• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Need More From Lafrenière, Kakko

Phil

2. Rhetorical question time: Would anyone watching a Rangers game — be it a casual fan, student of the game or talent evaluator — be able to identify Alexis Lafreniere as a first-overall selection?

Lafreniere seems to be having less impact on the ice then he did during last year’s challenging rookie go-round. He is not driving play, he is not generating offense, he is not creating chances — though, yes, he does lead the team with three goals at five-on-five.

On the other side of the puck, Lafreniere’s failure to clear the zone on what appeared a rather weak effort to begin with, directly led to the sequence on which the Canucks tied Tuesday’s game in the third period. This less than a week after he was chastised for turnovers.

I wonder, with Lafreniere’s ongoing issues and Filip Chytil’s generally blah work, would it make sense to move No. 13 into the middle, which is where many personnel people believe he’s belonged from the start?

Because if Lafreniere can capably make the shift to center, that would sure solve a whole lot of issues going forward for the Rangers.

3. Is it fair to be concerned that Kaapo Kakko doesn’t have a point through six games (five games plus one period) and has faded away through the first two matches of this trip that began with a 3-1 victory in Vegas on Sunday?

Kakko has recorded eight shots, five in the opener in Washington and three against Columbus on Friday, when he returned from a four-game absence because of a suspected shoulder injury. He has, at least for the moment, been dropped from the penalty-kill rotation, replaced by a combination of Chris Kreider and Greg McKegg. He played only 12:32 in Tuesday’s game that featured just 40:39 of five-on-five.

You do want to give Kakko the benefit of the doubt off his strong work through training camp that he is still catching up from missing nearly two weeks. But, despite the fact that he has been on the ice with Panarin for 64:04 of his 70:07 at five-on-five, No. 24’s xGF rate of 37.48 leads only McKegg (and Morgan Barron) among team forwards per Natural Stat Trick.

Or maybe that is because he’s been with Panarin? Might be time for another top-six adjustment, perhaps moving Kakko up with Kreider and Zibanejad while dropping Barclay Goodrow down.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/03/rangers-have-no-chance-if-tops-stars-keep-playing-like-this/

Before last season I said ALF would make a bit of sense at C because of his style of game. Watch any of his team Canada games or juniors and he is everywhere on the ice more like a center rather than board play at all. It was always met with a shut down statement of “you don’t do that to a high level talent.”

Well, with him being a bit underwhelming, I don’t see why not give it a bit of a whirl at 3c. You can put him on a line with Goodrow to take draws until ALF feels comfortable along with Blais on the other wing. Maybe bump up Chytil to wing in the top 6 and see if that sparks a bit from either player. You really can’t get too much less than you already are getting from both. If it doesn’t work, so be it. 

Edited by Keirik
  • Like 1

Yeah not gonna lie, I'm disappointed in the output from both Lafreniere and Kakko in terms of output and from laf specifically level of play. Especially for what they've been hyped to be. Kakko at least looks good on the ice but still no production. Highes and Dack look better than Kakko in terms of output. Stutzle is having way more impact than Laf, and Raymond is having a hot start. Feels like we got that "this is where offense goes to die" kinda thing for two exciting prospects. I hope they figure it out.

Edited by Xander

I would be okay with minimal production if only we saw any flashes of what made them such high draft picks. I’ve yet to be impressed by anything either of them has done. No display of skill or brilliance what so ever.

Kakkos crappy around the net goal in that rookie camp was the most impressive thing either of them has done and that was against non-nhl players. 

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Need More From Lafrenière, Kakko

Would anyone watching a Rangers game — be it a casual fan, student of the game or talent evaluator — be able to identify Alexis Lafreniere as a first-overall selection?

he should of stopped there, the answer for me being easy -- no.

could ask the same question for Kakko being the second overall - same answer -- no

neither one has shown any consistency whatsoever as being an impactful stud we were sold. Very concerning, there's so many times where they're either invisible or bad compared to when they jump out for being those great 1 and 2 overalls.

It always seems to be about they're never put with the right players, (same with Chytil). I would think they would actually be able to show something way more regardless of who they were on a line with.  

If we keep lowering the bar enough maybe the will eventually hit it?

7 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

could ask the same question for Kakko being the second overall - same answer -- no

neither one has shown any consistency whatsoever as being an impactful stud we were sold. Very concerning, there's so many times where they're either invisible or bad compared to when they jump out for being those great 1 and 2 overalls.

It always seems to be about they're never put with the right players, (same with Chytil). I would think they would actually be able to show something way more regardless of who they were on a line with.  

I personally think Laf should see some AHL time even just to gain some confidence. But I dont see that happening anytime soon. 

16 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Gauthier clicked with Chytil and Lafreniere  last year. Give it another go.

PS, Gauthier was driving play this year. It was much better than what we've see from Kakko or Lafreniere..  I mean... the AHL is an option for Kakko and Lafreniere.  RIGHT?

Sorry I meant by their 4-5th season. Looking at their slow development thus far, we're likely going to need to be patient for a couple more season with them.

Look at Sean Couturier as an example. Was no where in his first couple seasons, barely cracked 20 points. Now he's blossomed into a 30G, 60pt player. 

Edited by Karan

28 minutes ago, Karan said:

Sorry I meant by their 4-5th season. Looking at their slow development thus far, we're likely going to need to be patient for a couple more season with them.

Look at Sean Couturier as an example. Was no where in his first couple seasons, barely cracked 20 points. Now he's blossomed into a 30G, 60pt player. 

Are you sure moving a 2nd year player to a position he’s never played isn’t a better option?

i think we are justified in being frustrated (with past prospect issues still fresh and on-going), but yes, we need to be patient. We’re also a fan base that has never seen a young, high draft pick develop in front of us. It’s still new. Huberdeau was going to be the name I mentioned but Couturier is a good comparison too

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, josh said:

Are you sure moving a 2nd year player to a position he’s never played isn’t a better option?

i think we are justified in being frustrated (with past prospect issues still fresh and on-going), but yes, we need to be patient. We’re also a fan base that has never seen a young, high draft pick develop in front of us. It’s still new. Huberdeau was going to be the name I mentioned but Couturier is a good comparison too

I can't agree. Huberdeaus issues were injury related. He had 54 points as a rookie. 11 in 9 games before injury. Then 28 in 69, bouncing back with 31 in 48, 26 in 31... He always produced when healthy.

Laf... We could have seen this coming. Not an exceptionally good skater, not an exceptionally good shooter, not the most creative passer. Seems like he was just better than everyone else in his age group when he needed to be. He should probably be in the AHL right now because he's too good for junior and not good enough for the NHL. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1