• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Reportedly Re-Signs Jesperi Kotkaniemi to 8-Year Extension

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Very surprised Kotkaniemi signs this. He’s only 21. He can theoretically still get much better and he’s around a 35 point player playing 12 minutes a night. Could be some hell of a bargain 3 years from now.

Hockey's a fickle sport. He's not exactly lit it up, and he's being guaranteed around $34 million plus on-the-market at 30. It's a good move for him even if the term is quite long, and if he ends up being a hell of a bargain, he'll cash in on the next one. 

I'd also guess the Canes see this as more like "9 years, 40M". Not a bad decade.

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

Hockey's a fickle sport. He's not exactly lit it up, and he's being guaranteed around $34 million plus on-the-market at 30. It's a good move for him even if the term is quite long, and if he ends up being a hell of a bargain, he'll cash in on the next one. 

I'd also guess the Canes see this as more like "9 years, 40M". Not a bad decade.

All true but he’s also the third overall pick that had a 30 point season as an 18 year old rookie. I would have figured he would do that deal for 3-4 years rather than eight. Even if 3 years from now he’s a 25 year old 35 point player he still likely commands nearly the same money he will get anyway. I just see a less upside for him to sign that. Club wise it makes perfect sense lol 

From my view it’s a bad gamble by Carolina. They have a lot of things going for them, and this could be an absolute dead weight they won’t be able to get rid of if needed due to the length. Pretty risky. It could still work, but Kotkaniemi is hardly a guy you take that big a leap of faith on when you’ve got as much forward talent as the Canes already do.

Contrast this with what a currently non-competing team in the Devils did for Hughes, which was a good gamble for a team that could afford to take it. They would be fucked anyway if Hughes didn’t pan out. Not a lot of risk, really.

Edited by rmc51
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

I guess I’m just overrating him a bit. I don’t think he’s a game changer by any means but I think he’s just so young that at worst it’s probably an average contract a few years from now. 
   I wouldn’t be concerned as to what his point total in the last X amount of games on a deep team when he plays 12 minutes a night. It’s more about what he’s going to be 3 years from now in my mind. 

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I guess I’m just overrating him a bit. I don’t think he’s a game changer by any means but I think he’s just so young that at worst it’s probably an average contract a few years from now. 
   I wouldn’t be concerned as to what his point total in the last X amount of games on a deep team when he plays 12 minutes a night. It’s more about what he’s going to be 3 years from now in my mind. 

Jordan Staal without the freshman  season hype 

• VINNY! 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

For the next 3-4 years he's a 4th line center behind Aho, Trochek, and Staal. 

The only way he cracks the top nine is at wing. I guess they try and make that transition over the summer. 

Judging by Canes fans on Twitter and other forums it sounds like Trocheck is not staying after this season. Not sure why tho, it seems like they should have enough cap to re-sign him, but maybe they don't want to give a 29y/old a long-term contract? Necas needs a new contract, but they got Niederreiter's 5m coming off the books.

Man that Svechnikov deal is sexy. Signed for 7.7m to 2029.

21 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Judging by Canes fans on Twitter and other forums it sounds like Trocheck is not staying after this season. Not sure why tho, it seems like they should have enough cap to re-sign him, but maybe they don't want to give a 29y/old a long-term contract? Necas needs a new contract, but they got Niederreiter's 5m coming off the books.

Didn't realize Trochek was UFA. Maybe KK slides into that role...big shoes to fill. 

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Owner is notoriously frugal. If Trochek is asking for anything beyond whatever he thinks he's worth, that's why they expect him to leave. Happened with Hamilton, too.