• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign "veteran with size and strength" to Fill 7D Role

Phil

The Rangers are believed to be still searching for a veteran with size-and-strength attributes to assume the role as seventh defenseman after the club decided to move on from impending free agent Brendan Smith.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/26/rangers-expected-to-sign-patrik-nemeth-in-nhl-free-agency/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

--

First thought was Gudbranson? Played for Gallant. RD. Probably Lundkvist insurance in the event he struggles or needs the odd night off?

How about Stanley Cup Winner Luke Schenn? His fancy stats were probably inflated playing on Tampa, and played protected minutes (averaged 10-12 minutes/night) and would be used as insurance. Coming off three 1-year contracts back to back to back at either $700k or $800k. Would certainly be cost effective. He doesn't block a ton of shots but he averaged 2.6 hits/game in those limited minutes.

Gudbranson feels like a good bet.

Gerard Gallant would never admit it (at least not before Sunday), but he hated seeing Erik Gudbranson traded. In a cap world, someone had to go. Losing him and Willie Mitchell changed the complexion of the blue line. Gallant valued Gudbranson’s game, how hard he could make it on opposing forwards. But Florida’s front office values a different kind of defender, and with one season remaining until his free agency, they weren’t going to ante up for Gudbranson’s skillset.

That, as much as anything else, is why Gallant (and close friend Mike Kelly) are no longer on the Florida bench. There was plenty of anger in the NHL community over the dismissal. There were a lot of surprised and angry texts from people I rarely hear from. Gallant righted a wayward ship and won a franchise-record 47 games last season, getting them to the playoffs for the second time in 15 years.

Link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/different-visions-led-split-gallant-panthers/

On top of. This is from the Nemeth article.

I should prob just read the article, huh?

EDIT: the bit about whiffing on getting Kakko a countryman is something I've been screaming from the rooftops for two years. Absurd that it hasn't been brought up until now but I'm glad it finally has. Guy was so homesick they had to fly a scout out to hang out with him (or someone like that).