• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Heavily Pursuing Potential Trade for J.T. Miller

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Seravelli: Rangers Heavily Pursuing Potential Trade for J.T. Miller

Vancouver needs RHD prospects, preferably a bigger, "stay at home" D since they have OEL and Hughes on the left side.

So maybe they've been showcasing Schneider? Schneider, 1st and a lesser prospect would probably get it done.

They don't really need Lundkvist cause of OEL and Hughes, same goes for Jones. We don't have any forward prospects (expect Krav) that has any value at this point, so I'm curious to see what we could offer here.

That said, I hope they pass on Miller. If they get him at 50% so they can keep Strome then maybe, but then again, Miller at 50% would be hella expensive to acquire...

11 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Vancouver needs RHD prospects, preferably a bigger, "stay at home" D since they have OEL and Hughes on the left side.

So maybe they've been showcasing Schneider? Schneider, 1st and a lesser prospect would probably get it done.

They don't really need Lundkvist cause of OEL and Hughes, same goes for Jones. We don't have any forward prospects (expect Krav) that has any value at this point, so I'm curious to see what we could offer here.

That said, I hope they pass on Miller. If they get him at 50% so they can keep Strome then maybe, but then again, Miller at 50% would be hella expensive to acquire...

Suspect Miller(LH) is gonna figure it out someday. He had that beautiful end to end goal. But that's been rare.  He's so far more inclined to stick check that use his body. Schneider(RH) right now , small sample, et al, is the guy I would keep. 

Edited by Bugg
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Suspect Miller(LH) is gonna figure it out someday. He had that beautiful end to end goal. But that's been rare.  He's so far more inclined to stick check that use his body. Schneider(RH) right now , small sample, et al, is the guy I would keep. 

The only problem with trading Miller right now is that it creates a big hole in the lineup. Our left side is already a bit shaky with only Lindgren/Miller/Nemeth

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

The only problem with trading Miller right now is that it creates a big hole in the lineup. Our left side is already a bit shaky with only Lindgren/Miller/Nemeth

Might require some D to play the "other" off side. No ideal but doable. Would probably keep Nemeth around on 3rd pair. 

Edited by Bugg

28 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

No way I'm moving Schneider.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

No way I'm moving Schneider.

Me neither, but I can see Vancouver saying "Schneider or no deal" and I could also see Drury fall for it. Have to remember that it was Gorton and co that moved up to draft him and that he's been with the A so far this season.

It all comes down to how much future Drury wanna sacrifice for this season. If we want a Miller/Hertl it will cost more than we want to give up.

Personally I hope they find a decent 3C for cheap (2nd/3rd+B prospect) and no more, but I can understand the temptation to use some of all that cap space we got this year.

44 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Me neither, but I can see Vancouver saying "Schneider or no deal" and I could also see Drury fall for it. Have to remember that it was Gorton and co that moved up to draft him and that he's been with the A so far this season.

It all comes down to how much future Drury wanna sacrifice for this season. If we want a Miller/Hertl it will cost more than we want to give up.

Personally I hope they find a decent 3C for cheap (2nd/3rd+B prospect) and no more, but I can understand the temptation to use some of all that cap space we got this year.

For me it would depend on where they're using Miller, 2RW or 3C. He adds something to the top six not currently there, but it doesn't address the real issue which is the bottom six lack of production. 

I don't see the point in using Miller at 3C at the cost it will take to acquire.

I also don't know what Drury "falling for it" means because Schneider is worth Miller, just not a player I want to trade. Drury is a smart guy. She was in the running for multiple GM positions and turned at least one of them down, he's not an idiot.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

For me it would depend on where they're using Miller, 2RW or 3C. He adds something to the top six not currently there, but it doesn't address the real issue which is the bottom six lack of production. 

I don't see the point in using Miller at 3C at the cost it will take to acquire.

I also don't know what Drury "falling for it" means because Schneider is worth Miller, just not a player I want to trade. Drury is a smart guy. She was in the running for multiple GM positions and turned at least one of them down, he's not an idiot.

Never said he was an idiot, nor did I imply that. I just meant that if he really wants Miller, and Vancouver says Schneider or no deal I could see Drury go for it. Not saying it would be a "mistake" or that he would be dumb to do it, just that I could see him doing it.

This team has two obvious "problems". It's a top 6 RW and 3rd line C. Miller could probably fill both spots (obviously just one at the time), but he would be overkill as a 3rd liner. Now is he the solution for the top 6 RW spot? I dunno.

21 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Never said he was an idiot, nor did I imply that. I just meant that if he really wants Miller, and Vancouver says Schneider or no deal I could see Drury go for it. Not saying it would be a "mistake" or that he would be dumb to do it, just that I could see him doing it.

This team has two obvious "problems". It's a top 6 RW and 3rd line C. Miller could probably fill both spots (obviously just one at the time), but he would be overkill as a 3rd liner. Now is he the solution for the top 6 RW spot? I dunno.

Oh my bad. When you say "fall for it", it sounds like he got tricked or something. 

Yea I can't see acquiring Miller for a 3C role. Making the top 6 better doesn't help the depth though. 

• Cheers 1

I just have a hard time seeing how we fit any player in a trade that is signed for next year. Unless the plan is to let Strome walk. Which I am not in favor of but if Miller is taking Strome's spot for one year I guess it makes sense. And if Chytil is going in that trade, you get to move Barron into a full time 3C role maybe.

I just dont see the math working here though, and I don't see them wanting Strome to walk

• VINNY! 1

I think it would be really great to have JT Miller, but I don't wanna have to give up Schneider.  I think that kid is going to be more of an answer to some issues on the blue line than anything.

I'm hoping with Vancouver on the outside looking in (playoff standings), maybe they would rather have a #2 draft pick coupled with some assets for JT....more like a re-tool, than a go-for-it strategy.

The options for forward are rental, or 3c at an appropriate cost, with or without retention, depending. Miller is not a rental, so it's going to need to come at some retention for the 1 year he has left, and I have a feeling there are better options on the market for that.

That said, Miller as a plan b for that spot is still pretty good and we have the assets needed to make a trade like that work, so it's not surprising to see it pursued. But I'm not interested in a strome for miller virtual swap if we don't get him at retention. No ty. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

This guy's not an insider. He doesn't know anything. 

I just thought it was funny.. and probably has a hint of truth to it.. 

And why when I post something from my iPad does it not imbed the tweet? really weird.. 

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The options for forward are rental, or 3c at an appropriate cost, with or without retention, depending. Miller is not a rental, so it's going to need to come at some retention for the 1 year he has left, and I have a feeling there are better options on the market for that.

That said, Miller as a plan b for that spot is still pretty good and we have the assets needed to make a trade like that work, so it's not surprising to see it pursued. But I'm not interested in a strome for miller virtual swap if we don't get him at retention. No ty. 

If the Rangers acquire JT Miller, the amount retained tells you everything you need to know about Ryan Strome's future with the club. There is a world where they view JT Miller as the Strome replacement and get nothing retained.

• Keeps it 100 2

6 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I just thought it was funny.. and probably has a hint of truth to it.. 

And why when I post something from my iPad does it not imbed the tweet? really weird.. 

Sometimes hitting enter or putting a hard return after the Twitter link embeds it quicker. 

Yeah, I think it's funny too that Servalli is saying they are after Miller and then a blogger says he doesn't think it's happening, really for no reason at all.... I trust Servalli over Mead. 

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

If the Rangers acquire JT Miller, the amount retained tells you everything you need to know about Ryan Strome's future with the club. There is a world where they view JT Miller as the Strome replacement and get nothing retained.

If this is the case, it makes sense to get Miller now to see how he does with Panarin. 

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I feel like, even with 50% retained, not that Vancouver should have any real interest in that given they need to re-sign Boesser and still fill out their lineup, we still can't fit Miller and Strome. 

But even if he's the replacement, he's only signed for one more year. Will we have caproom in 23-24 to resign him? If Strome can be re-signed for not much more than Miller is currently getting, you don't make this trade