• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can McDavid Catch Gretzky?

Valriera

We see Ovi still going strong with a very real chance at Gretzky’s goal record, but is it possible for McDavid to reach the absolutely outrageous 1900+ points in 1450 or so games? He’s currently at 600 after 421 games which is very slightly off the pace percentage wise. Has there been anybody since with a fighting chance at it more than Jesus?

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

We see Ovi still going strong with a very real chance at Gretzky’s goal record, but is it possible for McDavid to reach the absolutely outrageous 1900+ points in 1450 or so games? He’s currently at 600 after 421 games which is very slightly off the pace percentage wise. Has there been anybody since with a fighting chance at it more than Jesus?

Mario was up there before injuries. A lot closer than McD. I don’t see any chance for McDavid to be honest. 
I think McD I has completed 6 years right and in year 7 now.

Gretz first 6 years in the league…

137, 164, 212, 196, 205, 208. He had 1122 points after 6 years which put him in HOF major company after 6 years in the league lol.  Gretzky had almost 3k points in his career. McJesus needs a few 300 point seasons at this point. 

Just to add, and not to make myself sound like an old crusty guy but these conversations……,

man

gretzky wasn’t just ahead of current players. He blitzed them so much that he is nearly future proof. He would need a freak of nature that not only has the skills but performs in a way we never have seen before like .Gretz did. 200 points was unheard of. For him to be best, we need another level of unheard of. 

5 hours ago, Keirik said:

Just to add, and not to make myself sound like an old crusty guy but these conversations……,

man

gretzky wasn’t just ahead of current players. He blitzed them so much that he is nearly future proof. He would need a freak of nature that not only has the skills but performs in a way we never have seen before like .Gretz did. 200 points was unheard of. For him to be best, we need another level of unheard of. 

It's not just the gap between Gretzky and and everyone else. I'm sure the gap between McDavid and others is just as wide, it's more the goaltending is just light years better as well. That's why we don't see 200 point seasons. Fuhr won a Vezina in '88 with a 3.41 GAA and .881 S%.

The year Gretzky had 92 goals he shot almost 25% and that wasn't even his best year shooting.

The goaltending is the difference, IMO. That's what makes Ovi so impressive. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

Mario was up there before injuries. A lot closer than McD. I don’t see any chance for McDavid to be honest. 
I think McD I has completed 6 years right and in year 7 now.

Gretz first 6 years in the league…

137, 164, 212, 196, 205, 208. He had 1122 points after 6 years which put him in HOF major company after 6 years in the league lol.  Gretzky had almost 3k points in his career. McJesus needs a few 300 point seasons at this point. 

This. The eras were so completely disproportionate. He has no chance. Gretzky's point totals will literally never fall. Ever. His goal total might.

Barring a massive change to the game (moving to Olympic ice, going to permanent 4v4 - something that drastic), nobody is catching Gretzky. That team was a machine in an era where scoring was stratospheric, goaltending was largely awful, and rules like the salary cap didn't hinder teams from maintaining large, talented groups. It can't be done today.

That said, it's really reasonable to think McDavid could be the second player to break the 2000 point mark. He's probably pacing to break 700 points this season and if he keeps going like this for the majority of his prime, he should be well past 1250 by the time he hits 30. 750 for a player of his caliber from, say, 30-40 is very, very doable.