• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Shesterkin "Getting Close' on Long-Term Deal Worth $5.75–6 Million Per Year

Phil

What's the deal with Shesterin's RFA status? When is he eligible to be a UFA? I'm having a hard time figuring out how many UFA years we'd be buying at 6 or 7 years.

If I use CapFriendly ArmChair GM, it still has him as an RFA after 5 or 6 year extensions...at 30-31 years old. That can't be right can it?

What's the deal with Shesterin's RFA status? When is he eligible to be a UFA? I'm having a hard time figuring out how many UFA years we'd be buying at 6 or 7 years.

If I use CapFriendly ArmChair GM, it still has him as an RFA after 5 or 6 year extensions...at 30-31 years old. That can't be right can it?

I believe that he'd be subject to the same general provisions as Panarin was. So, assuming I'm right, Shesterkin would have been eligible to be a UFA at age 27, or in 2 years.

A five year deal buys 3 years of UFA, in that case.

Shesterkin has 2 years of RFA status left.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#ufa

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. Any player who meets the following requirements becomes an unrestricted free agent (UFA):

Is 27 years of age on June 30 of the contract expiry year

Has seven (7) Accrued Seasons where an Accrued Season is earned when the player was on the clubs active roster for 40 Regular Season games (30 if the player is a goaltender). Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury.

Meets the requirements for Group 6 UFA Status (See below)

An unrestricted free agent is eligible to sign a contract with any club as of noon ET on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract

Birthday is December 30th, so he'll be 27 two seasons.

Yeah, it's one or the other. "Is 27" or "has 7 accrued seasons"

Yeah, I'd be giving Shesterkin as many years as I can then. Maybe even 8 years...lock him up until 33. That covers all of his prime years. 6-6.5M for that is nothing, if he'll take it. I know there's some durability concerns here, but at that number there's money left there to have a good backup.

Yeah, I'd be giving Shesterkin as many years as I can then. Maybe even 8 years...lock him up until 33. That covers all of his prime years. 6-6.5M for that is nothing, if he'll take it. I know there's some durability concerns here, but at that number there's money left there to have a good backup.

Yeah, I'm not really opposed to that. My read on the salary cap balance is that you want to spend ~10% of your total cap on goaltending (~55-60% on forwards, and 30-35% on D), so him and Georgiev or Kinkaid or Lundqvist combining for under 8 is just fine.

If we managed to lock him up under 6m x 5 years it really eases a few things. I’m just still a little leery about potential injury problems. I can’t tell yet if he’s the type that fights through nagging little issues or is the type that needs constant maintenance days off

I think that too.

Lock him up for as long as possible.

7-8 years at $6 million or below looks awesome.

More years = more UFA years = higher AAV, not lower. You're effectively asking him to forego free agency entirely whereas a six-year deal takes him to 31, giving him a genuine shot to hit the market at least once in his career.

More years = more UFA years = higher AAV, not lower. You're effectively asking him to forego free agency entirely whereas a six-year deal takes him to 31, giving him a genuine shot to hit the market at least once in his career.

Correct. You want to give him 5.9 over 6 years. I'd be happy to go to 6.5 to lock in 8.

Correct. You want to give him 5.9 over 6 years. I'd be happy to go to 6.5 to lock in 8.

At 8, I think he's looking at $7–7.5 million per. You're asking him to give up two more (critical) years of UFA. That's gotta bear out financially over the life of the deal. Don't look at the year-to-year difference, calculate the cumulative difference.

At 8, I think he's looking at $7–7.5 million per. You're asking him to give up two more (critical) years of UFA. That's gotta bear out financially over the life of the deal. Don't look at the year-to-year difference, calculate the cumulative difference.

I'd go up to 7M. An extra million or so per year doesn't break our back as much compared to being in a situation where we are renegotiating another long term contract at 31. I don't think anyone wants another Hank contract carrying a goalie to 38 years old.

I'd go up to 7M. An extra million or so per year doesn't break our back as much compared to being in a situation where we are renegotiating another long term contract at 31. I don't think anyone wants another Hank contract carrying a goalie to 38 years old.

Right, but the player may want that.