• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Brennan Othmann in 1st Round (16th Pick)

Phil

1 minute ago, siddious said:

I will say with gallant gone maybe we will have a coach who’s job duties include coaching/developing young talent too. 

i doubt it.  Management/ownership thinks we're in the win now mode.  Next coach will be hired to win now, not develop our picks.  

I kinda think we are in "win now" mode....but there's no reason that a player couldn't be developed on a team that's in win now mode....Keeping him in the AHL for a spell could help that along, and maybe he can be used for stretches during the season in case of injury or if he is ahead of the curve in the A.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Othmann is a LW.

Everyone is a left wing.  Othmann's best attributes are his shot and blowing people up on the forecheck.  Those are things that should work well with Panarin.  He doesn't have to worry about carrying the puck with Panarin and Chytil out there.  Forecheck, hit people, and when Panarin has the puck find open ice and be ready for a one-timer.

It's hard to know what the Rangers expectations are for Othmann and Cuylle for that matter, but if they foresee both of them contributing as just 3rd and 4th liners they have too many LW's.   Kreider as much as he takes heat here is too valuable to trade.  Panarin is near impossible to trade.  Leaves 1 LW to move, but many here think that's a mistake.  If they want to win a cup in the next year or 2 I don't see how it isn't at least a consideration especially if you can get a top 6 RW or C out of it.

• 1 month later...