• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Quenneville Resigns as Coach of Panthers; Torts Among Top Candidates to Replace Him?

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Quenneville Out in Florida; Torts Among Top Candidates to Replace Him?
  • Phil changed the title to Quenneville Resigns as Coach of Panthers; Torts Among Top Candidates to Replace Him?

I imagine this was Bettman basically sitting down with him face to face and saying the effects to the league would be catastrophic if any of the executives that turned a blind eye to the Beach incident, were still employed within the league, and that he had to quit immediately. I doubt he was given much choice. "Resigned" is just the usual language for press release statements. 

Edited by Karan

7 minutes ago, josh said:

They gotta ban them. 

Gary needs to come out and do that. Make it perfectly clear the NHL does not tolerate this.

I was just wondering about this. The whole thing just has this flavor still that the League and the CHI ownership are trying to sweep things under the rug and get the bad PR off their backs by getting the key players to quietly "resign". The same as they've been doing with Beach's court case.

It's like guys just get out of the picture until the heat dies down and we'll appease the public by making it seem like we took "action". But there hasn't really been any real ramifications for the parties involved has there? I can't imagine how Beach must be feeling but just feels like the League is just pussyfooting around this and afraid to take any real action. 

Edited by Karan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karan said:

I was just wondering about this. The whole thing just has this flavor still that the League and the CHI ownership are trying to sweep things under the rug and get the bad PR off their backs by getting the key players to quietly "resign". The same as they've been doing with Beach's court case.

It's like guys just get out of the picture until the heat dies down and we'll appease the public by making it seem like we took "action". But there hasn't really been any real ramifications for the parties involved has there? I can't imagine how Beach must be feeling but just feels like the League is just pussyfooting around this and afraid to take any real action. 

Yeah. We know he'll show up as an assistant coach in Arizona or St Louis in a year and a half.

Somehow, I think Bettman's little chat involved more than just a friendly suggestion.  The rest of the league knows that, so I don't think anyone is going to turn around and hire Quenneville any time soon.  He'll have to endure some time in the wilderness before getting another job, if ever.

I'm afraid to read the materials from Beach's legal matter which explain what this guy did.  Marginal players will do anything, especially playing while injured or fighting, to save their careers.  The perp here carefully chose a marginal player who would be terrified of what the guy could do if he did not submit.

• Like 2

Whole thing is such a shame. I can’t believe so many people would cover up this when it wasn’t them in the first place. To me, it shows the pressure on “just win baby” and how we all need to take a step back and see the big picture. These are people. Flawed humans. Winning cannot trump human decency. We all need to be better. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The OMHA is licking their lips at this new opportunity to charge me $100 more dollars to learn why diddling little boys is bad, so I can go on tbe ice and help a team out one hour a week. 

Thanks, Chicago. You're basically Graham James, the Organization. 

• LOL 1

Does anyone think bringing in Tortorella is the right move?

I mean, we are talking about protecting the players... he doesnt have the best history, there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sean-avery-savages-john-tortorella-new-book-164531904.html

“It seemed to me that Tortorella was trying to make life as difficult as he could for Boogey,” Avery writes. “Tortorella could give two shits about players who can’t help him win, whereas great coaches protect their players as long as their names are on the team’s roster.”

“I reached my breaking point with how Tortorella was treating Boogaard, and spoke to many people about it,” he writes. “We hated it, and felt guilty that we could not stop the torment of Boogaard, but we played on, more for ourselves than for that lunatic running the show.”