• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Preseason Game #1: Rangers vs Islanders, 7pm, MSG

Phil

56 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

At the game tonight.

Lundkvist doesn’t look ready yet. He just seems small and doesn’t quite have the North American game down yet. I think he could use AHL time. Let him get more used to the physicality and pace.

Tinordi is dogshit. Nothing else there.

Lafreniere looks quicker and is making solid enough plays.

Kravstov has made some questionable plays but nothing completely awful.

Hunt looks solid and is at least chucking at the net. Had a big hit and was quick to come to Chytil’s defense.

Cuylle looks comfortable but hasn’t had much time to show anything.

Rempe on the other hand seems to have too many opportunities and is flubbing everything.  He’s just way too inexperienced to be out there. I appreciate that he tries to hit everything but he’s well below the pace of play.

All of this held up. Pretty disappointing but it didn’t help that they ran 11 forwards all game with Goodrow out. 

I was pretty disappointed with Kravtsov tonight. I thought he looked a bit slow and out of sorts for most of the game. Preseasoni know but he’s been given the keys to a top 6 position and this is a new coach. I expected that jump he had his first games in the NHL. 

1 hour ago, NYR2711 said:

Terrible play. They started out well, but fell apart midway through the first. I expected more from them tonight. The biggest issue is that Georgiev still looks like shit, giving up soft goals. 

Tonight's takeaway.

14 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I was pretty disappointed with Kravtsov tonight. I thought he looked a bit slow and out of sorts for most of the game. Preseasoni know but he’s been given the keys to a top 6 position and this is a new coach. I expected that jump he had his first games in the NHL. 

He has been practicing his fighting, just wait until his first one. He will show you.

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Ditto with Chytil. I think that line started strong for the first 2-3 shifts or however many it had with Goodrow on it. Then both Chytil and Krav tried to do too much and sucked at the simple plays once Hunt got thrown on that line. Hunt was fine by himself but just didn't gel with Krav and Chytil as well except for one sustained shift.

• Applause 1

4 hours ago, Xander said:

Can't have bad advanced stats if you aren't on the ice!

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Mika still has covid 

Welcome back gang to the 2021-2022 Ozzy Quotes of the GDT:

Since it's just exhibition, I'll keep it simple, but I will have 3 finalists that I'll rep for the funniest, or most entertaining posts in the GDT.

...and tonight's winner is Xander's take on Goodrow's new back massage tactic.  That really was a 5 star cross check into the boards!

winner GIF

• LOL 1

39 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Ditto with Chytil. I think that line started strong for the first 2-3 shifts or however many it had with Goodrow on it. Then both Chytil and Krav tried to do too much and sucked at the simple plays once Hunt got thrown on that line. Hunt was fine by himself but just didn't gel with Krav and Chytil as well except for one sustained shift.

I’ll always defer to those in the house for the game. You see things we can’t. Bummed about your take on Nils. I’m less worried about him and more worried about Kravtsov and Chytil. Our success for this year really depends a lot on the replacement of Buch’s production on wing and Chytils ability to replace Strome the following year. I’d personally lock up Strome but I get the hesitation because of what Mika demands. I have more confidence though in Strome if that makes sense because I don’t believe his last two years were playing above his ceiling while I think Mika might be? Who knows.

• Like 1

Have they ever gotten booed after a preseason game? lol Damn. I only saw bits and pieces, but that was quite dreadful. LIke Keith said, I'm really hoping Kravtsov and Chytil can produce this year, or else there could be problems. Buchnevich is a 70 point player which is a fair amount of production to replace. It's a lot to ask of Krav to do in what will be his first full season in the league. If Chytil doesn't sniff 60 or so points this year, then I don't know where the offense is going to come from that's not Mika or Panarin. I like Strome, so I'm not too worried about him, but if some of these others really don't become consistent contributors, I am a bit concerned about the offense.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Welcome back gang to the 2021-2022 Ozzy Quotes of the GDT:

Since it's just exhibition, I'll keep it simple, but I will have 3 finalists that I'll rep for the funniest, or most entertaining posts in the GDT.

...and tonight's winner is Xander's take on Goodrow's new back massage tactic.  That really was a 5 star cross check into the boards!

winner GIF

Thank You Thank You Applause GIF by Warner Archive

• LOL 2
  • Applause 2

• Phil unpinned this topic
10 hours ago, Keirik said:

I’ll always defer to those in the house for the game. You see things we can’t. Bummed about your take on Nils. I’m less worried about him and more worried about Kravtsov and Chytil. Our success for this year really depends a lot on the replacement of Buch’s production on wing and Chytils ability to replace Strome the following year. I’d personally lock up Strome but I get the hesitation because of what Mika demands. I have more confidence though in Strome if that makes sense because I don’t believe his last two years were playing above his ceiling while I think Mika might be? Who knows.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned re: Lundkvist. His game did improve as the night went on. I'm just not sure if it was enough that he could feasibly prepare himself for an NHL season in two weeks. Lundkvist would slow down a little too much retrieving pucks near the boards as if he was afraid he'd get leveled if he got there sooner. Based on that, I was fearful for him because I knew he could definitely reach those pucks faster than he did. There was one instance, though, where he came away with the puck after contact in the corner where I was sure he'd lose possession. Good on him for improving there. I feel like they were trying to get him in there for offensive situations more than anything. Unfortunately, he didn't have much of a chance to show what he can do with the puck. It didn't help that Nemeth was ripping way more shots than he should.

I'm giving Jones the advantage based on what I saw in his cup of coffee last season. He looked more capable of getting the puck out of corners, making tape-to-tape passes, and walking the blueline. I was actually in awe last season of how often Jones will hit players right on their tape. He has a Fox-level risk mitigation where he'll only attempt passes towards players he knows for sure he can hit on their tape. Curious to see how he too handles tough size matchups, though.

Neither Jones nor Lundkvist have displayed the calm that Fox displayed in his rookie season. Fox focused on simplicity and defense before letting any of his offense really shine through. Jones and Lundkvist seem like they're more likely to flex their offensive muscles first.

--

Chytil was more disappointing to me than Kravtsov.

Krav, I felt, mostly made errors while trying to clear the zone or cycle. He had at least two errant clears that allowed the Islanders to continue offensive pressure. He also just wasn't putting enough behind passes he was whipping around the boards and made some passes that were a little obvious. He had a few decent opportunities where he was just slightly behind the play. One where he was too slow to receive a pass and another where he hadn't spun around fast enough.

Chytil just looked like he was trying the same shit as always. I didn't notice him in any type of positive manner. Seemed like he was trying the same shit with zone entires where he just attempts to deke his way through. Buddy, it's year four. Come on. Vary it up a little. This isn't juniors where you can finesse through the opposition on every play with your head down. Chytil has talent out the wazoo with no brain. It'll be a miracle if Goodrow can help simplify his game as his linemate. Oh and he's still fucking dogshit at faceoffs. 36%

Also, I get the impression Henriksson will be late cut. He was unremarkable yet steady. I could very much see them telling him to go to Hartford instead of back to Frolunda. He was very strong defensively. Just a little too slow to do much of anything offensively. I think he also may have been uncomfortable playing the wing.

Edit: Never mind, then. Got sent back to Frolunda immediately.

• LOL 1