• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kaapo Kakko Stinks

Phil

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

5 goals in 33 games. On pace for 12. Averaging 1.6 shots per game. Consistently playing in the top-six this year and on pace for fewer goals than his career average (13).

In fact, let's play a game:

Kaapo Kakko: 0.16 G/GP. 0.36 P/GP. 1.65 shots per game.
Player B: 0.18 G/GP. 0.33 P/GP. 1.57 shots per game.

Player B is a former Ranger.

Name player B.

In the meantime, I don't want to hear another word about his "200-foot game."

He likes left-over McDonalds fries though!  That works for me!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy

I'm still gonna give Kakko and Yukon the benefit of the doubt here.  I believe they're way too young to give up on.  I see talent in both of them, and what's more is that I don't see fear in their game like I feel in Chytil's game.

I have a sickening feeling that if I give up on either of these guys, I know damn well they're going to blossom big time, and I'm gonna wish we stayed the course.

They both have massive talent, and I just think they need to play more games and become men, in their minds and in their bodies.

I think @josh is right...we're gonna look back at this thread and kick ourselves or giggle a lot.

It's amazing that in back to back drafts the scouting community (not just the Rangers normally drunk scouting staff) have missed the boat on two straight "can't miss" types..  Kakko is about as exciting as slightly burnt piece of plain toast. Ed Sheeran is about as useful as a dick on a chicken.. 

As was previously stated.. Damn near all the kids are forgettable.. Miller is crap- I'm not sure he has the physicality to play guard in the NBA let alone top 4 D in the NHL.. Nils is uniform filler at this point.  I sure as hell hope Jones, Schneider and the rest of the guys not yet with the big club are worth a damn or this crop of young talent will have died on the vine.    

There is often talk of trading one of the young defensemen.  I think more of that talk should focus on Miller than it usually does, simply because he's been lauded enough to rate some big game in a trade while on closer inspection, there's good reason to suspect that he may plateau not too far from where he is now.  In sex and hockey, size isn't everything.

You can't wait forever on these guys.  You may get burned trading them, but keeping them for years on end forecloses doing other things with the lineup spot.  Case in point Chytil.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flynn said:

It's amazing that in back to back drafts the scouting community (not just the Rangers normally drunk scouting staff) have missed the boat on two straight "can't miss" types..  Kakko is about as exciting as slightly burnt piece of plain toast. Ed Sheeran is about as useful as a dick on a chicken.. 

As was previously stated.. Damn near all the kids are forgettable.. Miller is crap- I'm not sure he has the physicality to play guard in the NBA let alone top 4 D in the NHL.. Nils is uniform filler at this point.  I sure as hell hope Jones, Schneider and the rest of the guys not yet with the big club are worth a damn or this crop of young talent will have died on the vine.    

The on-ice visual product may not be what we expected, but it's not like many from either of those draft classes as done much. They're still both top producers from their classes.

• Like 1

So far it's like both of them are just going to be 'fine', which is not what you're hoping for when you were in the position the Rangers were the last couple of drafts. It was a big break for their rebuild, but because of this fact, it's pretty devastating for the franchise. I'm not saying everyone has to be a Malkin or McDavid from the one and two spots, but this has been really disappointing so far.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

So far it's like both of them are just going to be 'fine', which is not what you're hoping for when you were in the position the Rangers were the last couple of drafts. It was a big break for their rebuild, but because of this fact, it's pretty devastating for the franchise. I'm not saying everyone has to be a Malkin or McDavid from the one and two spots, but this has been really disappointing so far.

Imagine where we would be if they panned out like we hoped when they were drafted. Our rebuild has been AWESOME. Look at how this team is producing with the lack of production from these guys; definitely ahead where some of us thought going into this year. Figured we would have a .500 record and trying for a wild card. Right now, im pumped with this team. Shouldve kept Buch for the year though. We wouldve been a powerhouse. 

I've probably been one of his staunch defenders, but with the amount of top-6 minutes he's been getting, his production is disappointing. He's pacing 31 points, which would be a career high, but in year 3 as a 2OA is still lackluster. His 200-foot play is there. But he NEEDS to take the next step in offensive production. If he did, we wouldn't be having the 'stuttering offense' conversations, because we'd have him in addition to Zibanejad, Panarin, Strome, and Kreider. 

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Imagine where we would be if they panned out like we hoped when they were drafted. Our rebuild has been AWESOME. Look at how this team is producing with the lack of production from these guys; definitely ahead where some of us thought going into this year. Figured we would have a .500 record and trying for a wild card. Right now, im pumped with this team. Shouldve kept Buch for the year though. We wouldve been a powerhouse. 

Yeah, I mean I still like the team. I think they are still headed in the right direction and have a good foundation here. I know they're still young, but I've been bummed about them regardless. I am in no way giving up on them, though. They still need to get better in certain spots, but it's hard not to be excited nonetheless. They have character.

45 minutes ago, josh said:

The on-ice visual product may not be what we expected, but it's not like many from either of those draft classes as done much. They're still both top producers from their classes.

With the exception of Turcotte (who has only played four games so far) and Podkolzin (33 games), every other forward taken in the top-10 in Kakko's draft has outperformed him:

Kirby Dach (3) — 47 points, 118 games. 0.39 P/GP.
Dylan Cozens (7) — 28 points, 73 games. 0.38 P/GP.
Trevor Zegras (9) — 40 points, 57 games. 0.70 P/GP.

And that's not accounting for Bowen Byram (4) or Moritz Seider (6) yet because they're defensemen.

Lafreniere is also getting lapped:

Stutzle (3) has 44 points in 82 games. 0.53 P/GP. Raymond (4) has 30 in 37. 0.81 P/GP.

• Applause 1

9 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I've probably been one of his staunch defenders, but with the amount of top-6 minutes he's been getting, his production is disappointing. He's pacing 31 points, which would be a career high, but in year 3 as a 2OA is still lackluster. His 200-foot play is there. But he NEEDS to take the next step in offensive production. If he did, we wouldn't be having the 'stuttering offense' conversations, because we'd have him in addition to Zibanejad, Panarin, Strome, and Kreider. 

That's one way of putting it, sure. You can call it splitting hairs, but I'd say it's been devastating. Not getting exceptional value out of ELCs from high draft picks is a death sentence.

• VINNY! 1

One thing to remember is that Kakko and Lafreniere has gotten basically 0 PP time. All the other top 10 picks play PP1.

ES points this season:

Zibanejad 7g, 19p in 37 games
Strome 6g, 18p in 33 games
Kreider 9g, 15p in 37 games

Kakko 4g, 11p in 32 games
Lafreniere 8g, 11p in 37 games

Would be interesting to see ES P/60 for all of them.

No matter how good you are, putting up good numbers in your first season(s) without being put in the best situation possible is REALLY hard. I'm done with expecting anything from anyone that has not proven himself in the NHL yet, but a little bit of Ozzy's patience would serve us all well I think.

• VINNY! 2

6 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

One thing to remember is that Kakko and Lafreniere has gotten basically 0 PP time. All the other top 10 picks play PP1.

ES points this season:

Zibanejad 7g, 19p in 37 games
Strome 6g, 18p in 33 games
Kreider 9g, 15p in 37 games

Kakko 4g, 11p in 32 games
Lafreniere 8g, 11p in 37 games

Would be interesting to see ES P/60 for all of them.

No matter how good you are, putting up good numbers in your first season(s) without being put in the best situation possible is REALLY hard. I'm done with expecting anything from anyone that has not proven himself in the NHL yet, but a little bit of Ozzy's patience would serve us all well I think.

This is a chicken/egg-type scenario. "They weren't given PP time." Correct. Because they are utterly ineffective at even strength. PP time isn't given to unproductive players, it's given to those who produce, because they're most likely to convert on special teams. Especially on a team gunning for the playoffs.

Also:

• VINNY! 1