• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Would You Pay Big for Pettersson Over Eichel?

RangersIn7

I wouldnt make a trade for Petterson, however I would go the offer sheet route.  

You have to think if the Rangers get him with an offer sheet it would be 4 1st round picks, at this stage of the Rangers you would hope those 4 picks would be in the mid-late 20's - early 30's in those 4 years.  Rangers have an abundance of young guys to get through the next 4-6-7 years w/o those 1st rounders.  Also, with the abundance of high end prospects, + a Strome, or a player that may not be in the plans at the trade deadline  can always be flipped to gain 1st round picks.  

Also, Dolan wants to win, and he wants to win NOW, so he could care less about those 4 draft picks if it means Petterson can be the player that advances the Rangers to the next level.  

9 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

You have to think if the Rangers get him with an offer sheet it would be 4 1st round picks, at this stage of the Rangers you would hope those 4 picks would be in the mid-late 20's - early 30's in those 4 years.  Rangers have an abundance of young guys to get through the next 4-6-7 years w/o those 1st rounders.  Also, with the abundance of high end prospects, + a Strome, or a player that may not be in the plans at the trade deadline  can always be flipped to gain 1st round picks.  

Also, Dolan wants to win, and he wants to win NOW, so he could care less about those 4 draft picks if it means Petterson can be the player that advances the Rangers to the next level.  

The only way this works is offersheeting Petterson and then trading Zib for a 1st.

They can't fit Petterson and Zib the same as they can't afford Eichel and Zib. For a team that's supposed to compete now, is Petterson and Strome down the middle better than Zib and Strome? 

Zib might not love the physical games but he has the frame. Petterson is 6-2 but 176...Is he suddenly gonna add 20 pounds to keep him from being a rag doll?

15 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Even then, the offer would have to be so ridiculous that Vancouver let's their franchise player leave.