• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Covid Career Shakeup

shestYORKin

quit my job during COVID after 18yrs. it served me and my family well but it was time. I had a transition plan but it didn’t exactly pan out so I’m underemployed for now. no complaints though, the adjustment has perks like less stress and an actual work/life balance. basically less death and less taxes. 

anyway with workforce shortages across the board I’m sure many people in the same boat. earlier this year Google put out a handful of certification programs to help people transition careers without previous experience in an attempt to fill some of the needs out there. I’m a fairly tech savvy number cruncher so I’m eyeballing the data analytics course. (not exactly hockey related as I still have a soft spot for grit and Blais’ bad penalties in the offensive zone). 

shot in the dark here if anyone’s familiar with the Google offerings or maybe going through a similar career shift right now with some success. I have questions. 🙂

• Cheers 1

I've never seen these Google certs, and not sure it would make me want a candidate more than anyone without. 

Also, a step backwards is a red flag. Not career necessarily in jobs, but if someone has a Bachelor degree and goes back for an associates in something else - it's a red flag. That indicates they either have non transferable skills or they simply don't understand how their knowledge,  skills and abilities can be transferable into different jobs.

What did you do? What do you want to do?

Right now, it's all about attitude. Willingness to learn, try, and show up for work. 

My wife is a mental mess with her job. I'm overworked as fuck but I don't care enough. She's a carer and a worrier so it's been a struggle. She can't transition to anything because she's terrible at valuing her job-related experience and finding something she likes. She also has better benefits than I've seen since pre-ACA. 

not exactly concerned with red flags. I could get back on the same horse with my resume. it’s just soul sucking and not what I want to do anymore (hasn’t been for a long time). I’m fortunate to have always shunned debt & planned/invested so we’re not under the gun financially. also being married to a supportive spouse with a solid job herself is a plus. 

I’m looking for something new and challenging. I’ve got a leadership background so the people skills are there (outside of twitter and hockey boards). going the tech route would give me a different baseline altogether. it fits my profile and I love the idea of possibly working remotely and being easily relocatable.

what Google is doing appears pretty bold. they’re partnering with over a hundred companies to feed them new workers who have specifically switched careers for this. I feel like if they can help me get my foot in the door I can use my previous experience to move up on a team and add value.

1 hour ago, josh said:

My wife is a mental mess with her job. I'm overworked as fuck but I don't care enough. She's a carer and a worrier so it's been a struggle. She can't transition to anything because she's terrible at valuing her job-related experience and finding something she likes. She also has better benefits than I've seen since pre-ACA. 

sorry to hear about this. work stress can do a real number on a person or a couple for that matter. gotta keep the main thing the main thing. 

I'm 38 and counting days. 

4,077 days until I quit, and semi retire. Plan is to drive an auto parts van, or bakey van, I don't care, at age 50 until 55.

I switched employers  almost two years ago, have golden hand cuffs, can't leave, fucking hate it. 

I switched jobs a few weeks ago. Went from law enforcement to the private sector. Spent eleven years in LE but wanted to focus more on my family instead of being on call and mandatoried to work, etc. The new job allows me to transition my investigative skills into the financial sector. I work remote and make the same money. It was kind of a no brainer when I laid out the pros and cons list.

I would have never left without the exit plan I had in place. Financially it wasn't a concern because the money was the same and my wife is pretty stable in her job but losing the "cop" identity has been the tough part. Every cop is counting down to retirement and towards that middle/end of career, most are burnt out.

Best of luck to you in your new endeavor. I think job training skills and certificates are a good way to transition into a new field without going back for an advanced degree. Google has certainly changed the world so relying on them as your job trainer is probably a good choice.

Edited by jsm7302

I think I can probably help a bit. I was a teacher for seven years until I transitioned into software engineering five years ago, completely self taught. Work at FB now after jumping every year or so through a few places. 

I've talked with a lot of personal friends who went through similar experiences and my advice is always the same: what you're attempting to do is very difficult, so start with, "am I really going to love doing this more than what I was doing?". If you can't answer that question, my advice is to stop and take some more time to think. The reason is that those certification courses are just skills based. You can always learn new skills. What you can't learn is passion and the mindset you'll need to succeed at whatever new venture you're taking, which will require you to essentially be the dumbest person in the room every day for several years. I taught myself through a variety of free online courses, so the path is perfectly valid.

Second piece of advice: your prior experience is extremely valuable in the technical world today that is filled with smart but extremely naive and unexperienced people many of whom have spent the first ~5 years of their life at the same company. Think about how you're going to tell that story about how your prior experience will inform your success both individually and for mentorship. It doesn't mean you need to do it immediately, but begin crafting that right away, because if it doesn't sound good to you now, you are not getting a position ahead of a cheaper and younger individual. 

Best of luck and feel free to DM if you would like to chat further. I know for me it was the best decision I ever made as I get to pursue what was my hobby at the time professionally, but for a lot of firsthand and secondhand acquaintances, what has looked easy has really not been. Lots of very late nights reading what other people are doing, and lots of intentionally going out of my comfort zone. 

• Cheers 1