• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Brennan Othmann in 1st Round (16th Pick)

Phil

• 1 month later...

Well, it's important that junior hockey is protected, here.

Besides, there's plenty left for him to prove in Junior. He won't likely have a long playoff run this year, that may have to wait, and he's yet to make a WJC team.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Well, it's important that junior hockey is protected, here.

Besides, there's plenty left for him to prove in Junior. He won't likely have a long playoff run this year, that may have to wait, and he's yet to make a WJC team.

Yes. He'll only be 19. OHL for one more season would be the right decision...and slide that ELC.

Othmann had a goal, but took two bad penalties, directly blowing the game, and was a -4 in a surprising opening game loss to Owen Sound, at home.

You would think Flint could handle OS in R1, but not a good start.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Othmann had a goal, but took two bad penalties, directly blowing the game, and was a -4 in a surprising opening game loss to Owen Sound, at home.

You would think Flint could handle OS in R1, but not a good start.

He always takes bad penalties. That’s what will be sending him back to the O next season 

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Pete said:

Pretty sure the soonest we'll see him is next year. 

You're probably right, Pete.  I think the kid's going to be a good one though.  I would've liked to see him win a spot, but he's young, and has a bright future ahead of him.  I can wait!  ...it's just not easy, that's all!  LOL

Just now, Ozzy said:

You're probably right, Pete.  I think the kid's going to be a good one though.  I would've liked to see him win a spot, but he's young, and has a bright future ahead of him.  I can wait!  ...it's just not easy, that's all!  LOL

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the rules allow him to play in the NHL this year. 

Unless you can somehow come up after his season ends, but I'm not really sure throwing a player like him into a playoff chase or the playoffs themselves is really the best idea. 

Just now, Pete said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the rules allow him to play in the NHL this year. 

Unless you can somehow come up after his season ends, but I'm not really sure throwing a player like him into a playoff chase or the playoffs themselves is really the best idea. 

I'll roll with that though.  Either way.  It is probably best to let him get his game on in junior and develop.  We always say that's the best route for a lot of these players, so I'll go along with that route.  When he gets here, he's going to be a beast, and we can really use players like him in this lineup.

I kinda liken him to a cross between Ovechkin with that one-timer, and Tom Wilson with his size and toughness (Could you imagine?)  LOL

6 hours ago, josh said:

This is the latest I could find

Kind of odd that you can recall a player from Junior under emergency basis after already using an emergency call up from your AHL team.  Why wouldn't you just take another from the AHL team or from the ECHL team?  Although, I guess you could have some elite kid sitting in Junior that might be better than anyone in your farm system.