• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bitetto, Brodzinski, Gettinger, Greco, Kinkaid, Ronning on Waivers

The goalie carousel  is always tough. There's always a very limited # of teams needing goalies and the spots fill quick. It's hard to trade a goalie like Georgiev, even when his value was highest before last season.

He was an undrafted FA, so regardless, we aren't losing anything in the grand scheme of things if we end up walking from him after an Arb award. We got more out of him than most undrafted goalies will give a team. 

I would be fine with Kinkaid as our backup. But also happy with him staying fresh in the AHL and coming up when needed. Every year teams need a third goalie to come up for spot starts here and there. Hope for his sake he gets claimed and has a full time NHL Backup job though. he deserves it. Georgiev at least has a higher ceiling if he can regain his prevoius form. Last year was an odd one overall. I'm willing to forgive subpar seasons for players in the COVID year

1 hour ago, Xander said:

My biggest concern with Georgiev is he's an RFA with arbitration rights next summer. If he gets a decent sized award, do we walk away? Or do we waste cap space on a goaltender that has gotten worse every season?

Walk away. 100%.

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

The goalie carousel  is always tough. There's always a very limited # of teams needing goalies and the spots fill quick. It's hard to trade a goalie like Georgiev, even when his value was highest before last season.

He was an undrafted FA, so regardless, we aren't losing anything in the grand scheme of things if we end up walking from him after an Arb award. We got more out of him than most undrafted goalies will give a team. 

I would be fine with Kinkaid as our backup. But also happy with him staying fresh in the AHL and coming up when needed. Every year teams need a third goalie to come up for spot starts here and there. Hope for his sake he gets claimed and has a full time NHL Backup job though. he deserves it. Georgiev at least has a higher ceiling if he can regain his prevoius form. Last year was an odd one overall. I'm willing to forgive subpar seasons for players in the COVID year

Same happened with Talbot years back.

Even the deepest analytics people admit it's the position with the most volatility and variance, making it incredibly difficult to project much of anything against.

That said, I think the Rangers have proven that paying their backup is not a requirement. They have routinely been able to sign quality backups, some of whom take huge steps under the guidance of Allaire, and cash in elsewhere. So be it.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't care about a fourth-round pick. Normalize walking away from mediocre players again. Not everyone has to be traded.

It also gets him off the ice. But I didn't realize Kinkaids numbers were worse than Georgiev's (by a significant margin). Going for the playoffs, we need a backup that can win us games.

1 minute ago, Xander said:

It also gets him off the ice. But I didn't realize Kinkaids numbers were worse than Georgiev's (by a significant margin). Going for the playoffs, we need a backup that can win us games.

I'm not saying get rid of him now, I'm saying walk away from him after this deal. Korpisalo, Francouz, Halak, Lagace, etc. are all UFA next summer.

Wall will be 24. Huska will be 25. Maybe one of them is ready for a full-time role?

13 minutes ago, Xander said:

Yes, but I rather get a 4th rounder or something than walk away. Because it's not like he's doing us any good on the ice. He's regressed four seasons straight and is trending in the wrong direction.

I hear ya man, It's tough to just watch a player walk for nothing, but in this case I figure fuck it, it's 2.45 million to our cap space.  Georgiev is an addition by subtraction in my eyes, X man!

Just now, Phil said:

It's tough to watch good players walk away for nothing. I'm not losing a wink of sleep when Geo leaves and signs with the Devils, or the Leafs. I don't care. He's your problem now.

Yeah, good point boss!  I was never a big Georgiev fan.  He's so bad on breakaways, and his stick work on opponent dump-ins is pretty weak from my viewpoint.  He rarely if ever can help a defenseman like Shesterkin can.  Shesty seems like a 3rd defenseman back there some games.

Definitely not gonna give it a second thought when he's gone....Kinda like a dissipating fart smell.  LOL

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm not saying get rid of him now, I'm saying walk away from him after this deal. Korpisalo, Francouz, Halak, Lagace, etc. are all UFA next summer.

Wall will be 24. Huska will be 25. Maybe one of them is ready for a full-time role?

I hear ya. I meant this year. It's time to make the playoffs. That's easier to do when your backup isn't dropping winnable games.

5 minutes ago, Xander said:

I hear ya. I meant this year. It's time to make the playoffs. That's easier to do when your backup isn't dropping winnable games.

Well, he's not going anywhere this year, clearly. Kinkaid isn't much better, and is already waived, so they'll roll with this tandem until they don't have to anymore. All I'm saying is, I'm not bending over backwards to keep a mediocre and expensive backup.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I guess I'm alone in thinking that there's no such thing as a "backup" in the NHL anymore since the splits aren't 70/12 like 2006...

Also Shesty is anything but durable, making that position very important for us.

You’re not alone. Gone for the most part are 70+ game starters. I agree with you there which is why I’m surprised the Rangers have kept Geo and didn’t address that with a bit more trustworthy experienced guy. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I guess I'm alone in thinking that there's no such thing as a "backup" in the NHL anymore since the splits aren't 70/12 like 2006...

Also Shesty is anything but durable, making that position very important for us.

Not at all. The term is a carryover. The role has increased, but there are always options. I'm not bending over backwards to keep Geo.

2 hours ago, josh said:

Did Kinkaid play in preseason action at all? did I miss that?

I guess I'm surprised he was sent down this early, but perhaps to avoid getting claimed.

Also , is he wearing the red pads?

He got injured in camp and didnt play. Probably still injured