed around. Combine all of their goalscoring production over the last three seasons, Brown outscored both Kessel and Rakell. Are they better?

Neither are capable of providing Brown's grinding two-way game. You tried to use Brown's time on ice to disparage his production, but he gets as many minutes as he does because he plays 2:40 per game on the penalty kill in addition to even strength and power play minutes. He's a player heavily relied upon in all situations.

So what goal scoring option out there is more appropriate? Hertl? Cool. You get him for one season, still have to pay a bunch, and he'd be playing out of his natural position for his duration here. I'd rather pay for a player that can provide stability to either the second or third lines, and can be here for the next two seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Just now, lefty9 said:

We have a Premier Passer in the Breadman why not have a goal scorer on the other wing 

I'm with ya Lefty!  ...but I keep getting visions of Kessel over there....to me, it's a total  "why not?".  Pure shooter with Panarin???  Seems like a fit, especially as a rental!

He's not a Jesper Fast caliber player. He's a player of a similar mold of Jesper Fast. Fast never even hit 20 goals. Brown has twice. Brown paced 50 points last season and has a 60 point pace this season. Fast's career high was 33 points. Brown had more than that last season in 56 games. He has more than that this season in 45 games. Brown is more talented than Jesper Fast.

And why do you think that second line hasn't scored as well? Because the right wing on that line has gotten progressively worse. Fast was the perfect fit. Blackwell was a poor man's Fast. Hunt is a destitute man's Fast. If you're going to backfill that spot with consistently worse players then no duh it's gonna perform worse.

And what goal scoring wing? I asked you that. I've already discussed how Kessel and Rakell aren't even upgrades on Brown. Hertl isn't a wing, is expensive, and can't be retained. So what goal scoring options are out there? Instead of posing a hypothetical, provide a name.

11 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Not against brown ,just don't want to give up a lot for a Jasper  Fast caliber player .

And the second line hasn't  scored like they did in the past 

He's better than Jesper Fast tho.

Tampa gave up a 1st and a decent D prospect (Foote) for one and a half year of Coleman. Exactly the same deal (1st, Robertson and Gaut as throw-in) that's been suggested for one and a half year of Brown. I don't see that as an overpayment.

23 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

He's better than Jesper Fast tho.

Tampa gave up a 1st and a decent D prospect (Foote) for one and a half ear of Coleman. Exactly the same deal (1st, Robertson and Gaut as throw-in) that's been suggested for one and a half year of Brown. I don't see that as an overpayment

I do