• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp Sucks and Retires; Arthur Staple Takes Over Athletic Beat

Blue Heaven

Just now, siddious said:

Rick is a nice guy but he's been phoning it in for a while now.

Mercogliano is the man if he takes over that would be awesome. Though I hope he keeps doing his podcast.

It's just now what he signed up to do anymore. From his column:

Players on Zooms or in press-conference settings only. No locker rooms. No relationships. No one-on-ones. I have yet to have a conversation with Alexis Lafrenière. I don’t think I’ve had a personal talk with Chris Kreider since he signed his contract. I have zero relationship with Gallant. This is a problem that one day, fingers crossed, will change.

• Phil changed the title to Rick Carpiniello is Retiring at the End of the Month; Athletic to Name Replacement
1 hour ago, Xander said:

I'm okay with less boomer takes from a paid news site. Thanks for your effort, I guess? Hope they find a strong replacement.

There is a fine line between "boomer takes" and the younger bent in the direction of all analytics.  There has to be a happy medium between Carp telling my Trouba is actually great, and the Dom Luszczyszyn/Shayna Goldman telling Me Goodrow is the worst because his turds average 2.435 inches in length. 

Give me analysis with some solid contacts and relationships. 

43 minutes ago, Flynn said:

There is a fine line between "boomer takes" and the younger bent in the direction of all analytics.  There has to be a happy medium between Carp telling my Trouba is actually great, and the Dom Luszczyszyn/Shayna Goldman telling Me Goodrow is the worst because his turds average 2.435 inches in length. 

Trouble is he had neither. I don't like the analytics-only approach either. I like a nice combo of what we're seeing on the ice reinforced by analytics. The Athletic has some great writers who do this in other sports. I want to see it adapted for the Rangers.

He reads like my dad wrote it, and my dad, well...

4 hours ago, Flynn said:

I respect that you wrote his name out correctly because after the third z I would just start smacking my keyboard and hoping no one notices

• LOL 2

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sounds like it. Staple said something recently that the plan was to cover the Rangers full-time.

Much like Joe Micheletti, he has graduated from NY's B team to NY's A team now. Congrats to him. Hope he does a better job than Carp did. 

• Cheers 1