• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Name Ryan Martin AGM of Rangers; GM of Hartford Wolfpack

Phil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin comes to Broadway after 16 years in the Red Wings’ front office, 12 of which he served as assistant general manager.

He was also general manager of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins, who, under his lead, captured two Calder Cup championships over a five-year span.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/13/rangers-hire-ryan-martin-as-new-assistant-general-manager/

Maybe Hartford won’t suck anymore @josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe they will. What players has Detroit been pumping out lately?

What does this even mean? The AHL GM isn't responsible for filling the system with prospects or deciding where prospects play. The AHL GM is responsible for bringing in AHL vets to field a competitive team, so any prospects that the NHL club does send to the AHL can play in a winning environment. Tatar, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, Mrazek all benefitted from being in a winning environment and making Calder Cup winning playoff runs.

What does this even mean? The AHL GM isn't responsible for filling the system with prospects or deciding where prospects play. The AHL GM is responsible for bringing in AHL vets to field a competitive team, so any prospects that the NHL club does send to the AHL can play in a winning environment. Tatar, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, Mrazek all benefitted from being in a winning environment and making Calder Cup winning playoff runs.

The Wings are also renowned for "over-ripening" their players. So many key cogs on their oughts clubs spent an extra year or two in the A.

See, this is where I get confused as to giving Drury credit for Hartford. They've done neither of the things you want from your AHL team. Which should primarily be to develop your prospects, but also to bring in AHL vets to make a competitive team. They've won nothing and developed very little under Drury.

Anyway,

Without development of the prospects what's the point? Detroit hasn't really been pumping out players or a winning culture. They've missed the playoffs for 5 straight and were eliminated in the first rounds the 3 seasons prior. It's like they've been rebuilding for 8 years now. I don't consider the organization as "good" for quite some time.

They can win the Calder Cup every year with the Brendan Pirris (I don't know if he was with them,

it's just an AHL lifer that popped into my head) of the world, but it doesn't seem to translate to much at the next level.

Can this guy develop the ass load of prospects that should be in Hartford this year? Or would he rather play AHL vets to get a shot at the title?

Phil listed the guys they've produced lately. I dunno. Not really thinking the Wings are on the rise any time soon.

Link:

--

Explains the lateral move. He's AGM of an NHL team now, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He was in detroit too

Martin spent the last 14 years in the Wings’ organization, including the last nine as the team’s assistant general manager and general manager of the AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2021/08/13/ryan-martin-leaving-red-wings-rangers-front-office-job/8124066002/

I think it has more to do with this;

Martin had been sharing the title of assistant GM since 2019 with Pat Verbeek, after the hiring of general manager Steve Yzerman.

From the same article

What article says that? He's from Connecticut and knows Drury from USA Hockey.

also found this

The longtime Assistant GM of the Detroit Red Wings was considered a close confidant to Steve Yzerman and will now bring his acumen to the Blueshirts.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-hire-ryan-martin-as-new-assistant-gm-and-wolf-pack-gm-who-is-he/

As I said before I thought it was the Post article that stated that so my bad, take it with a grain of salt.

it used to be that the rangers would poach personnel from the winning organizations.

They did. Grand Rapids won the Calder Cup with Martin as AGM (2013) and then again as GM (2017). He was also Director of Hockey Administration when the Wings last won the Cup in '08.