• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Good Is Blais?

The Dude

Look. I still think Drury screwed up this trade. I question whether they needed to trade Buchnevich and use the money saved on Goodrow and Nemeth. 

None the less.  Sammy Blais is a fucking gamer. He really brings a lot to the table. As of now he's the best pick up of the offseason. 

Is there anything he doesn't do besides stay out of the box? 

I'm glad the Rangers have a coach who will let a player like this have such a long leash. Past coaches would make examples of such a player, whom walks that line. 

He's already GOT TO BE the top candidate for the Steven McDonald award.  

So, I gotta tip  my hat to Drury for grabbing this guy, because he is exactly what this team needed more of. Props to those of you here who talked him up over the summer too. Hopefully this kid can stick around and not fizzle out ala Todd Harvey back in the day. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Look. I still think Drury screwed up this trade. I question whether they needed to trade Buchnevich and use the money saved on Goodrow and Nemeth. 

None the less.  Sammy Blais is a fucking gamer. He really brings a lot to the table. As of now he's the best pick up of the offseason. 

Is there anything he doesn't do besides stay out of the box? 

I'm glad the Rangers have a coach who will let a player like this have such a long leash. Past coaches would make examples of such a player, whom walks that line. 

He's already GOT TO BE the top candidate for the Steven McDonald award.  

So, I gotta tip  my hat to Drury for grabbing this guy, because he is exactly what this team needed more of. Props to those of you here who talked him up over the summer too. Hopefully this kid can stick around and not fizzle out ala Todd Harvey back in the day. 

This post contradicts itself lmao

All the guys Drury brought in have been good. Sammy Blais has certainly stood out and I look forward to him burying a few people in front of the home fans. 

Also conditioning as been mentioned as a reason why the Rangers take over games late. I don't think it'c conditioning, I think it's physicality. They beat the piss out of their opponents for 60 minutes. 

Glad to see that line doing well. I hope they keep them together. 

Spread out the size, spread out the skill. It's really going to give the team a real identity. Those bottom 6 guys are big moves individually, but when they compliment linemates (as Blais has done, and what they were brought in to do) it truly changes the dynamic of team. This is what were getting excited about. 

• Like 5

Blais has exceeded my expectations. Watching him hook up with Lafreniere on that goal in Nashville was really fun and such a saucy play. I know people have said the Rangers have been better late in games and third periods, possibly because of better conditioning. That may be true, but I think a big factor is Blais basically steam-rolling all of the opposition to the point where they have nothing left by then. lol

He really looked good in preseason,I thought maybe that we the reason he 

Looked so good,but it had carried on to the regular season,I still 'Don't see why St Louis traded him away ,he is young tough to play against has good hands and is cheap

57 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Blais has exceeded my expectations. Watching him hook up with Lafreniere on that goal in Nashville was really fun and such a saucy play. I know people have said the Rangers have been better late in games and third periods, possibly because of better conditioning. That may be true, but I think a big factor is Blais basically steam-rolling all of the opposition to the point where they have nothing left by then. lol

I'm starting to think that the Rangers third periods have been stronger for that same reason, Sharpy.  There may be more to that than meets the eye.  I'll be watching to see if "wearing them down" is part of the equation with this squad, but basically that's "playoff type" hockey.

42 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Looked so good,but it had carried on to the regular season,I still 'Don't see why St Louis traded him away ,he is young tough to play against has good hands and is cheap

I thought I heard Joe Mich say during the game that St Louis didn't really want to trade him.  I give Drury credit for prying him away!  The guy looks like a real score for us so far!

Edited by Ozzy

7 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I really don’t understand why stl traded Hindi curious what the thinking is there

Blues fans said he's really incosistent, not really lived up to the potential and injury troubles. Kind of a Kreider lite I guess. Besides they needed more top line talent, so it was a good trade for them.

With that in mind, and already getting a "how good is this guy??" thread after 5 games, he'll probably cool off for a period now lol.

That said - I am also a big Blais fan already. Hits everything in front of him, doesn't take shit from anyone and has speed and skill. Can't really ask for more. Just need him to be consistent and try his hardest to stay out of the box and we have a really good bottom 6 winger in Blais.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

11 hours ago, josh said:

Glad to see that line doing well. I hope they keep them together. 

Spread out the size, spread out the skill. It's really going to give the team a real identity. Those bottom 6 guys are big moves individually, but when they compliment linemates (as Blais has done, and what they were brought in to do) it truly changes the dynamic of team. This is what were getting excited about. 

I'm with you on this one. Blais plays such an important role on that line and Lafreniere looks way more confident with him around. Blais fits like a glove on this team, and once Gallant and the staff help him get the penalties in check, he's going to be a very scary player for us for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I really don’t understand why stl traded Hindi curious what the thinking is there

46 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

STL needed more skill on the wing. They had a lot of Blais-type, we didn't have enough, and vice versa.