• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Need More From Lafrenière, Kakko

Phil

5 hours ago, josh said:

Everyone said Lafreniere came to camp in better shape. I think he looks a but faster, quicker. Speed was never his game. And it won't be his game. His speed isn't an issue. He needs to be quicker with the puck. Still need him to a lefty that gets open for one timers, non stop. That will open up his entire game when that happens. 

You'd think Chytil would be a perfect fit, since he is commonly found at the right hand side of the goal mouth, or right in front. Maybe that combo needs to stew a little longer. 

8 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Asking the wrong guy I would move him. But he's also I think ~3 years younger so he does have that going for him.  I'm not sure you would find too many people that feel Gauthier and Kakko should be in the same sentence value wise so I don't quite get the comparison.

The comparison is the lesser prospect, is pacing the higher prospect, with less chances, yet he is deemed not worthy of being in the same sentence as Kakko. 

Some guys just need a chance. Kakko is getting a gigantic chance.  Gauthier hasn't, despite similar stats if you go by the numbers.. Give Gauthier 120 games, and I think he figures it out, or atleast produces as crappy as the all world talent whom shan't be sent to the minors. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You'd think Chytil would be a perfect fit, since he is commonly found at the right hand side of the goal mouth, or right in front. Maybe that combo needs to stew a little longer. 

You'd think, but Lafreniere needs a guy that works to get open, in scoring position. Chytil's not much of a thinker. He'll go to the net for those close chances and rebounds, but he's not a guy that lurks around the slot, or inside the dots, waiting to unload a one-timer.

3 hours ago, josh said:

You'd think, but Lafreniere needs a guy that works to get open, in scoring position. Chytil's not much of a thinker. He'll go to the net for those close chances and rebounds, but he's not a guy that lurks around the slot, or inside the dots, waiting to unload a one-timer.

Mehhh, hes kinda is like that. Definitely wanna sit on this combo. I love Blais, but I really want the trio of Lafreniere- Chytil- Gauthier to get another chance. They did a bit of everything last year in the short time together and I honestly think Gauthier is trying to adapt and change parts of his game to fit a Gallant style of play or big bodied players. 

6 hours ago, br-avery said:

Why would we send Laf down?Small sample size but he's got 3 goals and I already think he could have at least 5-6 goals. He's fine, he looks more comfortable than last year to me.

If anyone should go down its Chytil or Kakko ,they've produced absolutely nothing.

I was just responding to someone else. I wouldn’t send him down but he’s not impressing me much. I would send Chytil to another team right now if I could. I’m pretty much done with him.  I still think Kakko is helping the team right now. Maybe not on the score sheet yet but in other ways.

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I was just responding to someone else. I wouldn’t send him down but he’s not impressing me much. I would send Chytil to another team right now if I could. I’m pretty much done with him.  I still think Kakko is helping the team right now. Maybe not on the score sheet yet but in other ways.

I don't notice Kakko much at all,I want to give him a chance seeing as he missed some games with the injury but if he doesn't start to produce even a little, then move him down.

Hell Laf gets heat and he's scored 3 even strength goals, he's at least getting into the right places.Kakko almost looks timid playing with Panarin.

Laf annoys me because he looks so bad out there, but people wanting to get rid of Kakko are nuts.  

He was the best defensive forward in hockey last year at 19 years old and paced 15 goals over a full season.  He's gonna get better.  If a guy plays that well in his own end and in the neutral zone and scores 20 you take that all day long.  If a guy did that as a 27 year old an hit the open market we'd be talking about a $5-6 mil per year contract.  

If you're only acceptable expectation is some game breaking 40 goal scorer then he may not become that, but that doesn't mean you get rid of a guy who is a high quality piece for a contending team.

The path by which Kakko becomes a top notch player is pretty clear.  Not so much with LaF, and that's not simply a function have Kakko being around longer at this point.  There's nothing to do but play LaF and see, and that's what's happening.

Yes, with the time lavished on Chytil and Howden, Gauthier warrants a more extended look than he has every gotten in the NHL.

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

all the analytic sites ranked him among the top (not the best as was stated, but up there)

Thanks. This is good stuff.

So to cut through the hyperbole, this is also not a list of all forwards, this is a list of wingers...which is conspicuous because Mark Stone isn't on here and he was a Selke nominee. Where's Marchand?

Kakko is going to be great defensively and hopefully more than "good" offensively, so there's really no need to add grandiose comments when describing him. 

To be clear, he was not the best defensive forward in hockey last year. He was one of the top defensive wingers. Forwards would have to include Barkov, Couturier, Bergeron, Kopitar, etc.

11 hours ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Laf annoys me because he looks so bad out there, but people wanting to get rid of Kakko are nuts.  

He was the best defensive forward in hockey last year at 19 years old and paced 15 goals over a full season.  He's gonna get better.  If a guy plays that well in his own end and in the neutral zone and scores 20 you take that all day long.  If a guy did that as a 27 year old an hit the open market we'd be talking about a $5-6 mil per year contract.  

If you're only acceptable expectation is some game breaking 40 goal scorer then he may not become that, but that doesn't mean you get rid of a guy who is a high quality piece for a contending team.

Laf looks so bad? How?

I think people are upset cause he hasn't shown a lot of flashy moves or taken over games yet, it's simply too early for that. Maybe he never will be that but he's at least produced some offense and looks like he knows how to get to the right spots .

Kakko to me has shown nothing,Yes he's defensively responsible but If your playing with Panarin,you should be producing something offensively. Jesper Fast produced more offensively with Panarin than Kakko does.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Thanks. This is good stuff.

So to cut through the hyperbole, this is also not a list of all forwards, this is a list of wingers...which is conspicuous because Mark Stone isn't on here and he was a Selke nominee. Where's Marchand?

Kakko is going to be great defensively and hopefully more than "good" offensively, so there's really no need to add grandiose comments when describing him. 

To be clear, he was not the best defensive forward in hockey last year. He was one of the top defensive wingers. Forwards would have to include Barkov, Couturier, Bergeron, Kopitar, etc.

well this was just one analytic model. JFreshHockey had him even higher, i think in the top 3 of forwards. I just cant for the life of me find that tweet anywhere

10 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

well this was just one analytic model. JFreshHockey had him even higher, i think in the top 3 of forwards. I just cant for the life of me find that tweet anywhere

editL i may have been wrong about Jfresh,. I dont subscribe to the Elite Prospects Premium page, but I do know he wrote about a massive analytical improvement defensively, just not sure where he ranks him

another tweet frmo the same model around selke time last year

36 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

editL i may have been wrong about Jfresh,. I dont subscribe to the Elite Prospects Premium page, but I do know he wrote about a massive analytical improvement defensively, just not sure where he ranks him

another tweet frmo the same model around selke time last year

More credible because Bergeron, but still can't take it seriously, personally.

Kakko was told repeatedly to work on his 200 ft game. Be responsible defensively and the offense would come. He very obviously took that to heart and did as he was asked. This season he should focus on using his God given talent to hound the net and feed his linemates with tape to tape passes. He's only 6 games in and I have no doubt he will be an impact player starting this year. Chytil and Laf are way more of a concern if you're going by the eye test.

Just now, CBrowningPI said:

Kakko was told repeatedly to work on his 200 ft game. Be responsible defensively and the offense would come. He very obviously took that to heart and did as he was asked. This season he should focus on using his God given talent to hound the net and feed his linemates with tape to tape passes. He's only 6 games in and I have no doubt he will be an impact player starting this year. Chytil and Laf are way more of a concern if you're going by the eye test.

He hasn't been going to the net since he returned from injury. 

I think kakko has shown good puck control at times. But him on that line is like when you are walking down the hall and you come up to someone, and do the dance trying to figure out which way you're going walk past each other. It's not fluid. They're second guessing it. Stumbling over each other 

On 11/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, jsrangers said:

I guess if our goal is to never serious challenge for a cup sure. This plan would be treading water rather than taking any kind of meaningful step forward. I wouldn't consider them finally breaking out when the others are almost toast being a good thing at all.

Fair enough - but if they can at least manage to be effective roll players in the meantime, we should be in pretty good shape.